Tuesday, August 15, 2017

SUTS Day 15: Ricardo Montalban

Woof.


Movie lineup (all times in EST):

6:00AM Fiesta (1947)

8:00AM On An Island With You (1948)

10:00AM Two Weeks With Love (1950)

12:00PM Sombrero (1953)

1:45PM My Man and I (1952)

*Daily Cinema: 3:30PM Border Incident (1949)*

5:30PM Sayonara (1957)

*Previous TNT Alert! 8:00PM Latin Lovers (1953)*

10:00PM The Reluctant Saint (1962)

12:00AM Mystery Street (1950)

2:00AM Battleground (1949)

4:15AM Across the Wide Missouri (1951)


Daily Cinema: Border Incident (1949)

Ricardo Montalban stars in Border Incident, which is a drama about immigrants attempting to get into the country illegally via the Texas-Mexico border. There were a couple of reasons why I featured this movie today. One--I thought it, even now, has a startling basis in reality, two--I live on the Texas-Mexico border so this is a story for many people in my local area, either having family still in Mexico or having family who had to fight to become citizens, and three--because for today's times, this movie would be considered 'woke.' It's important, I think, for us to see why people make the choices they do sometimes, whether we agree with those choices or not. 
It's also important to see the dangers that people are willing to confront and possibly find out why they chose to undertake that danger, and the dangers awaiting those who make this decision are scary--deportation with no ability to return, death, murder, and imprisonment being among them--but because I live on the border, I already know how dangerous it is to be in parts of Mexico. I can understand why people see the risk of entering the country illegally as the lesser of the two evils and why they pursue it. But that's just from my perspective; I'm aware that many others stand on the other side of the fence--for reasons I can also understand--and that was another reason why I selected this film today. Every year I try to choose at least one film that reflects something current in society, and this year Border Incident just happened to be one of those films. My intent here isn't to start an argument or even a debate because I have no interest in changing anyone's mind, I just thought it would be a relevant movie to choose for the times we find ourselves in. 

If you plan to watch any of today's films, use the tag #summerunderthestars if you're talking about anything in today's lineup. If you watch Border Incident, let me know your thoughts and use the tag #atvdailycinema so I can see them. See you tomorrow!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment