Sunday, August 13, 2017

SUTS Day 13: Barbara Stanwyck



Movie lineup (all times in EST):

6:00AM So Big (1932)

7:30AM The Purchase Price (1932)

*Daily Cinema: 9:00AM Ladies They Talk About (1933)

*Previous Daily Cinema Alert! 10:30AM The Mad Miss Manton (1938)*
When was it featured? SUTS Day 20: Hattie McDaniel (2013)

*Previous TNT Alert! 12:00PM The Lady Eve (1941)*

*Previous Daily Cinema Alert! 2:00PM Ball of Fire (1942)*
When was it featured? SUTS Day 5: Barbara Stanwyck (2014)
4:00PM These Wilder Years (1956)

6:00PM My Reputation (1946)

8:00PM All I Desire (1953)

9:30PM The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)

11:45PM Crime of Passion (1957)

1:30AM Baby Face (1933)

3:00AM The Miracle Woman (1931)

4:45AM Jeopardy (1953)

Daily Cinema: Ladies They Talk About (1933)


I'm surprised that there aren't as many Previous Alerts! in today's lineup despite my longtime love for Barbara Stanwyck, but trust me. You're going to get tired of seeing this name in the month's lineup--she'll be in the Daily Cinema section a few more times. lol I promise it wasn't entirely intentional. She just happened to be in the cast of the film I preferred the most for that day. So I'm sorry. But if you were here for any length of time when I was still here full-time or you came by for any previous years I covered SUTS, you should be more than a little familiar with my intense adoration inappropriate love girlcrush on Miss Stanwyck, so my plotzing should come as no surprise to you. 
If this is your first year here, then hi. 👋 I'm Mandy and I have a neverending excitement for and borderline obsession with Dr. Pepper, Cary Grant and Barbara Stanwyck, in that order. But anyway, let's get to today's film. Ladies They Talk About stars Stanwyck as part of a gang of bank robbers, but gets caught and sent to prison. While serving her sentence, she plots escape and revenge on the man she believes sold her out. 
Films like this are partially why I love this lady so much; she wasn't the typical film star and didn't take typical roles, especially for the time period. She wasn't some weeping willow; there was a strength, a solidity and confidence in so many of the characters she played, good or bad, and I think it was especially important for the time period she was at her peak. Not to say that there weren't other actresses doing the same thing; there were. But there was something distinct about how Barbara Stanwyck approached it and for me, that's what has me glued to the screen during her movies. Anyway, I've babbled enough. I hope you'll be watching Ladies They Talk About (but if that isn't your speed, The Lady Eve and Ball of Fire are both good substitute choices) and if you want to join today's conversation on social media, you can use the tag #summerunderthestars. If you decide to watch Ladies They Talk About, tag your tweets with #atvdailycinema so I can see them. See you tomorrow!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment