Saturday, July 13, 2013

*June's TNT: In Review*

Bride of Frankenstein:
I was expecting something much different when I first started watching the movie and my words came back to haunt me early in the movie when I realized I was bored less than 10 minutes in. LOL Fortunately that died down and I was able to enjoy the movie. I read that Karloff wasn't a big fan of this movie, as he didn't like how the Monster was humanized. I don't know if I would feel the way I do had I watched the original, but I actually like that the Monster was humanized because it allowed me to sympathize with him. He wasn't out to harm anyone, just out to try and live without being hunted and killed. I enjoyed watching the movie, but I was kind of disappointed that the Bride, the point of the flick from what I assumed since that was the title, didn't come until the tail end and didn't even like her mate. I just thought she'd have more camera time or would be a more prominent feature and much of the movie felt rushed to me, including the ending. I liked it, but after over an hour of buildup the ending just kind of ran together and it all felt rather anticlimactic to me, especially considering the title.
ATV Rating:





Bathing Beauty:
I came into this movie already knowing that Esther Williams was to be the star of this movie, so I wanted to see why. She dazzled so many people, the director included, that the movie's title was changed from Mr. Co-ed to Bathing Beauty to showcase her, so I knew it must have been something serious. To be honest though, I was more enthralled by Red Skelton as far as characters go. I was so angry that I'd missed out on that type of comedic genius. I found him hilarious and I see now why he was so revered and mentioned as one of the late greats of physical comedy. One thing I absolutely loved were the swimming routines, especially the last routine, and that's where Esther truly shone to me. The routines were captivating and unique and Esther Williams never looked more amazing than when she was in the water. She really was a fish with legs. Ariel in the flesh, and I promise that's no exaggeration. When she was performing, my eyes were on her from the time she got in the water until the time she finished her routine. The movie was a cute one although I was a little mad at Esther's character for believing the lie so quickly. I'm not usually one for long musical pieces in film but this one did it well, didn't go overboard, and was still entertaining. Colorful gang of characters that each brought something funny to the movie overall. What I remember the most, however, was Red Skelton's comedic timing and Esther Williams seeming to come to life in that water.
ATV Rating:





Untamed Youth:
I was never a big fan of the movie studios attempting to recreate Marilyn Monroe in upcoming actresses, but both Jayne Mansfield and Mamie Van Doren were/are beautiful, I have to give them that. The only reason I wasn't a fan is because Marilyn's appeal was unique and should have been left that way. Despite the popularity of Mansfield and Van Doren, however, I think it kind of was because even though they were styled similar to Marilyn, you just can't beat the original. She had something they didn't, to me. As you can tell, Marilyn Monroe is another girlcrush of mine. lol They each had something she didn't as well though, so I guess I'm not too upset. They each made it their own. Crazy how hitchhiking was illegal then; it probably saved more lives than it disrupted. The corruption makes itself clear very early. Russ is quite the ass, isn't he?  The guard busts in on the ladies changing while he's taking the trampy housekeeper in and one of the ladies yells, "Get out of here, you peeper!" He shoots back with this lazy drawl, "What you got I ain't interested in seein'." Looks like the big girl on campus isn't as tough as she thought, huh? At least she took her loss like a champ and made friends with Jane instead. This guy Russ is a total tool. He enters an agreement with other farmers to find laborers for their farms, but takes 60% of their crop! They have no other choice, so they have to agree or risk losing the year's crop. The boys seem to be more rebellious and that is totally a worker's mentality to make a song out of your misfortune. LOL This poor judge is too moony-eyed for her own good; she's practically lick-shining Russ's shoes to please him. At every opportunity these kids get they take it to dance and have a good time. Minus the cotton-picking, it looks like fun. Poor dork is trying his best, ain't he? lol Is Russ really so determined to find his next piece of inmate ass that he really has to sic the dogs on her to find her? I was wondering when they were going to figure out that Baby was pregnant, but they were too late. I'm also wondering when that poor judge is going to realize she's been had. She straight up said that nothing mattered except for Russ, including her own son. Russ is feeding them canned dog food?! What a grade-A dick! Oh snaps, the judge married Russ? I thought he was just her man on the side. Well damn. And even after she's shown proof, she still chooses to send her son away in favor of this fool. I wonder what's in vintage makeup to where the lipstick never smudged. Whatever it is, I want some of it. I'm not doing too much kissing, but I'm still tired of seeing my lip print everywhere. lol Finally the judge sees the light!  I was surprised that it was Lori Nelson's Jane that found love in the movie as opposed to Mamie Van Doren's Penny. Nice change in pace. What the hell, this man has no conscience. He'd take his 'wife's' son and have him killed in Mexico without a second thought?? I feel a little bad for Judge Steele but at least she finally did right by her inmates. I think this is a good movie to show the harm in prison labor and just how it works when corruption is present. It was also a great way to show Mamie Van Doren's talent. I enjoyed it.
ATV Rating:





A Bridge Too Far/ Robin and Marian:
I have to confess that I'm not overly thrilled to see this movie, despite the big names in the cast. As I mentioned in the TNT Preview for this film, I'm not a huge Robin Hood fan and the movies I have seen based on the Robin Hood theme were usually comedies, so I'm not sure what I should be expecting here. The synopsis I heard could be a comedy, but I'm going to take a guess and assume that this isn't one of those films. lol I'm a few minutes in, and I'm still holding my breath hoping for a laugh. I just can't seem to take Robin Hood seriously, I guess. I think it's time to give up the ghost. What an ass Lion-Heart is to kill children just to gain a treasure but darned if that old man's arm wasn't accurate as hell to have thrown, not shot, an arrow from the top of the castle and still pierce Lion-Heart just under his neck. I have to admire his holding a conversation while getting an arrow taken out of his neck, then growing impatient and removing it himself. LOL Maybe there's some comedy in this after all. After all that work to break out of the prison, at the exact moment Robin finishes his work, the guard comes in to retrieve them to meet with the king. lmao I HAD to include this bit of dialogue from Richard. He's dying from his wound, so he holds a farewell party of sorts for himself and like I said, Robin and John are summoned to see him. While speaking to Robin, he says, "I was a king. My mother, she'll be 80 soon, the bitch. I've sent for her, do you think she'll come?" I am eagerly awaiting to see a sliver of dialogue in a serious movie that is half that hilarious to me. It was said so matter-of-factly that I giggle every time it repeats in my head. Truth be told though, I'm bored to tears and believe I have dozed off more than once. I don't think this is a film for me.
ATV Rating:






Month in Review-My Thoughts:
I like the offerings we had for this month's TNT. A little bit of drama, little bit of horror, some comedy and some adventure. It was a nice mix. I wasn't entirely happy with all of the movies that we watched this month, but I did find some good picks. I like when there's a mixture of movies rather than one specific genre; it gives a bit of variety and showcases both different types of actors and different styles of movies. Most people separate vintage films into either black and white noir films or '50s films, and showing a mix of times, stars and genres not only blows that stereotype out of the water, it shows the range that was displayed even then. It can be rather refreshing in this day and age, where everything is remade and CGI-assisted and often follows the same skeleton. Looking forward to July!

No comments:

Post a Comment