Tuesday, June 25, 2013

TNT Preview: A Bridge Too Far/Robin and Marian

**7/6/13 Mandy's note: I've left the date as the original post date just to keep things in order, but if you read my note a few days ago you'll know why this is posting so late. I'm sorry again.**

The last TNT for June is a toss-up that I'll leave to you to choose. The first is 1977's A Bridge Too Far, starring Sean Connery, Robert Redford and Laurence Olivier. This movie restages the Allies' airdrop between Nazi lines in Holland.

The second flick, 1976's Robin and Marian, also stars Sean Connery, although he is accompanied this time by Audrey Hepburn and Robert Shaw. In this movie, Robin Hood returns to Nottingham to battle his foe, the Sheriff, and resume his relationship with Maid Marian.

I suppose this is a double feature night for Sean Connery? Both of these movies have good concepts; both historical and both have wonderful ensemble casts. The first boasts an ensemble cast of Robert Redford, Sir Laurence Olivier, Sean Connery, Michael Caine and James Caan, just to name a few. Are you kidding me? I can't pass up the chance to see that on film! And they're re-enacting a true event in our history, and that does intrigue me. But on the other hand, I've got Sean Connery in the iconic boots of Robin Hood, with Audrey Hepburn(!) as his fair Marian. I'm not a terribly huge fan of war movies or Robin Hood, but I really respect actors like Sean Connery (although again, not a massively large fan but I respect his talent) and Michael Caine, and I have yet to find an Audrey Hepburn movie that I did not like. So I couldn't choose. Here are the trailers for both and I'll leave the decision to you.
A Bridge Too Far:
Robin and Marian:

Catch them both with me this Thursday at 6 & 8pm EST on TCM!

Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796
Neither are available on Netflix's Instant Queue
A Bridge Too Far is available to rent from Vudu for $2.99SD /$3.99HD /$4.99HDX and is available to rent from Amazon for $2.99
Robin and Marian is not available for rent on either Vudu or Amazon but you can purchase it for $9.99 from both sites: Vudu Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment