Sunday, August 20, 2017

SUTS Day 20: Cary Grant


Movie lineup (all times in EST):

6:00AM Penny Serenade (1941)

*Daily Cinema: 8:15AM In Name Only (1939)*

10:00AM None but the Lonely Heart (1944)

12:00PM Mr. Lucky (1943)

*Previous Daily Cinema Alert! 2:00PM Suspicion (1941)*
When was this featured? SUTS Day 6: Joan Fontaine (2013)

4:00PM I Was a Male War Bride (1949)

6:00PM The Philadelphia Story

*Previous TNT Alert! 8:00PM Holiday (1938)*

9:45PM An Affair to Remember (1957)

12:00AM The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)

2:00AM People Will Talk (1951)

4:00AM Walk, Don't Run (1966)

Daily Cinema: In Name Only (1939)


In Name Only stars Cary Grant as a wealthy man named Alec trapped in an unhappy marriage to a manipulative woman (Francis) but later falls for a widow he meets named Julie (Lombard). Alec's wife Maida is cold, cunning and only concerned with rising her social status, on his dime of course. When Alec meets Julie he realizes more than ever that he made a mistake marrying Maida but when he tries to start the divorce proceedings, Maida refuses to grant (ha) his wishes and sign the papers. 
Aren't you proud of me? I haven't had to cross out a 'my husband' mention in this post yet! I've been a good girl. lol On a serious note, I have to admit being a little sad that a couple of movies I was expecting to see on today's lineup weren't there. I've been trying to watch Operation Petticoat again for years and TCM used to play it on military-related holidays like Memorial or Veteran's Day because it's a war comedy, but they've stopped and I haven't seen the film on a lineup in a couple of years. I was also hoping to see The Awful Truth on here; while the remake of this film is on the lineup this month, the original is not. I've seen a ton of my hus---err, Cary Grant's films, but I'm pleased to see some in the lineup that I actually haven't seen yet. My body is ready. I'm ready. I meant I'm ready. Oh well. I tried. 
You already know the drill; if you're going to be on social media for any of today's films, don't forget to use TCM's tag of #SUTS or GrantTCM. If you're online while you're watching In Name Only, toss me a line with #atvdailycinema so I can see your tweets. See you tomorrow!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment