Wednesday, January 27, 2016

From the Etsy Files...


In this last edition of "I'd Like Everything for My Birthday, Let Me Show You," I went over to Etsy to check out what they had to offer, and it was pretty weird. Usually, I find oodles of things that I like and can't wait to repost, but this time it was a little harder to find things that I actually wanted as a present without feeling like I was repeating things from past weeks. I'm boring and consistent, and that's fine with me. lol Anyway, on to Etsy!


Vintage Gold Glitter Glamorous French Catseye Sunglasses, Lorrenle Paris, 1970's

If this isn't your first Files post with me, then I don't need to explain my obsession with cat-eye sunglasses. I don't mind only wearing one pair; we only have one face and can therefore only wear one pair at a time. lol I sometimes fancy having a drawer full of beautiful vintage sunglasses to choose from and these would be a nice addition to said dream collection. I like these because the lenses are large and the frames are much simpler than the tortoiseshell glasses I usually go for.





Steampunk Feather Fascinator - OZION design (5 fastener option) for steampunk cosplay,larp,derby party,mardi gras costume,vintage wedding

I was originally just looking for fascinator hats, but this one has the steampunk gears at the base and I really liked the choice in feathers that was used for this piece. I love that the steampunk theme is so understated because it's not hard to find a flashy steampunk accessory at all, so this was a nice change of pace. 





Great Gatsby Headband, Downton Abbey, Art Deco Flapper Headband, 1920s Headpiece, Daisy Buchanan, 1920s Flapper, Black and Silver Headband

Now here's a fascinator that's up my alley. It's larger, it's flashier, it has both bling and fringe, and I adore it to no end. I love that the entire front of it is made of rhinestones, but the side is much darker, extremely full, and has no bling on it at all. I can't express how much I love this headpiece. 





RESERVED Authentic 1920s Flapper Hand Beaded Erte Style Sheath Dress wth Jet Beads

How do you think this would look with the flapper headband above? Would it be too showy? I was looking at Instagram the other day, and I'd seen a meme that (I'm paraphrasing) mentioned how the '20s is in a few years, so wouldn't it be fun to go back to dressing this way, and it made me think. When I see dresses like this now, nearly 100 years later, I relegate them to special occasions and parties because where would I even wear this to? But then I remember that this used to be the norm; women dressed like this all the time and nobody batted an eyelash. It'd be so much fun, if not a little tedious. But then that would mean I'd get to wear this dress for no other reason than because I felt like it. And that sounds so awesome to me. 





Natural Carved Bed Headboard Panel, Wall Art Sculpture. Thai Teak Wood Carving. Oriental Home Decor. (90X33 Cm. Extra Thick. Natural)

I would love to use this as a wall art piece in my living room or in an entry way. Because it's in a long rectangular shape rather than a square, it would look really nice if you have two of these and use them to sandwich in a mirror with a similar type of frame. I think this would be a good birthday gift because who doesn't like a good housewarming gift, firstly, and also because I just think it's beautiful. I've never received wall art for a gift, and this one is gorgeous. 





1960s Cocktail Dress, Black and Gold, made of Indian Sari Silk

I enjoyed my first time at the opera when I went with my sister last spring, and I decided that I wouldn't mind going again this spring. I have to admit that I am a little sad about the relaxed policies concerning the dress code, though. I would have been quite content having to find a vintage cocktail dress, like this one, to wear on opening night but even this would now be considered too dressy. I love that it's made with sari silk, has a simple but elegant print, and I really like the trim. I'd love to get opera tickets and a dress budget for my birthday. lol
 




Retro 1973 Art Deco : A Guide for Collectors by Katherine Morrison McClinton Illustrated w/ Over 275 Black-and-White &; Sixteen Color Plates

I'm a boob of epic proportions. I have become so dependent on the Internet for gathering information that I've completely stopped looking in physical books to do my research on topics. I think I figured that the Internet had more information readily available and there would be more updated sources (my local library usually isn't a good place to do any research because the sources aren't so great). It's no secret that I love Art Deco as much as I love Dr. Pepper, but it wasn't until recently that I actually started to try and find books like this to use. It's supposed to be for collectors, but you can also use it to acquaint yourself with the style, the signature traits and design elements or the popular creators of that time. It looks like a great visual resource to have. 





Vintage 1960's Sheer Lace Blouse

I think the way that this shirt is styled is what ended up selling me on it. I probably wouldn't have known what looked best with it, but high-waisted dark wash denim looks pretty good. It's also a simple, pretty shirt to wear to a birthday lunch or casual dinner so I thought this would have been cute to wear on my birthday if I'd had the money to buy it. 





Vintage Art Book Box - Secret Book Safe - Linen Book Gift Box - Hidden Compartment - Neutral Home Decor - Classic Art Book - Hollow Book Box

I remember saying at some point this month that I found it a crime on books when older books get thrown away due to lack of interest. I find it a similar kind of crime when people destroy old books and I struggle to do the same, even though I really like some of the things that are created from them. Enter this photo here, which is a 2-book set of vintage hollow books, and I've always loved those. They look cute if you're using them as a decor piece and it already comes with the hidden compartment so you don't have to create it. It'd be a good place to hide a couple of snacks. lol





Purple One Shoulder Pencil Dress Burgundy Cape Dress Vintage Drape Midi Party Red Cocktail Dress Plum Below The Knee Party Guest Dress

Finally, if I got this beaut for my birthday, I'd kiss them. This dress is so stinking beautiful I'm already angry at whoever decides to buy it. I love how form-fitting it is (although I'm positive it looks 10x better on that dressform than it would on me lol), that shade of purple is all of the business, and it's not only one-shouldered, but it's a one-shouldered cape. Look at how the pleating drapes over the bust! I was expecting this to be a '50s or '60s dress, but it's actually '80s! Ugh. I want this dress so bad.


Since my birthday is on Saturday, unfortunately (for me) the wishlist train stops here. This was really fun to do; while I choose things that I like for Files posts all the time, it was fun to think about what I'd actually want as a gift. Despite how much I enjoyed it though, I'm ready to get back to the regular monthly themed posts. I'm sure you are too. lol Speaking of that, I need to get back to prepping the posts for next month. I'll tell you all about it in a couple of days. Don't forget about our final TNT of the month tomorrow evening and I'll see you soon!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment