Wednesday, January 29, 2014

From the Amazon Files....

For our last "From the ... Files" in January, we've got some finds from Amazon to go through. I've been thinking of adding Fab to the series since they feature vintage things on there every Monday, but I haven't decided yet. When I go looking through Amazon's site, it's usually for the free e-books or a specific item; I've never looked on there for vintage things before. Since this was my first time going on there with a vague search idea in mind, I haven't yet found my way around enough to know exactly where to look. What I'm trying to say here is that this edition is probably going to be boring. LOL But I's learnin'. lol I believe all of the things in this post are repros, but I like those as well so no harm no foul. As always, enjoy!


http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Inspired-Fashion-Rhinestone-Sunglasses/dp/B00HFHKNR6/ref=sr_1_14_mc?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1390865066&sr=1-14
Vintage Inspired Rhinestone Cat Eye Sunglasses, $9.99
The first thing that jumped out at me were these here sunglasses by ZeroUV. If you've been reading for awhile, then you already know about my obsession with cat-eyes, whether they be prescription lenses or sunglasses. Even though I already have a pair of sunglasses, I couldn't pass these up. They also come in black, but I favor these tortoiseshell frames with the brown lenses. I also like the simple rhinestone detailing on the sides. I like my cat-eyes to be more pronounced at the edges and mine are rounder, so these caught my eye from jump. 



http://www.amazon.com/Dynomighty-Mens-Comic-Mighty-Wallet/dp/B003L8EJYG/ref=sr_1_34?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1390866359&sr=1-34&keywords=1930s
Dynomighty Men's Comic Book Wallet, $15

I'm aware that this is a men's wallet. I couldn't care any less. I love comic book drawings and the like, even though I don't read them very much (but if I find a good Archie or Betty & Veronica I'm on it like white on rice) so I really like when I see them on graphic tees or other things like this wallet by Dinomighty


Collectif Ivory Greta 1950s Rockabilly
Blouse, $49.99
I picked this shirt by Collectif for a number of reasons. Firstly, I like that the shirt is formfitting without being skintight, so it'll be appropriate for casual or business events. I also like the way the pleating comes together in the middle of the shirt rather than the sides or at the bottom like I usually see with clothes. If you look closely, you'll see that the detailing all over the shirt is actually little anchors, which is right up my alley. It's a cute and subtle nod to a nautical theme without being overboard or making you feel like you need a ship captain's hat on. lol The material doesn't look too heavy, another thing that I like about it. I think this would look great paired with a black or navy blue pencil skirt. I'm more partial to the black though. 



Navy Blue Nautical Pinup
Pencil Women's Dress,
$37.03-$49.99
Speaking of nautical wonderfulness, check this nautical pinup inspired dress by Closet Online. Isn't it purdy? The dress got great reviews on Amazon, from the feel of the material to its wearability (it's a word now) and I'm glad that the material is more stretchy. This seems more like a wiggle dress rather than a rockabilly one just because of the fit and the type of silhouette that it looks like it would create, thus giving you a reason to wiggle. lol I love the shorter sleeves on the dress, but my favorite thing about the garment has to be the combined button detailing down the side and the lining right next to it. It elongates the body, it's a little funny as the detailing also brings the eye to the left chesticle lol, but I can roll with that. The length is not too long and will still give you a chance to show off some leg. 



Ixia Floral A-Line Dress, $46
I can't say how much I love this dress by Ixia. For someone who doesn't wear dresses on an everyday basis, I've noticed that I gravitate toward them quite often. Maybe that's a hint, I don't know. Regardless, I saw this dress and fell in love. I'm a little worried about the length; it looks just a touch shorter than I'd prefer, and since I have a small torso I don't think there's much hope for it being a little longer on me. I'm not trying to show off the milk and cookies because I feel like being cute, ya know. lol This mint shade is my favorite and will look great with the pastel colors I usually gravitate to in the spring. From the photos, I saw that you could wear this dress with or without the halter strap at the top and it looks cute either way. I love the swing-style bottom and the fitted top half. The material isn't stretchy, so the size you get would have to be exact so that it'll look its best. 


http://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Evolution-Distressed-Vintage-Tin/dp/B00823BUZ6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391005813&sr=8-13&keywords=vintage
Coca-Cola Distressed Evolution
Tin Sign, $10.10
Tin Signs has this distressed sign for sale and I'm so angry I can't get it. Even though I no longer drink regular Coke, I'm still obsessed with the brand. I used to collect the glass bottles because for awhile they weren't being sold in my area, so I used to collect them and now I have no reason to because they're everywhere. My obsession with the brand was still active though, so it turned to dishes and other kitchen accessories. They always release a new set for the holidays, and I'm on them every year like white on rice. I love this poster, not only because of the distressed look to the sign, but also because I love how it shows the evolution of the bottles over the years. It's not badly priced, either. 



Lindy Bop 26" Organza, Net Mesh and Tulle Petticoat,
$36.99
I think this is an essential part of wearing vintage and swing dresses. Not all swing dresses require you to wear a petticoat underneath and will look fine without one, but depending on the style/color of the dress, having one of these peek out from the bottom makes the overall look a little more fun. These petticoats by Lindy Bop come in red, black and white and I think they're a solid investment if you like wearing swing dresses.  




http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Refillable-Perfume-Bottle-Atomizer/dp/B005DUI4Y6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1391021836&sr=8-17&keywords=vintage
Vintage Style Refillable Glass Perfume
Bottle w/Tassel Atomizer, $16.50
I have always loved perfumes that came in this style of bottle. I forget what movie it was that I saw a woman spraying perfume on herself with this kind of atomizer, but I remember thinking how glamorous it looked. I was completely tee'd off when I couldn't find the bottles anywhere once I was old enough to buy perfume, so I absolutely love that these are refillable bottles. These glass perfume bottles by Private Label can hold up to 1.64oz. of perfume, have a screw on cap and are made of thick glass, so they won't break easily. It has good reviews so it was obviously made well, and I think the price is worth it. 





http://www.amazon.com/The-Steampunk-Bible-Illustrated-Scientists/dp/0810989581/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391022348&sr=8-4&keywords=steampunk
The Steampunk Bible, $18.49
As I have mentioned on several occasions, I love steampunk. I can't quite explain it, but the Victorian/fantasy/engineering feel that I get from it is pretty awesome, so I'll look for anything I can find to teach me more about it. I think this bible by Jeff VanderMeer will cover the basics, explain exactly what the steampunk genre is about, and maybe even provide some inspiration for the DIY'ers out there. I checked out some of the reviews just to make sure the book description aligned with reader opinions, and for the most part it did. The reviews and general opinion of the book were pretty solid, so I'm still looking to get this bible and explore the world of steampunk. Maybe it'll be a super late birthday gift to myself, I'm not sure yet. lol 




10pc Steampunk Antique Brass Jewelry Findings, $8.99
I've got a thing for big, old-fashioned keys like these by umbrellalaboratory. I always hoped to find one of these keys that unlocked something either really valuable and I'd get money, or really special and it would change my life. LOL I've watched too many Disney movies and read too many fantasy books, I think. But I digress. You can do a lot with a set of keys like this, even though they're not authentic keys. You can frame them for wall art individually or grouped together, you can use the smaller ones as charms on a piece of jewelry or make a necklace out of them, or you could actually go and make a lock based on the shape of the key. I can't quite explain the thing I have for these kinds of keys, but I love them. 

And with that, our final "From the ... Files" for the month has come to a close. This one was a little less fun for me to do than the others to tell the truth, but that's only because I haven't had a chance to just look on here and see what I can find yet. But anywho, other than my problem with Pinterest a couple of weeks ago, I've actually kept my word and posted these on time every week. I wouldn't hand the gold star out yet though; it's only January. I've still got 11 more months to fall off but let's keep fingers crossed that I don't. LOL I've come to look forward to these posts every week, if you want the truth, so I really hope you guys are enjoying them as well. I'd probably keep doing it regardless, but it's always nice to know that someone likes what you're posting. I'll be back next week with February's Etsy Files! 
And if you have any love for me in your heart at all, you'll join this old loser tomorrow for my birthday TNT Trifecta so I won't have to spend it alone. lol 
Counting down the hours until my birthday,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment