Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Under the Stars Day 5: Charlton Heston

Day 5 and the beginning of the workweek brings us a day of movies by the incomparable Charlton Heston.
The most recognizable movie I've seen him in was The Ten Commandments. It has become family tradition to watch the movie every Easter when they would play it on ABC. The day has since been changed to the Saturday before and it is now shortened, but we still keep the tradition alive. We all loved Charlton Heston's performance in the film; for my entire childhood I thought it was real and he was Moses because it was played so well. LOL I'm a little upset that Ten Commandments wasn't one of the chosen movies today. I noticed that Charlton Heston played in a lot of period and historical type of films; seemed to be where he excelled. I can see why. I looked at the description of the movies and although I'm not in a really serious mood today, I think I know which movies are going to be the most interesting for me to see.


            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's movies: (all times listed in EST)
6AM: Ruby Gentry
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

7:30AM: Bad for Each Other
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

9AM: The Wreck of the Mary Deare
Netflix | Vudu (purchase only) | Amazon

10:45AM: Diamond Head
Netflix | Vudu (purchase only) | Amazon (purchase only)

12:45PM: 55 Days at Peking
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

3:30PM: Soylent Green
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

5:15 PM: A Man for All Seasons
Netflix | Vudu (purchase only) | Amazon

7:45PM: Carson on TCM: Charlton Heston

8PM: Major Dundee
Netflix | Vudu (purchase only) | Amazon (purchase only)

10:30PM: Ben-Hur
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

2:30AM: The Greatest Story Ever Told
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon


                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Cinema:  Ruby Gentry

A history buff would have probably chosen 55 Days at Peking. Those who like religious films would have probably chosen Ben-Hur or The Greatest Story Ever Told. There were definitely some good candidates. However, I chose none of them and here's why. We are already watching the original Ben-Hur this week so although this would be a good time to compare since we'll be seeing both the original and this version in a short period of time, I didn't want to use a religious film for my daily selection when that was largely what Charlton Heston became known for. I would still recommend watching this version of Ben-Hur though; it'll give us some comparison notes during our TNT. I didn't select 55 Days at Peking simply because I didn't want to. LOL I wanted to use an underdog, something that wasn't quite as epic as the others I named or The Ten Commandments. I didn't want to choose this one at first; it reminded me a little of Duel in the Sun but I saw Karl Malden in the description and knew I had to see it. A very close runner-up was Bad for Each Other; I'll call it a tie. Bump it. Watch them both. LOL Ruby Gentry is about a woman who, despite her love for one man (Heston), marries another (Malden). I didn't know Jennifer Jones made a movie with either of these men, so to see both of them in the same movie with her should be good. If you'd rather watch Bad for Each Other, it's about a doctor who returns from the Korean War and has to make a decision between helping the rich or helping the poor. They're both good choices if you ask me. Here's the trailer for Ruby Gentry:

Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796

No comments:

Post a Comment