Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Summer Under the Stars Day 28: Shirley Jones

TCM chose Shirley Jones today as the 28th star to be profiled for this year's Summer Under the Stars.
Well here's a familiar face to a few previous TNT selections; we've had about three Shirley Jones films featured for different TNT nights within the past few months, the most recent of which was last month's The Music Man. That and another previous choice, Carousel, made it onto today's list of movies so that puts us on Previous TNT Alert as well. As I mentioned in the TNT posts, I'm not familiar with Shirley Jones' earlier work. All I know is that she excelled at musicals, that she was the mother on The Partridge Family, then I heard something about her wanting to pose for Playboy later in life. LOL My knowledge is limited. Anyway, from the looks of things, we're in for a day of laughs as most of the movies being shown today are comedies. We had a bit of a serious day yesterday, so this is a welcome break for me. I like some balance between my days--to ask for balance between the movies throughout the day is sometimes asking a bit too much as many actors find their niche and stick with it--so I can deal with a break from the serious to laugh at the silly stuff. 


           -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's movies: (all times listed in EST)
6AM: April Love
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

8AM: A Ticklish Affair
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

10AM: The Secret of My Success
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

12AM: Pepe
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

3PM: Elmer Gantry
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

5:45PM: The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

*Previous TNT* 8PM: The Music Man
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

*Previous TNT* 11PM: Carousel
Netflix | Vudu (purchase only) | Amazon (purchase only)

1:30AM: The Cheyenne Social Club
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

3:30AM: The Happy Ending
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Cinema Selection: Elmer Gantry
I chose this movie because the synopsis drew me in. Elmer Gantry stars Jones along with Burt Lancaster and Jean Simmons as a jilted girlfriend of a drifter (Lancaster) who begins to find success as a traveling preacher, until the past catches up with him. I initially was going to choose Secret of My Success, but I thought Elmer Gantry might give us more to think about. I thought the plot seemed intriguing and was quite a difference from both the other movies playing today and our previous TNT selections. 

Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796

*Today's Twitter hashtag is #JonesTCM and don't forget the regular hashtags #TCMSummer and #SUTS! If you're live tweeting with me during our Daily Cinema Selection, don't forget to tag your posts with #atvdailycinema!*

No comments:

Post a Comment