Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Under the Stars Day 14: Bette Davis

We're just about halfway through the month, and TCM chose Bette Davis to break us in for Day 14.
I've seen a few Bette Davis movies, and I was never disappointed. Loved her in Death on the Nile and I thought she was amazing in The Corn is Green. I am a little disappointed, however, that we won't be able to see either of those movies today. Maybe I just need an Agatha Christie fix, I don't know. LOL Anyway, I'd heard the Kim Carnes song "Bette Davis Eyes" when I was a kid and when I finally did see Bette Davis' eyes, I realized why there was a song named after them. I thought she was a wonderful actress and I can't wait to get started on a day full of her films. 

          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's movies: (all times listed in EST)
6AM: Parachute Jumper
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

7:30AM: The Girl from 10th Avenue
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

9AM: Dangerous
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

10:30AM: The Petrified Forest
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

*Daily Cinema Selection:*
12PM: Jezebel
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

2PM: The Letter
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

3:45PM: Now, Voyager
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon (currently unavailable)

5:45PM: Watch on the Rhine
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

7:45PM: Carson on TCM: Bette Davis

8PM: Ex-Lady
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

9:15PM: Dark Victory
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

11:15PM: The Man Who Came to Dinner
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon (currently unavailable)

1:15AM: The Dick Cavett Show: Bette Davis

2:30AM: Payment on Demand
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

4:15AM: The Nanny
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon


          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Cinema Selection: Jezebel
I chose this because it reminds me a bit of a mix between Gone with the Wind and Duel in the Sun. I also chose it because the other Bette Davis movies I've seen have her as the moral-oriented protagonist, who is focused on doing the right thing, or as an older figure, playing background to the younger main characters. I thought this film would showcase a different kind of character. Jezebel stars Davis as a turbulent Southern belle who has an iron will, but this threatens to hurt everyone around her, more particularly her fiance (Henry Fonda). Obviously, this isn't going to be a "The Corn is Green" styled movie....the name of the film is Jezebel, after all. 


Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796

*Today's hashtag is #DavisTCM, don't forget our regulars!*

No comments:

Post a Comment