Friday, February 1, 2019

BHS Day 1: National Black MBA Association


Hello and welcome to the first day of the 4th annual Black History Spotlight! I'm so excited to be back! Can ya tell with the exclamation points? lol This past year was an emotional rollercoaster for me, both personally and professionally, and I made the decision to step away from my blogs indefinitely last fall. That was why there wasn't an Octoberfest last year. Truth be told, it just wasn't working out. I simply don't have the time to work on my real-life business pursuits and two blogs by myself. The blogs were stagnant, I didn't have the money to continue buying products to review, and it was sending me into a really deep depression. It seemed like the right time to walk away. I wasn't even sure I was going to do Black History Spotlight but the thought of not doing it left me with a lot of regret. I feel this sense of...I dunno, obligation?...especially in today's times, to remind people about the trailblazers who came before us. So I'm back. For now. lol 

Anyway, if this is your first Black History Spotlight, first of all, welcome! I reserve the first day and in this case, each Friday throughout the month for my Community Spotlight, when I highlight an organization in the Black community that has made a positive impact. There are seven categories that I feature, and each one has their own day. That'll be the day I feature that category throughout the month, so if you want to read the Sports category for an example, come back every Sunday. I know I explained that badly and I'm sorry lol, but you'll see what I mean once I get things rolling. Anyway, that's enough from me. Let's get to today's entrant!





Name: National Black MBA Association, Inc.
Date of establishment and founders: 1970 by a group of then-students Dr. Anthony Jackson, George Bradshaw, Dr. Alexander L. Gabbin, Dr. Harold Metcalf, Karen Williamson, William Preston, and Carl Fields, Jr. who attended the University of Chicago MBA
Purpose of organization: To lead in the creation of educational, wealth building, and growth opportunities for those historically underrepresented throughout their careers as students, entrepreneurs and professionals


Why is the Spotlight on it today? For its efforts to empower and assist Black professionals in the business industry and its commitment to bettering the community, nationally and abroad


Notes and accolades:

--Was created at the first-ever two day conference to address issues specifically affecting Black students at the University of Chicago MBA

--Created a program geared specifically at youth named the Leaders of Tomorrow

--Was incorporated a short two-years after the program's inception

--Has been holding annual 4-5 day conferences for Black professionals in different locations around the country since 1979

--Has gone international and started offering programs and outreach to Black professionals around the world

--Has over 40 professional chapters and nearly 30 chapters at colleges throughout the country

--Hosts a career fair during the annual conference and expo that connects Black professionals in Fortune 500 companies with hopefuls looking for work

--Combines career networking with economic and financial education in order to empower individuals involved on the proper steps to take

--Is partnered with a number of organizations who support their vision, including but not limited to Nationwide Insurance, who usually sponsors a booth at the NBMBAA Expo 

--Created its own scholarship program, which now runs partnered with the organization's various affiliates, and awarded around $1M in scholarship money to deserving students last year

--Has a specific Collegiate Partnership Program, in which they tour HBCUs and provide students with assistance in closing the economical and educational gaps that Blacks face

--Offers a number of webinars and professional certification courses for its members to utilize so that they may further their professional pursuits

--Has a partnership with the African and Caribbean Finance Forum to educate and empower those in the African and Caribbean communities

Further reading links:
1 | 2 | 3


Quote of the Day:

"Empowering visionaries intellectually and economically to create a world where diversity and inclusion are universal."

--MBMBAA Vision Statement 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment