Sunday, October 1, 2017

Octoberfest 2017: Fall Fashion on IG

Is this image showing up really dark on your end or is that just with my color settings?
Let me know and I'll fix it. 

Hi and welcome to this year's Octoberfest! If this is your first visit here, this is ATV's 3rd annual Octoberfest, where I cover all kinds of old, creepy, haunted and otherwise gory goodness for the entire month of October. When I first rolled this out a couple of years ago, I was really trying to put together a post a day. Didn't work out. Last year I tried to do it every other day....didn't work out. Now I'm test driving every three days. LOL I'll figure it out. Much like I finally got the hang of SUTS and prepping early, I've started doing that with Octoberfest and this year should finally see some organization. Hopefully, this means you'll be able to enjoy all of the posts in order, on time. If not, you have my apologies now. If you have been here before, you already know me so you already know I'm sorry. Take that however you like, it's true in both contexts. lol 

Moving on, per usual with my Octoberfests, I like to start the series a little tame, so I wanted to round up some vintage fall fashion I've been eyeing recently. Most of these are new shops to the IG series of posts I've been doing, but there are a couple of returning favorites. Be warned, there may be a lot of coats and jackets on the list; I've been super drawn to them lately. lol Let's get started! 



1. Jumblelaya Vintage (@jumblelaya)


The seller thinks that this was originally intended to be a coat dress, but it can also just be worn as a coat. It's very simple in terms of style, print, etc. but that's where you get to embellish with the accessories. If you wear this as a coat, you can use this to disguise the real life of the party, which would be your dress. I wonder how this would look as a coat paired with slacks. Do you think it would be too much? For holiday parties and the like, this would be a fabulous coat. 



2. Two Old Beans Vintage Clothing (@twooldbeans)


This is a small collection of the fall stock that recently came into the store, and I included it both so that I didn't have to worry about choosing one garment to feature, and also because I love the color theme going on in the featured items. My favorites out of the bunch are the copper-colored dress on the top row and the brown dress in the same style on the second row. A close third would be the plaid skirt next to it, but I think that's mainly because I have an outfit in mind for it. lol Do you have a favorite? 



3. Scarlet Rage Vintage (@scarletragevintage)


The minute I saw this coat, I knew it was going in today's post. I don't care if it's already been sold. lol As the caption details, this is a gawgeous mohair coat with a tie-style waist and I love it. It looks so thick and comfy and I will never say nay to wearing a blanket out in public (or as close to one as I can get without looking strange). I like the checkered, muted colors in the coat; I think they suit the style and material a bit better than a "bam! here I am" color. 



4. Pursuing Andie (@pursuing_andie_vintage)


Firstly, the shade of green on the hat and the sweater is absolutely beautiful. For some reason, I always think of big dramatic hats when I think of vintage style during colder months, which is another reason why I chose this particular photo. I dig the plaid jacket on bottom as well, more specifically the brown trim on the collar, bottom hem and the bottoms of the sleeves. I'm not crazy about plaid outerwear, but a simple detail like brown trim sweetens the pot for me. lol The two primary colors in this photo, the deep olive and brown, are quintessential fall and I love how they look together. 



5. Lawrence of Baltimore Vintage (@lawrenceofbaltimorevintage)

A post shared by Lawrence of Baltimore Vintage (@lawrenceofbaltimorevintage) on

This is an extremely simple sweater, I know. I partly like it for that reason, but I mainly like it because of the rich color. It looks like melted chocolate to me. lol I also like the wider collar but my #1 is with this sweater is the ribbed hem. I love sweaters like that, and I love that the ribbing in this sweater goes up so high. The caption says that the sleeves balloon a little as well, which I don't mind. I dig a good oversized sweater; you can never have too many of those, if you ask me. The simplicity of this sweater allows you to modernize it a bit and wear it with jeans or flats, or keep it vintage with appropriate bottoms, and both would look fine. Because I like both regular and vintage fashion, pieces like this appeal to me a lot.



6. Wild Cardigan Vintage (@wildcardigan)


I love ponchos and sweaters that have a Native American inspired print. This sweater's already been sold, which I'm not surprised about, but I am a little jealous of whoever the new owner is. lol What I love the most is that the majority of the time when I see prints similar to these, they're on a very snuggly-looking, thick fabric like this. I love bohemian fashion for both summer and fall, and I'd love to find a sweater similar to this one out in the wild. 



7. Deerfield Vintage (@deerfieldvintage)

A post shared by Deerfield Vintage (@deerfieldvintage) on

Again, the color of this coat is what jumped out at me first (if it hasn't become apparent yet, my favorite color is green πŸ˜€) but the fact that it's a princess coat AND has a leopard print collar? Sign me the hell up. lol This double breasted princess coat is everything; I love double-breasted coats firstly, and secondly I love when garments have leopard accents or trim on them somewhere. They give the piece a little pop in both print and color, and I kind of like how it looks paired with the emerald green on the coat. It's still fall appropriate without being the usual colors of brown or black (the latter of which is also clearly a favorite of mine lol) and I'll always be here for some leopard print.



8. Straylight Vintage (@straylightvintage)

A post shared by Cynthia Newport (@straylightvintage) on

Soo...another coat. It won't be the last. lol I like this one, surprisingly compared to the other coats on the list, for its lack of structure. It's just a regular, everyday vintage coat. That's what I like about it. I probably sound ridiculous, but I don't think you can wear every coat everywhere. I don't think you can wear the coat in the first photo with your everyday outfit of jeans and a henley, and likewise, you can't wear a beautiful vintage wrap dress with a cotton hoodie. I mean, I guess you could, but it wouldn't be the most fashionable choice. lol Anyway, I like the deeper colors and simpler structure of this coat but I can tell this was made for taller people; it would overwhelm my body.



9. The Vintage Net (@thevintagenet)


This isn't a traditional fall pick, but for some reason it reminded me of NYFW and the ethereal floral couture looks I sometimes see. For some reason, I've really been into sheer dresses lately which makes absolutely no sense with summer being over, but all of a sudden, I'm so here for them. I don't know if its a combination of the lace and mauve or the lace and tulle, but the combination of the three create this dreamy, wispy beaut of a dress and I'm digging the hell out of it. Mauve is a fall color, isn't it? There. It's still on-topic. lol 



10. Flowers of the meadow (@flowersofthemeadow)


When I first saw these, I thought they were velvet until I read the caption and saw that they were actually wool. I'm a bit surprised I like the smaller jacket better, but I think it's because of the color. Burgundy is such a beautiful color, especially for this time of year, so it immediately drew my eye when I was looking for a photo to use when I featured the shop. It also kind of reminds me of the jackets jockeys wear? Anyway, I think it was the color of the jacket that drew me to this particular photo, but the shop is worth a look. It's full of beautiful clothing from Edwardian to mid-century times so there's a bit of variety in case a specific decade isn't really your butter and jam; a few rows down from these coats is a gorgeous sheer burgundy dress you should check out. I wasn't surprised to find out that it, or these lovely jackets above, had already been sold. 



11. High Hat Couture (@highhatcouture)


I think I said this with an earlier photo, but fall in terms of vintage fashion means more structured clothing and large, dramatic hats. I like this hat, but I especially like the little chartreuse feather detail on the side. A new detail to me was the tilt band; I've never seen anything like that before. I thought ladies just put the hat on at the angle they desired and used hat pins to secure it. Pretty cool. If you're into vintage hats and headgear, check out High Hat; it's chock full of them, hence the name of the shop. lol 



12. Ruby Fayes Vintage (@rubyfayesvintage)


Hi, security? There's an idiot plotzing over on aisle 7 over the brown brocade cocktail dress; get her out of here, please. lol I have four go-to descriptors for a dress I really like: stunning, gorgeous, beautiful and plotzville. At some point I'll add more words into the lineup. For now, however, this dress falls under plotzville. No doubt. If you don't agree, you're fired. No severance pay, you can't file for unemployment, nothing. I don't have enough words to describe my obsession with this dress. I don't know if people still have cocktail parties as I'm broke and don't know people rich enough to have cocktail parties so such events are above my pay grade, but I really pray that the lucky owner of this beaut wears this to as many cocktail parties as she can, invited or not. lol This is entirely too beautiful to sit in a closet.



13. Cock-A-Doodle Vintage (@cockadoodlevintage)

A post shared by Cock-A-Doodle Vintage (@cockadoodlevintage) on

I can't think of anything I don't like about this blouse. The masculine-inspired structure of the top, the purple and black striping, the silk(?) fabric its made out of, the length and cuffed sleeves, the uneven back (I wanted to call it asymmetrical but it isn't), I signed up for all of it. A pencil skirt would look beautiful with this kind of top. I'm far from being a fashion expert by any means so this comment probably holds 0% water or weight, but I've never seen a blouse quite like this before. It's very structured business chic and I'm here for it. 



14. Soiree Vintage (@soireevintage)


This is an extremely simple dress and at first I worried that maybe it was too simple to feature, but I kept coming back to it every time I'd go look at the shop so I guess it stays. lol Love the small cinching at the waist, the one large button up top, and the fact that it's silk. I don't have too much to add about the dress specifically, but if simple dresses with this kind of silhouette are up your alley, there are a few more in different colors in the shop. 



15. Fab Gabs (@fabgabs)


Here's another collection of new seasonal stock in the shop, and again, I featured it mainly so I wouldn't have to choose a favorite because I liked a few of them. Love the color of the cocktail dress and of course I'm digging the princess coat, but the one that surprises me the most is the velvet dress in the right corner. I've been liking velvet in vintage designs lately, which is new for me, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. lol 



16. Hip Zipper (@hipzippernashville)


Small confession--I didn't feature this shop for its fall-related fashion; I featured it entirely for the creativity of the shop owners. If you're familiar with That '70s Show, then I'm sure you can guess who the outfits in this photo were inspired by (and don't cheat and look at the caption, either!). If you can't, then again, you're fired. This is part of a little series they did on That '70s Show, where they created outfits inspired by all of the main characters. I wish they'd made outfits for Kitty and Bob. lol There's also an ongoing series on the page where they take current fashion photos and find vintage replicas of the items in the picture, which I love. I just had to include this, both for the accuracy of the outfits they created and for the creativity in how they choose to promote some of their current offerings. 



17. Little Stars Vintage (@littlestarsvintage)


Another simple sweater. The listing has this color described as raspberry, but it's coming off red on my screen. Either way, I like it. Love the little bow detailing on the back, love the simple design of it, and it looks warm. I think it would look good with a variety of bottoms--pencil skirt, jeans, slacks or even cigarette pants--and something about the front of it (maybe the collar and broader-looking shoulders?) strikes me as a bit masculine and strangely, that's partly why I liked it. lol 



18. Guermantes Vintage (@guermantes.vintage)


I had to close things out with a vintage Halloweenie costume courtesy of my favorite shop for all things Halloween, Guermantes. This one is a cute little bumblebee costume, I'm guessing for a kiddo, but I thought it was adorable. I know I've included the shop in a previous Octoberfest IG installment, but I can't remember if it was last year or the year before last. On an unrelated note, if you're into Edwardian and '20s fashion, please go check out this shop. For garments nearing 100 years old, most of them haven't lost their shine, they're still wearable, and they're beautiful. Major eye p0rn. At least for a '20s junkie like me they are.  



And that wraps up this year's first Octoberfest entry, which I am proud to admit you received on time. I don't think I have ever started these damn things on the 1st like I intended so this is a proud moment for me. It probably won't last, so let's enjoy it now. lol Don't you love how my honesty actually does the exact opposite of getting you to return for the rest of the series? SMH Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the shops and the beautiful garments they had to offer; I loved them. I've been waiting to do another installment of the IG series for awhile now so I had a lot of fun putting this list together. See you in a couple of days!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment