Monday, February 6, 2017

BHS Day 6: Miles Davis


Hi! For our first Music and Entertainment Spotlight, I wanted to focus on a pioneer of one of my favorite music genres: jazz. There's something so beautiful to me about jazz and the various instruments that make up said music. One of my uncle's favorite all-time musicians is Miles Davis and I remember when I was younger, I found jazz and Miles Davis so depressing to listen to. Once I got older and my tastes were a bit more accommodating, I found a song I loved and found out it was the musician I used to hate. lol I'm interested in exploring more of his career separately, but I really wanted to include him in this year's series. Let's get started!



Name: Miles Dewey Davis III, 1926-1991


Profession: Trumpeter, composer and bandleader


Why is the Spotlight on him today? For his fearlessness as a musician and his innovations to the jazz genre, both the favored and controversial


Notables and accomplishments:

--Is noted for his innovation and introduction of new styles to the overall jazz genre, from 'cool' jazz to jazz fusion and modal-infused jazz

--Learned the style of bebop from one of his idols, Charlie Parker and was once part of the Charlie Parker Quintet

--Studied music at Julliard 

--His experimental electric jazz album, Bitches Brew, was largely panned when it debuted but is now a source of inspiration to many jazz musicians

--Played with the Quincy Troupe orchestra at the Montreux Jazz Festival in what would be his last show

--Once turned down an invitation from Duke Ellington

--Is acknowledged today as one of the most accomplished and prolific jazz musicians of all-time

--Formed the Miles Davis Sextet, which included John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Jimmy Cobb, Cannonball Aderley and Paul Chambers

--His album, Kind of Blue, is the best-selling jazz album of all time

--Was the recipient of an Honorary Doctorate degree by the New England Conservatory

--Despite having a few years of steady negative criticism from critics and other musicians, saw his music reach its highest level of commercial success

--Was given the honor of having his album, Kind of Blue, preserved as a national treasure by being commemorated by the House of Representatives for its 50th anniversary


Research resources and further reading links:

The African-American Almanac | AZ Quotes | NY Books | Wikipedia | Timetoast


Quote of the Day: 

"It's not about standing still and becoming safe. If anybody wants to keep creating they have to be about change."
--Miles Davis

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment