Saturday, February 18, 2017

BHS Day 18: Jerry Pinkney

Hi! Per usual when the day's Spotlight deals with multiple categories, I try to keep as much variety within those categories as possible. Today we're focusing on an area of art that I never gave much thought to but as a child was one of my favorite things in books--the illustrations. I've never really thought about the artists behind some of those drawings I loved as a kid, so I thought it would be fun to focus on one of those artists today. 

Name: Jerry Pinkney, 1939--
Profession: Illustrator
Why is the Spotlight on him today? For his accomplishments and acclaim in the art industry
Notables and accomplishments:
--Illustrated over 50 children's books with the award-winning The Lion and the Mouse and Little Red Hen being among them
--Has had over 30 exhibitions across the country to display his work and has also been featured both solo and group international exhibits

--Drew a number of the commemorative US postal stamps of historical Black figures

--Was an art professor at State University of New York at Buffalo, Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, and the University of Delaware
--Inducted into the American Academy of Arts & Sciences

--Was appointed to the National Council of the Arts

--Attended and graduated from the University of the Arts (which was the Philadelphia Museum College of Art at the time) on a full scholarship
--Is a Trustee Emeritus for the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art

--Was commissioned to draw for a number of places, including the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, National Geographic, and the Selma Montgomery Museum
--Recipient of the Caldecott Medal for US illustration for picture books and owns five Caldecott Honors
--Has permanent collections on display in various places around the country, including the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library

--Has had his work featured by the New York Times and the children's tv show Reading Rainbow

--Was a nominee for the Hans Christian Andersen Award, which is the highest honor children's book creators can receive

--Has received a total of 8 medals from the Society of Illustrators

--Has received five Coretta Scott King awards and 4 Coretta Scott King Honor Medals

Research resources and further reading links:
Official Website | Wikipedia
Quotes of the Day:
"A sense of community has always been important to me, and I want that to be reflected in my art. When I speak of community, I am not only talking about the immediate world around me, but also legacy. I am always searching for projects that connect with my culture and the experience of being Black in America."

"I wanted to show that an African-American artist could make it in this country on a national level in the graphic arts. I want to be a strong role model for my family and for other African-Americans."
--Jerry Pinkney
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment