Wednesday, April 13, 2016

From the Pinterest Files...


Hi! As I mentioned during the eBay Files last week, I wanted to focus on a few recipes and food-related items that made me think of spring. It's no secret around here that I think spring is picnic season, I talked about it for months last year. I'm probably going to do it again this year. lol For me, spring is a beautiful time of year. Because of my immune system, I don't go outside too often once fall is over and flu season hits. I usually stay inside until it's warm enough again, and by then it's been months that I've had to hole up in the house. I do leave the house, but it's nowhere near as often as I do during the warmer months because I catch colds and chest infections so easily. So watching the atmosphere come alive again and being able to feel the sun without having to wear several layers of clothes and a scarf over my face sounds like a dream. 

Picnics combine several of my favorite things-being outdoors, enjoying the grass & sun, getting some alone time and food (both cooking and consuming lol). So I'm sorry ahead of time if you get tired of me talking about picnics. haha Let's get to what I found this week!






One of the reasons why I love looking at vintage spring recipe sheets is for the cute little captions and accompanying paragraph. It's all so festive and I appreciate the effort to sell the product being promoted in the recipe. This type of advertising was way before my time but I still miss it lol; I think it'd be great if a current company brought something like this back for a retro promotion campaign. Now I'd probably do 1/4c butter and 1/4c shortening rather than the original recipe, but this still looks like an easy cake recipe for spring.










I usually find myself gravitating toward more complicated recipes for spring, but I included this one because it's a great reminder for me that keeping it simple is delicious too. I love a good sandwich, always have, and rather than bringing a basket full of food that took hours to make, there's nothing wrong with packing up a basket full of basic sandwiches. The soda is optional, of course, but a ham and cheese sandwich with a Dr. Pepper sounds like a great lunch for me.









I think this table is so adorable. What I like the most about it is how easy it looks to DIY if you have the time and money for materials. I also think this would be really cute to have in the yard for summer. If there was a way to make something like this collapsible, I’d lug this with me to the park for a family picnic.









Lemonade, for me, is one of the staple drinks of warmer months and one of my all-time favorite beverages. I wasn’t sure how many different ways you could make lemonade because it sounds quite simple lol, but I liked this recipe the most. In addition to it being an older recipe, it also utilizes the lemon rinds and I don’t think I’ve had lemonade like that before. Lemonade is tart anyway, so I wonder about what adding the flavor of the rinds would do to the final result. I’m here for it.









My ultimate spring bucket list recipe is a loaf of homemade bread. I am determined to make some, whether it be for a sandwich like above, or just to eat with some jam. I say it every spring, I dream about it every time I think about what I’d like to try my hand at next, but I never end up doing it. This year I’m finally going to make that bread, and I like this recipe because unlike many bread recipes today, this one is completely from scratch. Most bread recipes that I look up today involve a bread machine, which I don’t own, so I’ve found that if I want to bake something it’s much easier to use an older recipe for it and alter it if necessary.









I chose this basket because I loved the finish of the wood on it. I know it’s probably going to sound weird, but does anyone remember the wood finish of the old stationwagons back in the ‘70s and ‘80s? We used to have a used one when I was younger, and the finish on the car was very similar to the wood used for this picnic basket. Many baskets look rather plain, so learning how to improve the inside or hide interior signs of age/damage has been something I wanted to do for awhile. This tutorial isn’t very difficult either, especially if you know how to sew well. That isn’t one of my strengths, but that’s one reason why I’d like to improve my sewing, so that tutorials like this would be easier for me to execute.









I used to think scones were a fancy schmancy treat for one to have, but now it’s another thing I’d like to learn to make. This, like the bread and cake recipes above, seems fairly easy to make and I also really enjoy the different variations on the basic recipe. I don’t know about eating celery scones, but I applaud the adventurousness. LOL This is another good recipe for the season that you can eat outdoors and I can’t wait until I finally get around to making some of my own.









And finally, I wanted to include this cookbook that focuses on picnic and potluck recipes. I don’t attend many potlucks, but I’m always interested in picnic recipes. That's another reason why I focus on picnic food every year; it's increasingly difficult for me to find retro recipes that would be good for picnics and outdoor events. It is, however, becoming increasingly easy to find retro recipes that sound absolutely awful. lol I'm trying to find more recipes that would be good for picnics and aren't always cakes or pastries. This book is from the early '90s, so the recipes are a bit more current and the chances I'll end up with fish Jell-o are much lower. Hopefully. ha



That wraps things up for me on Pinterest this week. Per usual, I hope you enjoyed this post. Are there certain foods you gravitate to for spring, seasonal activities that you enjoy during this time of year?OAN, please come keep me company tomorrow for our TNT; I have no idea if I'm going to be able to finish this movie. lol I hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday and I'll see you soon!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment