Wednesday, January 20, 2016

From the Pinterest Files....


'Ello there! The birthday wishlist train rides on. This week I'm taking a trip over to the promised land of Pinterest, where I hope there are tons of dream birthday gifts to guide my way. lol The problem that I still have, three years after starting Files posts, is that Pinterest tends to keep me distracted for way too long. Since this month's theme is all about my birthday and what I'd like to receive, I expect it to take a little longer than usual to put a list together. Anyway, let's get to pinning all the things!




I would love to get my hands on a good vintage garment for one of my birthdays. It's one of my bucket list items to have a flapper-inspired costume birthday party, and this would be the perfect dress to wear. I love everything about it, from the coloring to the beading, to the scallop-style hemlines and the jewelry that was paired with it for the photo. I wouldn't change a thing, I'd just add a ridiculously large feather to the headpiece I'd wear with it and switch out the flats for a pair of flapper boots. 






As I've gotten older, I've finally learned to appreciate using actual furniture or items as knickknacks or decor accessories. That brings me to this awesome Remington typewriter, which delivers on the clickety-clackety sound that I love about all old typing equipment. I make far too many typing errors to ever use this seriously, but I entertain fantasies about being an 80-something asshole insisting on typing my life memoirs on a typewriter that, at that time, will be over 100 years old. LOL Anyway, I've really come to appreciate things like this that are full of delicate pieces but somehow still last the test of time, and I'd love to have one in my office or library as a decoration piece. This would be an awesome birthday gift. 






First things first, how freakin' cool is this ring?? It's a combination of two of my favorite things. For some reason, when I was a kid I loved reading about stories where a sundial was the only thing used to measure time, and I've never seen it in a ring before. If you've been here for any length of time, then you already know the love I have for anything steampunk, and now here's this ring that combines them perfectly. I'm in all the love with it. 






Okay, so this isn't vintage. But it's adorable, I want it, and it stays on this list. I have notoriously cold hands during the winter, and I imagine that shaking or holding my hand during the colder months is somewhat akin to feeling the Crypt Keeper's hands any time of the year. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome so my wrists tend to lock on me when they get too cold, and that hurts like hell. These are cute bread slice handwarmers that connect via USB to keep your hands warm while you're on the computer. They'd be a cute and practical birthday present for me.






It's been a goal of mine since I was a kid to have some kind of ancient relic in my home or to have something from another culture reflected in my decor. I love ancient cultures and what they represent (to me, anyway), and that leads me to this set of Egyptian pillows available on Etsy. Another thing I really enjoy is ancient Egyptian anything, and the photos I saw of the Egyptian-inspired furniture are always so breathtaking but a bit too extravagant for my personal taste. A suitable compromise for me would be this set of Egyptian-print pillows on Etsy. They'd be a unique decor accent piece, a potential conversation starter as you'd be surprised by who may end up sharing your vintage interests, and they're beautiful pillows. 






It would be another great birthday present for me to be able to take old school boudoir photos. Nothing super racy or anything like that, it wouldn't be that kind of party, but something that's both a throwback to vintage boudoir photos and gives me a good dose of womanly confidence. There's a sense of glamour that feels exclusive to boudoir photos, and I really like that. I've also never had a photo shoot before so if someone were to give me a birthday present like this, I would die of happiness.






Yes, there's another steampunk item on this list. I've been on a SP kick lately, alright? This little gadget allows me to show my love for the sub-culture on a daily basis, but in a more subtle manner than walking around in a gold top hat with metal gears on it. (I wouldn't be opposed to that idea, though, as long as there was an outfit to match. lol) Anyway, this is a steampunk-inspired flash drive and since I am now on the hunt for a new laptop, this would be a simple but practical gift so that I can still access the more important data while transferring everything else. 






I love atomizers but have never had the good fortune to own one. I've mentioned this before when I featured it in a past Files post, but I've always associated atomizers with that vintage idea of beauty and glamour. I like the simple Art Deco theme that it has and the top of it also makes the container look a bit like a coatrack, which is a smaller note but I like that it has a unique shape. It's 9" tall, which is probably the tallest atomizer I've seen, but the size would help it double as a vanity/dresser piece if one desired. I think it would make for a very mature, feminine birthday gift, something I don't get too often. That has a lot to do with the fact that I don't usually desire something mature or feminine but I digress. 






I'm pretty sure this exact design isn't old, but I've seen the older versions of these team flags and I want one so badly. For a cheesehead like myself, you can never have too much Packers memorabilia. I don't have anything that celebrates the team's accomplishments, and I want something that has some age to it. 






Finally, I would positively plotz if someone were able to find me a bunch of old books. As I mentioned above with the typewriter, I'm finally learning to appreciate using functional things as accessories or decor elements once they've outlived their usefulness. It always seems like the worst crime on books when libraries, bookstores or thrift stores throw out the old books because nobody reads them. I'd love to receive a bunch of these to have in my library (because since we're thinking of dream wishlists, we're also dreaming that I have a library in my home), hopefully filling the room with, as the Pinner so accurately described, that deliciously musty scent that only old books can create. It'd be an awesome birthday gift for me, especially since most books are gifted electronically these days. 



I have to admit, I actually feel kinda bad for wondering whether or not you're enjoying these last couple of posts since they're not educating or informing you about anything except what I'd want for my birthday in a perfect world. LOL They're still vintage things though, do I at least get points for that? Anyway, I really do hope you enjoyed this post and I'll talk to you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment