Wednesday, September 9, 2015

From the Pinterest Files...



Howdy! I'm sorry this is going up a couple of days late; my laptop hasn't called it quits on me yet (knock wood) but with the issues going on in my life right now, it's just been a bad week. Last month sometime I found this Pin on Pinterest about a look from Dior's fall show back in 1958. Normally I don't think I would have paid that any mind, but as I was looking for potential topics for this month's selection of things, it made me realize that I'd never thought to look for that kind of stuff before. ATV probably does show more fashion than any other kind of vintage item, but I'd never thought about isolating it by seasons or individual designers before. I've never been a designer type of gal myself, so I've never paid attention to whether something I liked was designer or not. The extent of my scrutiny was finding out the name of said label so that I can see more of their stuff. The more that I get into companies from back in the day, the more I find myself intrigued by the designers and wanting to find out more about them. If I can find what I'm looking for, I might make it the topic of a future post. On to Pinterest!





I love coats like this for fall. It's not often cold enough for one here until right around Halloween or so, but I think the brown one would be pretty for Thanksgiving. I'm late to the party when it comes to belted overcoats, but I love these. I'm also more partial to the brown one because of the puffy sleeves and the collar, two more elements that I'm surprised that I like together. This has such a form-fitting but complementary silhouette, and check that price! I wish these overcoats were still being made for this price today. 







Speaking of items with awesome prices, here is a collection of various fall booties from around the '30s or '40s. $2.95 though? Really? I can barely find a solid pair of flip-flops for those prices today! I know the value of a dollar has changed substantially from those times, but man I wish clothes and shoes like this were still as low-priced but for current times. I like higher length boots for fall myself, but over the past couple of years I've been coming around to booties. I also think these would pair very nicely with the overcoats above. They're classy and simple, and don't have crazy heel heights like many of today's heeled boots and booties. My personal favorites are the dark brown ones with the tie-up laces. 








I believe I've mentioned this before, but it was watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries last fall that got me hooked on cloches. Tweed is one of those materials that I immediately associate with cold weather, and when's it not a good time to wear olive? lol This hat would be something to wear when fall starts transitioning to winter, we get those first winter gusts, and you need something to keep your head and ears warm. I wanted to pick a cloche that reminds me a bit more of the upcoming season, which is why I didn't go for my fallback color of black. 








When I see deep, darker shades of colors like the ones in this picture, that makes me think of fall. This is a photo of some fall fashion back in the '30s, and I'd have to say my favorite of the three ensembles is probably the green one on the left, save for the collar. I love the length of all the dresses, I am in love with the shades used for the dresses (I don't know if they were that vivid in real life as well, but one can hope) and I am always down to wear a beret that matches my dress. They're form-fitting without looking too uncomfortable and the collar on the green jacket is all the business for me. I think a cloche could work with any of these outfits as well. 








I know for most people, gray is a rather drab color and during warmer weather, it usually is for me too. But for colder weather, I always seem to gravitate towards it. That brings me to this Dior dress for autumn/winter '55. The dress, according to the Pin's description, is called "Virevolte," which means 'to twirl around.' Very accurate name, because if I had something similar that's probably exactly what I'd do with it. I love that it has a little matching coat which gives the dress a different look when it's on, but the dress has enough structure and personality in the top half that the coat isn't absolutely necessary to the ensemble, if that makes any sense. There are some dresses that don't look right without the matching coat, but this isn't one of them. On one hand, it does give me slight schoolmarm vibes. On the other, it feels very professional....and looks warm. lol Check out this Pin to see the dress without the coat...I think the knotting at the collar is by far my favorite piece of this outfit. 








I came across this a couple of times while looking for other photos, and since I loved it more every time I saw it, I had to include it. Hunter green is one of my absolute favorite shades in general, but it really seems to pop the most during the colder seasons. I don't know if that makes sense or I just sound like a weirdoball, but certain colors just seem to come to life for me during different seasons. I love how it pairs with this sweater; both materials (and colors) used complement each other well and create a look that is both classy and fashionable. Extra points for the beret addition. It's probably just me, but I'm also getting early '90s vibes from this photo. Either way though, it's something I'd wear. 








I'm really surprised that I love this one as much as I do, but I adore it to death. A plaid cape that cuts this kind of silhouette could be a totally different outfit if done incorrectly but this one gets it completely right. It's everything! This would be unbelievably chic to wear with some brown boots and a beret. It deserves three snaps in a Z formation for me. Seasonal colors, acceptable length, and the combination of the buttons and the belted waist are killing me with a quickness. I love this. 








This is a pretty close to what I think of in terms of a fall color palette. My lighter green choice would probably be olive rather than avocado, but close enough. lol I think my fall palette is more inspired by nature than anything else, because while I like variations of these shades for other seasons, I go for the deeper colors more during this time of year. Do you have a fall palette or seasonal inspiration? If so, what is it?








One thing that I have a definite love-hate relationship with in '60s fashion is the makeup. While I enjoyed the basic elements of the makeup, I didn't care for the "high-fashion" makeup art or the more overdone versions of regular mod makeup at all. This is one of the more subtle looks, and I thought it would look good on both blue and brown eyes so I included it. Of course, you could put a more modern spin on the look, but this is one of those that I think is fine as is. The lashes and eyeliner were always by far my favorite elements of mod makeup, and it's done in a subtle but still wearable way here. 








I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the other fall-themed fashions I put up in this post, but it's Fredrick's of Hollywood and I loved most of the dresses I saw in this photo. These are some of the dresses from the fall 1963 line and while you can see bits of the '50s silhouette, I think there's also a hint at the more vivacious side of clothing to come in the prints used for the dresses. I'm more partial to the 2nd one on the top row and the 3rd on the bottom row. I've seen the latter in motion in a few '60s and '70s movies, and I love that the scarf can either drape behind the dress or be tied in the front of it. I wonder what colors these were.  



Mandy's Note: It's Friday when I'm posting this, so ignore the original timestamp. That does it for me today; I'm sorry again that this is going up a couple of days late. Next week's edition will be on time. How'd you enjoy our TNT last night? I have to admit that I haven't seen many of Susan Hayward's movies so I don't have much basis for comparison. But even though I found Harriet to be an opportunistic, disloyal brat who definitely didn't deserve the guy in the end, I thought Susan Hayward did a great job with the character, especially for a character who was initially male. To take that and put a spin on it for a female that was done in an equally unscrupulous but believable sort of way was a great job on all parts. I was just confused that even though most movies clearly describe Harriet as being unscrupulous, she was also still labeled as the protagonist/heroine of the film. I didn't get that at all. But anywho, I hope (if you were watching) that you enjoyed the film and you enjoyed this collection of fall-inspired colors and fashions. See you soon!




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment