Wednesday, September 2, 2015

From the eBay Files...

Hi! My laptop's still holding up for the time being, so I want to see how many of the Files posts I can finish ahead of time in case it craps out. Anyway, after the craziness that was Summer Under the Stars last month, I didn't really have a big theme in mind for this month. As far as the review blog goes, I've been really inspired by the autumn season in general, and over here, it's been a mix of both autumn inspiration and furniture. I recently found a batch of furniture shops on the 'Gram and it got me back into looking for some antiques. Other than those two things though, it's going to be very random around these parts for September so I hope that's okay with you. On to the Files!
Vintage French Provencial White Carved Wooden Chair
with Coral Accent, $425

If I had a dressing room or a walk-in closet that I could put furniture in, I'd want a color scheme similar to the colors in this antique French chair. I'd want a room that was coral, champagne or rose gold and I think chairs like this would suit that collection of colors well. Depending on the size I think I'd want a fainting couch in there too; I love those. lol This one is simple but still feminine and despite its age, the condition of the chair in general isn't too bad. It doesn't look like the bottom cushion would be too hard to reupholster either if that's your thing. I'm just learning about it so obviously said tip is lost on me. LOL








2 Carved Italian Victorian-Era Walnut Side Chairs, $850

The backing of these chairs remind me of some of the decorations or chairs in the Gothic-style cathedrals and that's what drew me to them. These are very distinctive though in that if you don't have similar or exact matches to these chairs, it won't look right. Like these can't be front and center at a table with a walnut finish or a glass tabletop. lol I would love to see what these look like as a complete set in someone's home. They're in great condition. I love looking at Italian antiques because there's always so much detail in each piece. 








Antique French Marbled Top Table, $895

I didn't really think of the furniture I'd want if I had an entryway in my house until I started watching YouTube videos on the regular and being able to look at the various vloggers' entryways. I just figured I'd probably leave mine empty but I now realize how unfinished that'd probably look. Even though this could probably double for a dresser or table in a bedroom, I also think it would make a really good entryway table or a nice piece for one of those little random nooks around the house. 








10-pc Antique Spanish Baroque-Detailed Bedroom Set, $23,850

First things first, check that price. Secondly, when I saw this picture in the search I was thinking it was just this piece until I clicked on the product page and found out it was actually part of a set. Then I scrolled back up, checked that price and nearly died right then. lol But on the flipside, this is a truly gorgeous bedroom set. There are headboards, side pieces and footboards for two twin beds, two nightstands, a dressing table with a mirror and bench, and this wardrobe piece here, which has been modernized on the inside. I looked at the page and if you didn't need the twin beds, the frames can be combined to create a king-size frame instead, which I thought was cool. This set is said to be from around 1915 and for a piece that's been around for a century, the condition is impeccable. The condition of antiques continues to astound me, in case you couldn't tell by now. LOL








Antique-Style Sofa and Loveseat Living Room Set, $2,998

So obviously this isn't a genuine set but it's antique-inspired, which gives me a little more comfort in terms of being afraid to eff it up. The only thing that I would say gives me pause is that the more I explore genuine antique or antique-inspired furniture, many people comment that although they are pretty, they tend to be sort of uncomfortable. I wonder if you could switch out the cushions to something a bit more modern but still with the theme of the set. Anyway, when I see sets like this I think 'formal living room,' which you reserve for fancy occasions, those you want to impress or those you don't want to stay too long. If your sofas are uncomfortable, they won't sit on them for too long, thereby relieving you of their company that much faster. LOL I kid. 








Antique Pulaski French White-Painted Bed Frame and Headboard, $1,240.85

One thing I love most about antique French furniture is the framing. The living room set above this photo, this headboard, most bedroom sets all have this very distinctive (in relation to other eras or countries) framing/shaping that I really like. I do wonder how you take care of aged furniture; some aging looks okay and can even agree with the overall aesthetic of the piece but in general, how do you take care of an antique over time? As I said above, antiques and the condition that many of them are found in astounds me, mainly because when I see old-looking furniture, it's usually because of wear and tear, not necessarily because it's a really old piece. So if you get a genuinely aged piece, how do you properly take care of it?








Vintage Vanity/Dressing Table with Tri-Fold Mirror, $375

I was initially looking at this vanity here, but what made me choose this one instead were the folding windows on the sides. This one I believe is either from the '40s or '50s and even though it's much more simple than I'd prefer, the style is why I like them so much. If you have a narrow vanity chair, it'll fit into that middle section with no issues, which I like. Also, if your eyesight is awful like mine and you need to be part of the mirror in order to see your face when you're putting on your makeup, there's another reason to get a vanity like this one. I have a bunch of makeup so I never considered putting it in those tiny little drawers; I actually have no idea what I'd put in there. My makeup damn sure won't fit. lol  








Antique Art Deco Chandelier with Original Finish, $299

Normally when I look at chandeliers, I go for pieces that are either silver or gold; I haven't found too many with this kind of finish that I really liked. I usually don't go for this style of chandelier either, which is why it surprised me that I liked this one as much as I did. But I do; it has this aged, sort of steampunk finish about it that I would love to put up somewhere in a home. I also love the pearl finish on those bulbs. Does anyone know what kind of bulbs these are?








Vintage Ornate Brass Vanity Tabletop Mirror, $50

I'm not really one for tabletop mirrors because I would inevitably end up tripping over the furniture this would be sitting on at some point. In my life that means I'd end up knocking over everything on top of it, including this mirror, which would then fall and shatter everywhere, slicing my toes to hell and getting stuck in my feet, I'd have to go to the ER, get a needle put in my foot and have the shards removed, then still have to come home and pick up all the glass. LOL Okay so that might have been a bit dramatic (except for the glass shards getting removed in the ER part...that's happened to me before) but it's honestly what goes through my mind when I think about having a tabletop mirror. The reason why I put it in this post was because if it was a wall piece and was a larger size, it would make such a pretty combination with the French table I showed above in an entryway.








Antique Chinese Hand-Carved Set of 4 Nesting Tables, $825

I've put up a set of nesting tables before, but check the details on this set! This is an antique Chinese piece and the design on each of the chairs was carved by hand. Even if you're not in the market for some chairs, please go look at this set. I am in love with the detail, the colors of the details and the wood finish, all of it. My problem with chairs like these, especially those in a set, is where to put them. I'd want guests to see these, primarily for the design on the tops of the chairs, but I wouldn't want them in a place where they could deteriorate from wear and tear. Anyway, I'm in love. 


Well that does it for our Files post this week. I didn't have a specific time period or theme for this collection; I just wanted to pick out some furniture that I thought would look good in the home. I still don't know if I want something more vintage or if I'd prefer a more modern design. There are things I like about both and there's no doubt of furniture that I love from both styles, but what I am most concerned with is the feel. Of course I want it to look good, who doesn't, but I also want it to feel good. Do my guests feel comfortable in my home (despite a tip I included above for the exact opposite)? I think a lot of what I'd like to do with my home is contingent upon that. Anywho, I've rambled enough. I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you soon!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment