Wednesday, May 13, 2015

From the Pinterest Files...




'Ello! I decided to make picnics and garden parties the theme for this month now that it's finally warm enough during the day. I was going to do it back in March but between the wind, sporadic rain showers and the slightly colder than normal temperatures, I wasn't about to sit and have a picnic nor was I going to suggest it. LOL It's still a little gusty, but for the most part it's been beautiful lately. So for my Pinterest Files this month, I thought I'd focus on outfits that would be good to spend an afternoon picnicking in or that would be suitable for a garden party.






I know that the Pin says its for summer but since spring is usually rather warm in my neck of the woods, it still fits. I think both of these outfits are good options for either a garden party or a picnic if you know your way around patterns and a sewing machine. I really like the versatility involved in making two dresses with complimentary patterns and being able to create four looks rather than two. As much as I love the color black in fashion, I also try to stay away from it during the summer, so I like that there are light and playful colors in these looks.











I think these outfits are more suited for picnics, but again, I'm loving the light colors and playful feel that both ensembles give out. If you'd like a more modern take on both looks, you can go here for the gingham and white outfit, and this outfit I found on Unique Vintage seems to be a pretty accurate update to the white and blue. I'm not so crazy about the pants, but it does seem to fit the second look in the Pin pretty well.











I think this dress would be lovely for a garden party; I'm still a sucker for polka dots and I love the sky blue and white in this dress. The material doesn't look super heavy which I appreciate. Spring can easily climb to the '90s here, and summer is even worse so the last thing I want to do is have on a dress that's made of a thick material. This has a fun look to it, a spring-appropriate feel, and I like it.











I didn't learn until a few days ago that this style of decor and print was called 'atomic;' when I would Google it I always typed in "Jetsons decor." LOL It reminds me of the Jetsons. I've always liked this type of print, I just wasn't sure what it was called. Anyway, I think this is fun but suitable enough for both a picnic or a garden party. I love the lighter colors and how they mesh together, I dig the breezy feel of the skirt, and I like that it still has a classy sort of look to it.











This is a Pin for a pattern rather than an outfit, but I love the outfits that are displayed. Again, appropriate for either occasion and I think they're a classy throwback to today's denim overalls. I like the idea of classing up pant overalls, and all of these outfits are casual enough to be comfortable, but chic enough to not give off an underdressed vibe. At least not to me. lol I really wish I knew how to work a sewing machine. Who am I kidding. I wish I owned a sewing machine. LOL











I'm not bold enough to wear a top like this out and about anymore. Now if I was 17 again, I'd wear it with no hesitation. But I'm 28 now and my thighs smile at people even when I ask them not to. Sometimes, my stomach likes to make cameos as well and tops like these are best suited for those with completely flat stomachs. I'm petite but not as toned as I'd like to be, so I don't typically wear outfits like this anymore. But it would be so cute for a picnic, wouldn't it? The colors and the print are festive for the season, I like the contrast of the small top and the larger, high-waisted shorts, and even though I actually think it's better for summer, it's quite cute for spring too.











Another dress that is supposed to be suited for summer, but I think would look good during spring as well. I love pinafores, and it actually took me a minute to find a suitable, flowy pinafore on Pinterest because most of the ones I came across first were fitted. I don't know why, but for some reason when I think of spring I think of free, flowy material rather than fitted or body-hugging. Is that weird? lol Anyway, this coral pinafore looks comfortable, is versatile in the style of shirt or shoes you can pair with it, and I love the white accent buttons and the large pockets.











I love high-waisted shorts. I mentioned a pair up above with the gingham print halter but they were in white. These black ones are more picnic-friendly because if you're a Messy Mandy like myself, then condiments, grass and other colored items of life magically find their way onto your white clothes and ruin them completely. It's just not practical for me to wear anything white. lol So these black high-waisted shorts seem like a suitable compromise. Shorts in this style with the button detail remind me a lot of nautical styled bottoms, which are another warm weather favorite of mine. 











Much like the pinafore I put a couple of entries above, I think suspender pants like these are versatile and suitable for either a garden party or picnic. The loose leg of the pants is good for lounging in on a blanket and you can wear either a full shirt or a tank with it, or you can dress them up with your shirt and shoe choices for a garden party. They're a bit more dressy than wearing jeans, but still fit the bill for a warm-weather soiree.











For me this is more of a garden party outfit rather than a picnicking one, but the colors and the pattern on the skirt are a nod to both the season and the scenery. I really like the cross halter front on the top, but the floral pencil skirt is my favorite part of the outfit. I'd probably wear a different colored belt, but overall I love this. It's chic and sexy, and even though for me most floral prints are either pretty or '70s sofa realness, I love this skirt and the dark green on top. 




Well that wraps things up for me this week. I apologize for it being a day late; yesterday I got started later than I intended to and it ended up dragging on through until the evening, when I finally said bump it and went to sleep. lol I wanted to include a lot of other spring-related skirts and dresses, but I wasn't able to find the ones I wanted on Pinterest. I won't be on Twitter for our TNT; my sister is being inducted in her high school's NHS tonight so I'll be at the ceremony, but I hope you enjoy the movie and I'll see you soon!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment