Wednesday, May 6, 2015

From the eBay Files....


Howdy! After a month-long hiatus, I thought I'd bring the Files series back; I was missing it. lol I knew that I wanted to bring it back this month but for the longest time I was unsure what I would use as the theme for this "welcome back" edition of the Files. I finally came up with a few ideas, none of which go together at all. LOL I'm going to start the Local Haunts (the field trips lol) this month, so I've had antiques on the brain a lot since I'm starting the series with a few of my local antique stores. The Met Gala was the other night and I loved the Chinese theme that was chosen, so I've been stuck on that. Finally, now that spring is in full swing--and on a 100m dash to summer--I've been looking at a lot of eyelets and florals. You know, again. I look at them every spring. lol Let's see what I scrounged up this week.






Vintage '50s Cheongsam Black Chinese Silk Wiggle Dress, $39.95

A few months ago, I was watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and in one of the episodes I saw Phryne wearing a red cheongsam with white detailing, I became obsessed, and I've been on the hunt for a similar one ever since. I think cheongsam dresses are gorgeous, but I didn't know what they were called until I looked it up when I was trying to find a dress similar to Phryne's or at least a picture of hers in the episode. I love Chinese silk and the clothes they make with it, including this dress. I've seen some Chinese dresses or Chinese-inspired garments in a few black and white movies and I think these look best designed as wiggle dresses, which is another reason why I ended up choosing this one. 








Vintage Bronze Chandelier with Crystals, $385

I have this thing with old chandeliers. I don't know if there's a vintage one that I've met yet that I didn't like. If it's a chandelier, chances are that I like it. This one is rather simple, not too formal for a small apartment or home, and doesn't make me feel like I need to wear an evening gown to dinner. lol When I was a kid, a chandelier seemed to be a symbol of wealth for me and I always went googly-eyed when I saw one. Nothing's changed. What I like about this one is that it's not massive. I'm not sure of its age, but it looks like the owners have kept it in good shape over the years. 








Voodoo Vixen '50s Style Sarong Pencil Dress, $39.90

I was watching a Get Ready with Me tutorial by PinupDollAshleyMarie on YouTube the other day, and she had this front cross halter dress on by Pinup Girl Clothing that was pretty similar to the bottom half of this one. This particular dress is only available in a 14, but what caught my eye with this one was the shade of blue. I think that the individual elements all combined creates a dress that for some reason, reminds me of breezy spring days. The material doesn't look super thick either, which is another reason why this dress works for me. 








'50s Art Deco-inspired Panel, $14.99
When I first saw this I thought it was made out of some sort of antique metal, but turns out it's just plastic. I probably should have realized that when I saw the price. But I still love it, and now the worry of it falling and crushing my toes if I bought it is gone. LOL I'm going to have to look up why peacocks were such a go-to design element during the '20s. I see bits and pieces of peacock-inspired design in so many Art Deco pieces, both original and repro, but I never understood why. No matter though, peacocks are gorgeous. I'd love to hang this up in the entryway of a home; set over a small end table with a similar colored finish, this would look really nice. 









Voodoo Vixen '50s Style White Floral & Birdcage Detailed Pencil Dress, $31.90

I love this dress so much it makes me angry that I can't have it. lol What I like about this is, first of all, that neckline. Who doesn't like the clash of black and white? I think the leaf, bird and birdcage detailing creates a quirky pattern that, on paper, sounds like it has all the potential to be a disaster. But it's executed in a minimalist way; there's no other colors, the cut is undeniably feminine but there aren't any extra details (fringe, peplum, frills, etc.), and it all meshes together very well. It would look fine with little pops of color in the accessories, but it would also look just fine as is. I love it. 







Vintage Barrel Lounge Chairs, $500
Chairs like these look so comfy and I have been a fan of them for as long as I can remember. Any chair with a large cushion on both the seat and back and the ability to swivel is a winner for me. This would be an excellent reading chair for me, as I have this strange need to contort myself into a ball or other folded position in a comfy spot while I'm reading. These chairs are begging to be curled up in and loved on. lol There are a couple of reddish-colored stains on one of the seats but from what I understand, the damage is minor. I don't see many, if any, modern chairs being created in the barrel style anymore so these would be a great acquisition for whoever decides to purchase them.








Voodoo Vixen '50s Style Emerald Green Peacock Detailed Dress, $69

This post is rather heavy with entries from this particular brand and it wasn't intentional but I love these dresses. I had to put something emerald colored on here with it being this month's birthstone, and how hot is this dress? I love the sleeves with the neckline, and the color looks great with the cut of the dress in general. The peacock detailing is done in a way that looks classy, not tacky and the ruffled accent at the side is a nice touch. 








Rustic Hard Wood Art Deco-inspired Room Divider, $474.50
I never gave it a significant amount of thought before because I wasn't sure how to style them, but I realized that I love room dividers. It's the simple fact of not knowing how to style them so that they don't look out of place in a room, or give the entire room an unfinished vibe. I love the rustic look of this divider, and the Art Deco touches in the style of the sections. This is a rather tall piece; the seller lists it as being just below 6". I'm interested in hearing another perspective--if this was your piece, how would you style it?






1960s Vintage Asian Wiggle Dress, $15
To say that I like this dress would be such an understatement that it would be a lie. I'm infatuated. lol That price is beautiful, the seller's description mentions that the dress would best fit someone with a smaller chest (one of the only times I'd be grateful for such an attribute), and it would be a very different addition to the rather modern wardrobe I have now. I think the print on the dress is amazing; prints like these were what I have been trying to find for the longest time but I couldn't. I probably just wasn't looking in the right places. What surprised me the most though was that this is a piece from a decade that I normally don't pay too much attention to in terms of fashion, so maybe that was a hint for me to open my mind up to the '60s just a little bit. lol







Art Deco Iron Bronze and Marble Console with Mirror, $895
This would be another great addition to a home's entryway, but unlike the gold peacock panel I listed earlier, these pieces are made of heavy material that would effectively shatter the toes of a clumsy owner. This is a genuine Art Deco piece, but the marble has been repaired over time. The details are what caught my attention with this piece; I love mirrors with that sort of detailing going around the sides, and if there's a matching table to go with it then of course I'm going to want it. I'm not so crazy about the marble; I'd prefer an all-black marble with this. But altogether, I think this is an awesome piece, the condition is great and I didn't notice any damage to the table or mirror. I can see why it is the price it is. I still want it though. lol




Well, that wraps things up for this Files post. I didn't forget about that Instagram post, but finding feeds that fit the theme I was going for is proving to be just a little harder than I'd anticipated. But it'll be up soon. I know this was a random smorgasbord of items, but let's be real here: Should you ever expect any different from me? lol Even though I didn't mention Art Deco up in the intro part of the post, I still get drawn to it anytime I see it online. It's becoming a problem, much like my renewed interest in Pinterest (ha), which you'll get to see next week. See you soon!




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment