Wednesday, July 2, 2014

From the eBay Files....


Now that we've finished the month of wedding, it's time to move on to another big part of summer--outdoor parties and entertaining. An outdoor event to me could be something as small as inviting a couple of friends over for dinner in one's backyard, or it could be as large as a nighttime bonfire with lots of people. 4th of July is this Friday, so it inspired me to make this month's theme outdoor get-togethers, vintage style. Throughout the month I'm going to show you a variety of links and photos to get you in the summer spirit and hopefully give you some inspiration to get out there to throw your own fete a la outdoors. Be quiet, that was my version of fancy talk. LOL Anyway, as always, we're going to kick off the month with eBay. Come check out what I found!






Vintage Wicker Picnic Basket with Plates & Cups, $25

If you're new to ATV, then you probably missed my previous posts detailing my obsession with picnic baskets. I love picnics and I love parks. I also love the concept of putting your food in a basket, going somewhere nice and peaceful and carving out your tiny little corner in it to enjoy yourself for the afternoon. Is that corny? Probably. I don't care. When I was a kid, families went for picnics all the time. I saw it in cartoons and the movies growing up a lot, but my family isn't really a picnic-going family. We're a loud, rowdy, cookout in the backyard with music blasting and kids all over the place family. lol So quiet parks aren't for all of us together. 

By myself, however, I don't mind. And because there's a cornball in me that's dying to get out, I want to go all out for my picnic--small snackable foods, a cute little basket with the plates and cups like the one I've included above, gingham-printed blanket, and either a netted tent or one of those huge umbrellas. I'd spread my blanket out next to a tree somewhere, drown myself (and my blanket) in bug repellant, eat my snacks and spend the afternoon reading and dozing, enjoying the solitude. Sounds like a great way to spend a warm afternoon to me. 












Vintage Coleman Blue Diamond Metal
Upright Cooler Fridge, $39.99

I picked this cooler because I think it would be good for outdoor events where there'll be a lot of people. I wouldn't drag this to the park for a day alone. lol The fact that it was an upright cooler is what initially grabbed my attention, and when I saw it was a cooler fridge I had to put it up here. The top half is a regular cooler, with the push spigot so you can get drinks. That can be for the kiddies. The bottom half is like a fridge, where you can keep the beers and stuff for the adults. 












http://www.ebay.com/itm/BNWT-RETRO-50-S-VINTAGE-STYLE-NAUTICAL-SAILOR-THEME-PLAYSUIT-16-18-SUMMER-PARTY-/171373337082?pt=UK_Women_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item27e6a599fa
Retro '50s Nautical Playsuit, $3.99

This nautical themed playsuit is so summer appropriate and cute I wish I could have it for myself. Right now it's still at its base price of $3.99, but there are still 8 days of bidding so I expect that price to rise soon. This outfit would be perfect for Independence Day festivities or just a regular ol' summer outing. I love nautical themed clothes for summertime and this one fits the bill without going overboard. It's easy to accent as well; if you want to keep the nautical theme going a pair of anchor studs or related jewelry would be understated but cute. 












Vintage Outdoor Jumbo Checkers Game w/Box, $9.00

I love me a good game of checkers. I taught my brothers how to play and occasionally, I might be able to wrangle one of them into playing with me. It's a very rare occasion, but it happens nonetheless. lol If you have children old enough to play or if you enjoy a round of checkers yourself, I think this jumbo-sized game would be a good entertainment option if spending a day in the backyard or picnicking at the park. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to anchor down and it's large enough to give the players some space. The price is great, too. 












Vintage Salad Bowl Set, $16.99

This would be a set that I would reserve for home or smaller dinner parties. This salad set (which I'm guessing is a '70s bred set) serves 6 individuals, with a larger salad bowl and utensils for serving. I believe that's a salad recipe book in the center, so there's a bit of help when coming up with ideas for what type of salad to make. I love kitschy little things like this; give me something that's themed or specific for one type of thing and I'm all over it. You could just as easily eat your salad on a plate with the rest of your food--but why bother when you can eat it in something this cute instead?












Vintage Antiqued Wood Sign, $80

This sign is supposed to be for establishments and the like, but I think it would also be a good sign to have if you have a game room, bar or outdoor kitchen in your home. I'm all for vintage signage in the home as I think they're fun and have personality. Something else that I like about this sign is that it was water sealed, so it won't take weather-related damage no matter where you put it. I don't drink, but I still like the sign. lol I'm not as enamored with the price, but the more I look at it, the more I realize how easy it would be to DIY. So I'm a craft freak. Sue me. 












'80s Plaid Strapless Dress, $45

The way this dress is styled, I'm thinking it's probably an '80s-does-'50s summer dress. Personally, I love it. It has the gingham print which you know I love, it's patriotic which makes it a great 4th of July dress, and I really like the top of the dress. I know there's a term for that kind of top, but I don't know what it is. lol Either way, I love everything about it and it's a breezy, simple dress great for any casual summer get-together. 












1960s Never Been Assembled Orange Structo Tabletop Grill, $75

I like tabletop grills for their portability, their convenient setup and disassembling process and the fact that it's still a grill so I can still cook what I like, just without all the fuss I have to go through when using my larger grill. Now this one is a safe option to go with when cooking alone or for two because of the convenience and portability. This is an original Structo grill from the '60s and the base looks a bit sturdier than today's models. Some of today's models are constructed a bit thinner, probably because they weigh less which makes them easier to carry around, but I think I prefer them like this even if it does mean I've added a few pounds to what I'd have to carry. I was originally looking for a hibachi, but then I found this one and figured it suited this month's theme much better. 














Vintage-Inspired Chelsea Crew Kitty Blue Sandals in Size 10, $27.99

What I like about these sandals is that even though they have a vintage appearance, they're practical for a day out and about without causing aching toes at the end of the day. As I've said countless times, I'm not really a heels kinda gal. I'm barely a wedges kinda gal. Let's just cut the crap--if I could walk barefoot everywhere without hurting my feet, I probably would. I might put on those little foot jewel things, but otherwise if I could be barefoot 24/7 with no repercussions I'd do it. But these look fit for walking, the material doesn't look like it would blister too much (except maybe at the bottom part of the enclosed portion), the material isn't too thick and it would suit an array of different vintage summer dresses. 












How to Build Outdoor Furniture Manual, $3

This manual is from the mid- to late-fifties on how to construct various kinds of outdoor furniture. This intrigued me because I have a little Betty the Builder in me, and I also love seasonal projects. I find construction projects to be an excellent usage of time, which I tend to have too much of during the summer, I can get my entire family involved at some capacity, and the end result (provided that nobody was maimed or killed in the process LOL) of big projects always make the work worth it. Plus they're excellent bragging points. I don't know about you but "I made it myself" is one of my favorite sentences. lol Because of when the book was made, this manual will make for a great reference book to consult as many times as you want if you want to make more vintage outdoor furniture down the line. 






Well, that wraps up our first Files for the month. eBay has been getting more fun all the time and I am now completely confident in the fact that if I had more money to spare, a good chunk of it would probably go to eBay auctions and random purchases. Thankfully it's not on the Etsy level yet but it's getting there. This was a rare time in which I had to stop myself at my usual limit for these posts or I would have definitely kept going. 

I have noticed the longer that I do these Files that eBay really is a bit of a dark horse when it comes to acquiring vintage goods. Many people mention thrift stores or yard sales/flea markets when they talk about getting vintage stuff, but I hardly hear anyone mention eBay. I wish they would; it's become an excellent resource to finding vintage stuff from all over the world. As always, I hope you've enjoyed this post and that you'll be joining me throughout the month as we explore vintage outdoor celebrations. See you on Monday! 


And don't forget, if you're on Twitter for tomorrow's TNT, tag your movie-related tweets with #atvTNT so I can see them!




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment