Wednesday, May 14, 2014

From the Pinterest Files....

For once, I have to admit that I'm not overly interested in Pinterest this month. I've been trying to build up my Etsy and Amazon favorites so that I can keep track of the items I've already featured and start collecting more favorites for my next entries, so Pinterest's vintage files sort of fell to the bottom of the priority list for a bit. It's a weird day for me when I'm not plotzing about pinning all the things. I blame Etsy. Let's see what we can scrounge up today!






Getting into the summer spirit (and giving you a little peek at this month's Vintage Spotlight), I found this pin of two ladies in swimwear back in a '50s era Vogue spread. I've mentioned a few times before that I came to appreciate vintage swimwear kinda late in the game, but I love a lot of the bathing suits that I see now. I appreciate the modesty but femininity that I believe they display. My body's not in bad shape at all but I'm just not very comfortable in low-rise bikini bottoms and tiny triangle tops. I'd be much more comfortable and I think I'd feel a lot more confident if I was wearing something that still made me feel like a woman without having so much of my body out for display. I do wonder about the comfort level of these once they're wet, though. 








Follow Rachael H's board Ads- Vintage Swimwear on Pinterest.


If you like looking at older ads and graphics, then this board of swimwear-themed ads should be right up your alley. You regular readers already know my habit of salivating over vintage ads. I came across this board and realized it was a two in one so I had to put it up here. 'Twas fate, it was. So anywho, this board is a nice size, just over 100 pins, full of different vintage swimwear ads. My personal favorite, Jantzen's, is luckily all up and through the board. There's another ad towards the bottom that has some prices of swimsuit separates back in the '30s. $2.98 for a bikini bottom?? I wish. Lawd, I wish.  










Ohmylanta, this is almost identical to my dream jumpsuit!! Remember the purple one I keep mentioning whenever I bring up the fact that one of my past lives was a disco queen? (For new readers, don't judge me. I just really really love the '70s.) That jumpsuit. This one is just like it. I've never seen it before outside of my too-vivid imagination, but this is nearly identical. Color it plum, have a slightly softer material and I swear that's it. Unfortunately, the Pin doesn't link back to a site where I can buy one or a sewing pattern to have one made but I had to show this off. There isn't enough time for me to properly explain the different levels on which I adore this jumpsuit but I'm really grateful to the pinner for finding this photo. 








Follow Miss Vintage's board Vintage Wardrobe: Swimwear and Playsuits on Pinterest.


I am in love with this board. In addition to swimwear, a healthy array of playsuits and candid b&w photos are also featured on the board. I love this collection also because some of the outfits are from Etsy, and since those are next week's files I now have a perfectly fine excuse to go check it out early. As much as I love vintage, I still never knew what a playsuit was until earlier, when I kept coming across it in my search for vintage summer clothes. There are a lot of them on this board and I think I might have become slightly obsessed with them, so don't be surprised if I end up featuring a few from Etsy next week. I recommend checking out Miss Vintage's page; all of her boards are full of vintage fabulousness and shouldn't be ignored. 








Rachel Kerr's pin on Pinterest.


I believe I mentioned this in March during the Month of Festival, but I find myself gravitating towards more '70s-inspired, bohemian styles as spring fades out into summer. So it should be no surprise that I am yet again at a '70s outfit. This one I think is too cute because I love wrap tops like this one, and I also like the high-waisted skirt. Now if it was a high-waisted miniskirt with this top, I probably wouldn't like it. But I like the contrast of the higher, looser skirt with the tighter top. I also like that they're separates because I think both pieces are pretty versatile and can be worn with different things if one of the pieces isn't your personal style. Love the pattern as well; it's unique and vibrant to me without overdoing it. Great for summer.








Follow elle Are's board Summer Vintage Inspirations on Pinterest.


As I'm sure you can tell by the name of the board, this has almost 200 pins full of vintage summer inspiration. The board spans over at least three decades and has a bit of everything from b&w candids to wedding dress ideas, a few ads to vintage-inspired repro photos. I wish I knew how to sew clothes or owned a sewing machine; there is so much to draw on from this board to make a few new separates that would be chic for summer....and easy on my wallet. lol 










In a little peek at next month's Vintage Spotlight, I found a pin of this dress from the late 1800s. I agree with the pinner, it must have been hell with whistles on the organs being sucked into that corset.  But you already know I'm a groupie for almost anything from the 1800s, so I had to post this dress. If this is a genuine piece and not repro, then it's in stellar condition for being as old as it is, no? It's a unique gown; I wonder how long it is or if there's a train. Unfortunately, this pin just takes you to a larger size of the same picture so unless someone has seen a full-length photo I guess we'll never know. Still pretty though. 








Follow Beverli's board Vintage Summer on Pinterest.


This is a small board, but it's full of candids and I love looking at those. Everyone looks like they're having a ball and the fashion's on point too. A couple of the pictures repeat a few times, but that's okay. If you were reading ATV last year, I have a challenge for you--how many photos on this board did I feature during last year's swimwear post? I'm going to assume the pictures spread from around the '30s to about the late '60s or early '70s, but either way I think it showed some varied fashion choices and I hope the creator of the board continues to find more photos to pin. 










I came across this photo of a Black Rosie the Riveter and even though it doesn't exactly go with the theme that I've more or less created with this set of Files, I had to post it the minute I saw it. As a Black chick in love with vintage, it's really awesome to me whenever I come across vintage photos of my colored kin because I don't get to see it very often unless it's in a negative light. Even though this riveter was probably segregated at her job, I still thought it was a great photo to show.  








Follow Julia Fisher's board 1930's || Spring/Summer on Pinterest.


And to close it out, a board full of summer fashion from the '30s. Playsuits, beach pyjamas, candids and other day to day fashion for summertime from this decade are on this 100 Pin board. Everything I've seen looks very lightweight, comfortable and breezy, good for the beach or just running some errands. A few ads are on this board as well; I came across a few for bathing suits (with enviable prices yet again) and a mail order catalog ad for summer separates, like boleros and what I believe are palazzo pants. I'm too jealous of the prices, though. 





So that's it for my Pinterest Files for May! Even though I wasn't all that eager to do it when I first started, it ended up being its usual load of fun and now I'm going back and forth between that and Etsy. Gotta get started early on next week's post, of course. ::lies:: Anywho, I hope I've given you some new pins to fawn over or some new boards to follow and use as inspiration. Summer is finally on the way and I couldn't be happier to leave those jackets at home and break my sandals back out. Well, bc I live in Texas I never fully put them away....but whatever. My point is, winter's over and I can't wait to get into my summer clothes! See you back here next week!
From my corner where I'll be working on late posts for what feels like the rest of my life,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment