Wednesday, May 21, 2014

From the Etsy Files...

And we're already back to my favorite Wednesday of the month! I blamed Etsy for not really being excited about Pinterest last week, and even though it's not true I'm going to blame it again for why I don't get my work done today as well. As you can see, I'm planning ahead. lol I've started to save my past Etsy files items and when I've gotten them all together I'll provide a link so that you can see them all in one place rather than scrolling back through all the Etsy Files posts. I don't think I have anything left to add except that I hope you've been having a fun week and that you enjoy this edition of the Files!


1950's Style Repro Playsuit, $95

I have to admit that I haven't liked the idea of a short/crop top with longer shorts for very long; I actually still don't like it when it's done incorrectly. But I've been looking at more candids of playsuits and when they're worn a certain way, they look much cuter than the picture I had in my head. There are a number of things I like about this playsuit. I like the print firstly; what's cool about Vintage Rags and Digs is that you can make a custom order and select your own prints as well as a custom tailored fit for your body. I don't mind this one just like it is. I also like that while it has a vintage concept, it looks versatile which I like because to be honest, sometimes vintage can get a little repetitive to me. I think that fashion (something I really know nothing about beyond my personal preferences) can become so much fun when you take something that was created for a certain time period and create an entirely new look out of it, put a different spin on it. You can go totally vintage with this playsuit or you can make it a bit more current.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/183610562/50s-white-eyelet-dress-cotton-eyelet
'50s White Cotton Eyelet Dress, $88
I love eyelet dresses for summer. I think they're simple, feminine, cool (Texas summers feel like they're at the junction of Earth's Core and Hell) and versatile. There's so much you can do with an eyelet dress and even though white clothing and I aren't really the best of friends, I think it's such a pretty dress. I believe this is an authentic '50s piece, so as I usually end up saying, the condition is excellent. Another reason why it's a good thing I don't own it. lol I took a look at the shop this comes from, VintageUrbanRenewal, and there's a number of cute things that would be great for one's vintage-inspired summer wardrobe. 
Vintage '70s Empire Waisted Maxi Dress, $42

I love a good maxi dress during the summer. They're fun, they're comfortable, most of them are light in terms of fabric, and they just seem to epitomize summer to me. One of my dream summer outfits is a maxi dress with some kind of vibrant print, a big floppy hat, and some cute (flat) sandals. Very simple, has a bit of vintage flair without being stuffy or part of one set time period, and accommodating of summer heat...even Texas heat. I saw this dress by sabrosavintage and thought it had that element of versatility I was looking for; it's got a simple design and I love the scarf styled sleeves. The print and fit of the dress would be fine for work, an outdoor event or even a casual outdoor wedding. There isn't any wear and tear damage in the way of holes or stains so that's also a plus. A pair of crochet wedges similar to the ones in this photo would be nice, as would sandals. I'd probably wear this dress a little too much. 









Vintage Virginia Beach Postcard, $5.49
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago during our eBay Files that I would love to make some artwork from vintage postcards and other smaller graphics, which is what brought me to this postcard from NostalgiaDrive. If you're one of those who makes a few changes to the home decor scheme every season, then an easy and affordable art DIY would be to make a collage of different photos depicting that season's landscape and hang them on the wall. A collage of retro beach candids and landscapes like this one would be my choice for summer artwork; they can be an accent piece on the wall, I'm sure a few people would ask about it, and it's super affordable so it's a win-win all the way around to me. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/188093761/vintage-1970s-german-sandals-tan-suede
Vintage '70s German Sandals, $78
I wouldn't have known what to wear these sandals with before I started looking at day dresses and vintage summer clothes. And weirdly enough, I only like shoes like this with vintage clothes; I don't like how they look with modern outfits. I'm aware that that's weird but that's how I roll. I think these would look really good with an eyelet dress, but other than that I'm still not quite sure what to wear these shoes with. I was trying to find a summer shoe that wouldn't be my go-to of flats or tennis shoes, didn't have a crazy skinny/high heel and didn't look entirely uncomfortable. I think these fit the bill. What say you? dressedinvintage has an array of vintage shoes, but I think these are my favorite. 
'70s Pleated Chiffon Halter Dress Capelet & Belt Sash,
$60
I saw this dress being sold by VINTAGELOVEbyGIGI and immediately knew that I wanted it in my life. Loving the breezy material and the pleating in the skirt, love the cutout in the back, I even like the little capelet although I'd probably never wear it, and I love that it's a halter top. Not to mention it's pink and polka dotted. lol A dress like this toes the line between something a younger person would wear and something an older lady would wear to church, but I think it can be modernized a bit. But I saw this and thought how comfortable it would probably be to wear to a casual outdoor event. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/189963376/vintage-set-of-florenteen-fine-china-tea
Vintage Florenteen Tea Cup & Saucer Set, $24.95

I'd like to start this one off by saying that I'm not a hot tea drinker unless I'm under the weather, and I have to be pretty far underneath even then. I'm also not a really fancy person, partially because I'm too clumsy for it. So why am I featuring this tea set? Because I still want it, but not for drinking. This would probably piss off so many vintage purists (that's what I call the retro snobs who feel that if you make ANY change to anything vintage whatsoever then somehow you're desecrating it) but who gives. I like quirky home decor, and I also think it gives a feminine touch to have these sitting around in random spots, so what I would do with them is.......make them into candle holders. Hold your tomatoes. I saw it before, I forget where, and I thought it was a great idea to bring a little vintage into the home, it provided another way to use these cups without actually using them or letting them rot in the cabinet, and again, it's quirky and not overdone. And of course, if you change your mind, you can soak and wash them really well and use them later. TumptOverVintage is selling this tea set. 
1940 Beach Playsuit/Midriff Top Pattern,
$55
SoVintageOnEtsy is selling one of these patterns, which would allow you to create a '40s style playsuit, a midriff top, the puffy bottoms like the model on the right is wearing, or a wrap skirt like the one she is holding in the photo. One thing I like about the ability to sew individual garments like the ones being offered with this pattern is that you can create so much versatility with each piece you sew. You can create an outfit or you can just make yourself a new top/skirt/shorts. With my luck, though, I'd end up creating one of those bubble hats from the '90s rather than the puffy shorts. Even though I love sewing and would love my own machine, I fear that maybe it's not my forte. Klutzes don't exactly have the best track record with sharp objects. LOL
Antique Early Victorian Diamond Floral Pendant, $4,350
I think this pendant is so beautiful, but it is definitely one of those 'special occasion' pieces of jewelry. The chain looks like it may have been replaced, but the pendant itself is a genuine Victorian piece so whoever's had it all this time has done a wonderful job with upkeep and minimizing wear & tear damage. SITFineJewelry has this piece for sale, and I like that they described the various ways that the pendant could be used if not for a necklace. Using it as a bridal brooch or as an accessory on a sash sounds wonderful and would make an amazing piece for the 'something old' portion of the festivities. If you like unique vintage jewelry, check out that shop. 
Antique 1920s 18K White Gold Engagement Ring, $6,875
And finally, a small peek at next month's Vintage Spotlight, this authentic Art Deco engagement ring, also from SITFineJewelry. I'm not usually one for gold engagement/wedding rings in any capacity and would much rather prefer silver, but this ring is white gold (think of it like a hint or undertone of gold) and it's beautiful that way. The diamond is mine cut and I have no idea what that means, but I am guessing that's a good thing. lol I know this piece is old so again, whoever's had it all these years took amazing care of it. I think that the shape, the decoration around the diamond and the look of the finish on the ring all help to create a unique engagement ring that I'm sure is going to make some lucky gal very happy. 



If March was nicknamed the Month of Festival because of how much I focused on it in the things I showed you every week, then May should be the Month of Swimwear, because that's been my focus all month. Not only has this month been educational for me (and hopefully for those of you who are new to vintage as well), it also gives me the chance to showcase and silently promote some awesome shops who sell the items I've been learning about. I hope you've found some new ideas for summer, or at least have a viable excuse (as I do lol) if you ended up wasting time on Etsy today. lol I've got some new posts lined up that should be coming out in the next few days and I'll be giving out the links where you can find all the past editions of Files items, so keep your eyes peeled (I've never understood that saying even though I use it myself lol) for those. I'll see you tomorrow on Twitter if you're live-tweeting for TNT! Random note but can you believe it's almost SUTS time again already? Let's hope I don't have another blogger breakdown in the middle of it this year. LOL




Still satellite-less but no longer dying over it,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment