Wednesday, April 2, 2014

From the eBay Files...

Now that the Month of Festival is over, we can get back to focusing on other stuff. When I think of Spring Cleaning, March usually comes to mind because that's what takes up some of my time during Spring Break, but I have noticed that I usually rearrange my room, change something in it or add something new during April or May. I've also been getting apartment/house fever recently, so my head's been in home decor and different kinds of furniture and knick-knacks. I think that's where most of my focus was for this post, vintage pieces that I'd actually put in my home as opposed to vintage pieces that I just like. Let's proceed!
Hollywood Regency/Victorian Mid-Century Sectional Sofa, $395
I think this sofa is adorable. It's not one of those extra-large sofas that sucks up the space if you're working with a smaller living room, I personally would prefer a different color for the cushions but I know olive/avocado green was a pretty popular color choice back in the day when it came to furniture. The wood and upholstery details on the sides of the sofa are gorgeous. This piece has clearly been well-preserved and even has the dreaded plastic covering. I mentioned this in a previous Files post, but how many of you had parents or grandparents who covered their furniture like this and you had to sit on it all the time? I don't think I'd do that, but I hope there's some sort of protection for it that's not so outdated that I would be able to use so that I can enjoy my sofa without the awful covering or the fear that it'll get severely damaged. 








Antique Louis Vuitton Steamer Trunk Coffee Table, $720
The description for this item says that this print was made back in 1910. I had no idea LV had been around that long, which shows you my level of knowledge about fashion designers. I'm not one for fancy labels and showboating those things around, but I love how old this steamer trunk is. It'd be a good piece to have in a quirkier living room and I think antique pieces are always good conversation starters. It'd also make a cute side table to place a lamp or something on top of. 








Milo Baughman Kitchen Table & Chairs, $.99
Yes, that price is accurate. As of the time I made this post, there had been no bids on this set yet, so it was still at the base price of 1 dollar. I didn't really think I'd like a table set like this but I do. It's very simple and understated, it doesn't feel like an imposing piece of furniture which comes to mind for smaller dining areas, but it's still elegant in a way. It's in great condition and I really like the cream snakeskin for the cushions. I hope it's faux though; I don't do real animal prints. It looks mid-century to me, maybe '50s or '60s. What say you?








Vintage European Brass, Bronze and Crystal Chandelier, $305
I think this chandelier would be really nice in a dining space and would bring an added touch of class to something simple like the kitchen table and chair set up above. I've always had a thing for chandeliers; I felt that was one of the signature pieces that differentiated the rich from the 'po. Needless to say, I've never owned a chandelier. LOL Three hundred isn't a bad base price for a chandelier that's nearly 100 years old; this particular piece was said to have been created back in the '30s. I'm pretty sure the crystals have been replaced over time but regardless, I think this is a positively stunning piece. 








Vintage Art Deco Two-Tier Cake Stand w/Bakelite Handle, $21
I'm still trying to figure out what the craze was about bakelite products. I see them a lot on some of the vintage lifestyle blogs I read, and they're in mass amounts on different sites that resell vintage home items. Can anyone educate me on the love for bakelite? Anywhoodle, I love this cake stand because its design is so simple but still looks classy to me. I've always pictured having one of these stands on my kitchen counter, filled with donuts or cakes or some kind of sweet treat I can feed to guests who stop by my house. Color me crazy, but it's details like that that really make me crave my own space. The glass is the most important part of the stand to me, and I love that it's not cracked, scratched or in bad shape. I love it. 








Vintage Mid-Century Adrian Pearsall Sofa Day Bed, $128
When I see this bed, for some reason I think of those '50s movies where you get to see the female character's flat or condo, a sofa day bed has been part of many of those scenes. It's in excellent condition; the only thing I would say I'm not overly fond of is that it doesn't have a back. For the clumsy folks of the world like myself, furniture with no back just isn't a great idea. Again, love the simple design of this piece and the fact that there's little side tables that you can put lighting or other accessories on. I'm not so good with white, but that's why there are sheets, pillows and other bedding options. lol 








Mid Century Saarinen Dining Table & Chairs, $1895
I most likely will never pay this much for a dining set, but I see why it's more expensive than the wood or glass. This lucite set has bronze brass at the base and despite being mid-century, it's in excellent condition. I thought it was a '70s piece by the finish of the lucite. I think this is another good dining set for those with smaller living spaces and the chandelier I included above would also go well with the set. Is there some kind of spray or something you can put on furniture like this to ensure it doesn't nick or get scratches? If there are robots and people are working on science to clone people, I think a spray like that shouldn't be out of the range of acceptable inventions. lol 








Vintage Wooden Treasure Chest, $14.25
If you're familiar with my Files posts, then you know how I am about chests like these and old keys. I used to have a keepsake box when I was a kid, but I don't really have one for my valuables now. I think something like this would be cute next to my bed to hold my jewelry, glasses or money in. It'll be a little piece of vintage even if my bedroom is designed in a more modern way. This chest was created between the '50s and '60s and much like the other pieces I've featured so far, is in excellent condition, especially considering its age. Again, my mind wanders and I wonder what's the story? Who else has used this before me? It intrigues me. 








Vintage Woven Picnic Basket with Pie Shelf Insert & Dishes, $36
#plotzing. I have wanted a picnic set like this for years. Years. And to know that this entire set is only $36 makes me so angry that I'm on a budget. I cannot explain the obsession I have with these sets, other than that I adore the baskets and I love that there's actual dishes rather than paper plates, silverware and cups. I think this is the perfect picnic set and the only thing missing is the red checkered sheet. I feel like the chances are high that I honestly could die if I don't get my hands on one of these in the near future. 








Rare Vintage 2.52ctw Garnet & Diamond Halo Ring, $59.59
I decided to close out this post on a different note as I've been eyeballing some possibilities for a new ring, then I came across this gem. Literally. This vintage ring (I couldn't find a date) was acquired at an estate sale and I think it's positively stunning. On a more personal note, I've been in the market for a new promise ring to myself and that's why I was eyeballing new potential rings. I don't talk about my decision to have one very often as many people usually have something judgmental or condescending to say, but I saw this ring, thought it was gorgeous and that it would look great on my bony yet tanned ring finger. It was too beautiful not to feature. And how about the price too, right?



I guess that brings this month's eBay Files to a close. I have to admit that this was different from my usual searches of fashion and shoes, which end up frustrating the hell out of me, and I was able to get this post done much more quickly, which is why it's posting on time. lol I haven't forgotten about my missing Files posts, but I was never really able to get back in the swing of things after the sinus infection from hell last month. This week I'll be playing catch-up, so those will be posted soon. I hope you liked this edition of posts; it was a lot of fun for me to do and got me seriously thinking about what theme or style of decor I'd have in my home. Do any of you own any vintage furniture? Where'd you get it? And if you have anyone in mind who has a vintage-themed eBay shop, pass their shop name along so I can feature them next month!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment