Wednesday, March 12, 2014

From the Pinterest Files....

It's the 2nd Wednesday of the month, so it's time to return to Pinterest! I have a small confession to make. Well two, actually. Firstly, I haven't actually been on Pinterest lately; I've been pinning things but I haven't visited the site. Secondly, when I think of Pinterest these days I'm not exactly thinking of vintage. I've got a rapidly growing spring cleaning list and have been looking for some DIY projects for my room, so I haven't been on my vintage Pin game lately at all. I'm not really looking for anything involving the month of festival this week, so this post will probably be its normal random rainbow, this time with Pins since I usually feature Boards and wanted to do something different this time. Enjoy! 

So clearly, this is from my ATV board, in case you couldn't see my grinning mug at the bottom of the widget. LOL I needed somewhere to start this post and since I haven't actually been on my ATV board in awhile I said, well what the hell, let's kill two birds with one stone. My neglect of my boards when I'm not pinning even more stuff on them brings me to this sweet dress that I'd forgotten I'd pinned goodness knows how long ago. It sings spring to me, it's an acceptable length for business or pleasure, and I think it has enough versatility to be worn with pumps or flats. I've tripped over air so I have to make sure that my fashion choices can be worn well with flats. I don't want to sacrifice glamour, though, so said versatility is very important to me. lol 
My little brother's girlfriend just had my niece a couple of months ago, and if you're familiar with being in the trenches of the copious amounts of spit-up, wipes and sometimes traumatizing diaper changes that come with taking care of a newborn, then you know that for one reason or another (usually either the spit-up or diaper change as referenced above lol), that pile of dirty baby clothes ends up growing rather fast. That brings me to this adorable children's vintage clothes hamper. I want to say that I had a hamper similar to this, but don't quote me. I think this would be so cute for my niece and it looks to be pretty unisex in appearance, so any kids that come afterward could use it too. 
I like looking at photos of vintage homes and how various rooms have changed in design since the '40s and '50s. I usually don't go for individual vintage kitchen pieces, mainly because I love me some modern appliances and also because I just find myself unsure of how to apply them in my own space. I like looking at them, but I never seriously considered owning any. But I saw this vintage range and oven and fell in love with it. For one, it's cute. Two, I want to find out what all the knobs and things do. lol Third, it's just so simple and unimposing. I'm in love with it.  
Yes, I went back to my own board for this one. lol Anyway, if you've been with me and ATV for awhile, then you know the obsession I have with old phones. If you didn't know, now you know. I love old phones, especially the ones in the rotary style. I'd love to hang this up in the walkway of my house as a prop piece....and invite people to put their change in and try to use it. Hey, times are hard and you never know when you'll need the change. Don't you dare judge me. LOL I kid. Well not really, I'd definitely put this up in my house, and I'd definitely see who really put their change in there...but I'd give it back. I'm a prankster, not a thief. lol 
This was another of those "must share" Pins for me. There's something so beautiful, yet sort of haunting, yet delicate about this picture to me that I didn't see how I couldn't put it on here. Maybe it's the dinginess of the items, maybe it's the tattered condition they seem to be in. I agree with the pinner though; I want the story of how these items got to that state. In terms of what's actually in the picture though, hello parasol. I love me a good lace parasol and would love to have one in my life along with a pair of matching gloves. They remind me of a time when you didn't go out without wearing gloves, and you rarely went out without some kind of bonnet or parasol. 
I remember seeing this when I was looking for DIY projects for my room, and I liked it for two reasons. Firstly, because I think it's a great way to re-purpose a vintage piece of equipment that might not be sturdy enough for its original purpose, and secondly because I just think it's a quirky way to personalize your space and how you organize your things. I like a lot of vintage luggage, but the authentic pieces aren't always the sturdiest anymore. There's a part of me that doesn't want to ruin the piece by putting holes in it especially if its a piece that's pretty old and still in good shape for the most part, but I also like the concept of re-purposing something and still showing it off, but in a different way. I also kinda dig the idea of using luggage as furniture pieces (and storage if you're disorganized like I am and need hiding places for all yo' junk).
Oh mylanta. Words cannot properly express how much I love this sign. I love looking at signs and banners like this. Actually, the new logo and page header for ATV is quite similar to this one. I did some research back when I was trying to figure out what I wanted the logo and things to look like, when I remembered that many old shops and things had signs like this and how much I liked them. And with that, the new concept for ATV's logo was born. I'd like these in my house as well. I think they bring a little throwback magic and a touch of class to whatever room they adorn. 
I wanted to include this because I thought it'd be helpful for those of you trying to find vintage furniture without having to look outside your local area or break your budget. Using "vintage" in the 'For Sale' section of my local Craigslist pulled up more promising results than the search I did using 'deco,' but that's just my local area. Try these out in your area and see if they work for you!
Speaking of furniture though, how positively amazeballs is this piece, right?! The link for the photo unfortunately doesn't go to any site so I don't know anything else about this piece beyond what I can see, but it is gorgeous and then some. It looks like something that Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette would have, but it's described on Pinterest as being Victorian inspired. The two eras are distinctly different, but truth is who knows. There's no site to give any additional information. I can see it fitting in either time period. What do you think?
I thought I'd close this out with something I don't often feature on here, burlesque. You'll be seeing it soon as there's a Vintage Spotlight partially on this subject in the wings, but as of completed posts I haven't really mentioned it. How glamorous does that dancer look? Everything about this entire outfit is so dramatic, from the train, which has to be at least 20 feet, to the feather atop her headpiece, which I'm estimating to be a good 3-4 feet in height. The jewelry, the bodice part of the dress, and the simple background just play up the massive drama, glamour and sexiness at the top and the bottom. I wish I knew the time this photo was from. 
Well that wraps up this month's edition of the Pinterest Files; it was fun...if not a little challenging this time around...to find Pins that I really liked and wanted to put up here. This was definitely one of my more random Files posts, but I found so many fun boards and pins by going in without a preset idea of what I wanted to feature. I might do it this way more often. When there's no set theme, I don't have to narrow down what I look for or include. What'd you think of this week's Pins, were you able to find a Pin or Pinner for your own boards?
See ya next week, 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment