Wednesday, January 8, 2014

From the eBay Files....


This is my first edition in the eBay section of the "From the ... Files" and it was actually a little difficult for me to find things on there that I actually liked. Much of it that came up for the search I performed were repros and I was trying to find authentic vintage this time around. I finally found some goodies though, so let's open this week's file! 
*Mandy's note: The links for the sellers in the description will take you directly to their stores. Click the photo to go to the individual listing for that item.*


http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50s-Modern-Classic-MCM-Pink-Plaid-Cotton-Shirtwaisted-Day-Dress-NWOT-M-/161188753368?pt=Vintage_Women_s_Clothing&hash=item2587992fd8
Vintage '50s Modern Shirtwaisted
Day Dress, $29.99
I know this day dress doesn't look like much, but that's actually exactly why I like it. It usually has to be some kind of special occasion to get me in a dress because they take on a more formal feel for me. I normally wear pants or leggings; I don't think I even own a casual skirt. I think this  dress being sold by wearitsatvintage is a nice example of something that is both casual and still gives the femininity that you usually get from a dress. It's a lighter material so I think I'd still be comfy, and I can still get my errands done and whatever else I need to do throughout the day without feeling like I overdressed. I kind of miss the days where women normally wear dresses; I think if it was still that kind of time, wearing dresses wouldn't feel so foreign to me now. I love dresses, but I'm so used to jeans that I feel overdressed when I wear them and it's not a special occasion. 
Vintage Navy Blue New Look Full
Sweeping Skirt Dress, $32
I started plotzing when I saw this dress and then I saw that it too was in the wearisitvintage shop. I really love the authentic look of the dress; it reminds me of dresses that I've seen in countless 40s and 50s movies. All it's missing are some t-strap shoes and a fascinator. I love the simplicity in the design as well; it's practically a blank canvas that you can do so much with in terms of accessories. I like the neckline as well; it fits right in with the older theme of wearing brooches all the time. That's a perfect neckline for a brooch if I ever saw one. I also like the sleeve length. I'm not overly crazy about 3/4 length sleeves so this slightly higher length is perfect.
Vintage Mohair Italian Turtleneck
Sweater, $12.62
I have a thing for turtlenecks. I also have a thing for really soft textured turtlenecks. This one is from the '60s and sold by alanmandcindys. I like how cozy and warm this sweater looks, and I really like the coloring. It reminds me of furniture from the 60s and 70s, which I also liked. lol I'm not that crazy about the sleeve length, but my body type is different from the model's so it might fit me differently. I really like the big neck on this sweater as well, one thing I don't like about turtlenecks is when it's extra tight because then I feel like I'm choking. This is a bit looser and much more comfortable.
*Update: This item has since been sold, so the owners have removed the main photo from the listing; you'll have to click the photo to see the thumbnail.*
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50s-Cashmere-Cardigan-Sweater-Mink-Fur-Collar-Maurice-Bruder-M-/301056898522?pt=Vintage_Women_s_Clothing&hash=item461863b5da
Vintage '50s Cashmere Cardigan
with Mink Fur Collar, $24.99
I don't like that the collar of this sweater is real mink (I don't do real furs at all) but I know that real fur was definitely in at this time, so there's not much I can do about that part. I think it's a gorgeous sweater, and the outfit that the seller, eekoo909, chose to fit the mannequin with underneath the cardigan shows just how well it would look with a fitted pencil skirt or wiggle dress. The cardigan ends right at the curve of the hips, which I think gives a really feminine silhouette. I think this cardigan would also be pretty easy to DIY if you didn't want to wear real fur, so even if you prefer not to have the authentic cardigan it wouldn't be hard at all to create yourself. 
40s Nude Lace Cocktail Dress, $68
This frock would have been perfect for the holidays, no? I think there's something really simple but still very elegant about it. It's not overly form fitting so you'll be comfortable, and it's right in the middle in terms of formality--you can wear a fancier cardigan over it just as easily as you could wear a full throwback fur (faux of course) coat. I love the pale coloring of the dress and the fabric band across the waist. This gem is sold by Falcon Vintage and I think I'll be going to peruse their shop as soon as I'm done with this post. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50s-Elegant-Illusion-Cotton-Black-Lace-Cocktail-Party-Dress-/141157643807?pt=Vintage_Women_s_Clothing&hash=item20dda6b61f
50s Elegant Illusion Black Lace Cocktail Party Dress, $225
Speaking of the holidays, this is another fitting cocktail dress that I would have worn the hell out of had I owned it for this past holiday season. I didn't really do too much and was sick for the last part of them, but hell..I would have made up a party..a BYOF and BYOB party lol..just so I could wear this dress. I love the lace, love the swing bottom, and even though I usually don't care for tops with that neckline it makes sense on this dress. Thankfully, TX holidays typically aren't too frigid and I could easily get away with wearing a peacoat or small thick jacket with this dress and still look good. I hate when good dresses have to hide underneath ugly outerwear because it's cold. I think this is fun, the pink underneath the lace isn't one of the typical Christmas reds or greens, and it's still sexy without being overtly so. Redhouse Vintage is the seller of this dress.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lovely-1950s-Vintage-BRIDAL-HEADPIECE-Lace-Tulle-Faux-Pearls-/191023203655?pt=Vintage_Women_s_Clothing&hash=item2c79dec547
1950s Lace & Tulle Vintage Bridal Headpiece w/Faux Pearls,
$35
In addition to turtlenecks and smoking jackets, I also have a thing for hair accessories. Hair flowers, bows, beanies, fascinators, hair pins, whatever. I think they can bring some individuality to any outfit. That's what brings me to this veil that mariescupboard has for sale. This is definitely a vintage veil; nobody has the cap-style veils anymore, which I think is a bridal crime. I think these are so cute and remove the modern-day fear of your veil coming off. I don't think that they're good for every head/face shape, but I do think that they are adorable and very elegant when done properly. I love the beading on the cap as well as the design; it doesn't look too thick or heavy; it goes very well with what most brides want in a dress. 
Gothic Victorian Fantasy Top, $52.50
Remember the dress that the evil stepmother had on in Cinderella? For some reason the neckline of this top reminds me of that dress. Anyway, I find these tops, sold by gothicrockabilly, to be very unique, and I do see the hints of Gothic, Victorian and steampunk in these tops. They have a bit of a regal feel to them, if that makes any sense. Maybe it's the structure of the neckline and shoulders, I don't know. They do resemble a slim Victorian-style dress with the way they're structured. What I do know is that I love them and would love to wear them. Other than maybe a cameo or a statement ring, I wouldn't want to do too much with this piece; I'd prefer to let it be the statement by itself. 
Vintage '70s Glitter Striped Sweater, $42.25
I am almost positive that I was a Solid Gold dancer in the '70s in a past life. Or a go-go dancer. I was in a '70s nightclub on a regular basis in a past life. There. Anyway, I love all the glitzy, glittery disco-type stuff that I see in photos and for sale in different vintage-themed shops. So I love this sweater that froggyluvr2005 has for sale. It's glittery, it's colorful, it has stripes, and I'd wear the hell out of it. Nothing more to say, really. You can wear this with a pair of nice slacks and a button-down underneath the sweater, you can wear it without the button-down and just wear the slacks, or you can wear it with jeans. I like that it's versatile. Did I mention it has glitter? 
I've had my eyes peeled for a pair of 1970s high-waisted, bellbottom jeans, preferably Levi's, for about 5 years now. They're tight all through the thighs, then flare out a little bit at the knees. I can picture them in my head. lol I looked on eBay for them and didn't find any that I liked enough so the last little bit of this week's finds are not fashion-related. In my devastation, I stopped looking at fashion entirely. Just kidding, I got bored. LOL
Empire Regency Sofa, $395
This Regency-style sofa by vintagewayfurniture is gorg, if you ask me. I love the wood finish; I usually prefer darker wood finishes on furniture and I think the darker color here really brings out the light pattern of the cushions. This wouldn't be something you just let people plop on; how many of you were raised with parents/grandparents who had two living rooms? They had the regular living room, where everyone hung out, then they had the other one that looked like some kind of old museum with all the furniture covered in plastic. LOL This sofa belongs in the plastic-covered room. It's not too fussy, not too simple, but still reeks of some formality and proper posture. lol I really dig it. 
3-pc Vintage Italian Nesting Tables, $295
It has been years...and I mean double digit years...since I have seen one of these. This 3-pc set of nesting tables are also being sold by vintagewayfurniture; this is a really good shop to find authentic vintage pieces that you probably haven't seen in years. I don't remember where I was, but I remember seeing one of these and thinking it was beyond the stars cool. This particular set is Italian, has glass plating on the tops and you can definitely tell that these are real pieces from around the 1950s by the coloring and detailing. I positively adore these tables. 
Antique 19th Century Corner Chair, $365
This corner chair is also sold by vintagewayfurniture (seriously, go look at their shop) and is yet another piece that I haven't seen in aaaaages. I've only seen corner chairs a handful of times, and they were all in the plastic-covered mausoleum I mentioned above. I think they're really simple, again I really love the chosen finish for the wood, and I just like corner chairs. I wish a corner chair had been in my house for all the times I was put in the corner as a kid. It would have been nice and I (and my legs) would have appreciated it immensely. LOL
Bronze Steampunk Pendant Chain Pocket Watch, $2.35
I'm positive that this is a repro pocket watch, but I still like that it was done in steampunk style. I'm a big fan of authentic and repro steampunk items, and the jewelry inspired by that time period always blows my mind. This watch is sold by digitalzone88. I also love that this watch is so cheap, so you can have something affordable that gives you the vibes of that style at the same time. I'm not really a pocket watch gal myself, but I'd wear it as a pendant. I really really love the detailing on the outside of the watch; I think that's actually my favorite part. I don't even care if it can tell time. LOL


And that concludes this week's files. It was difficult at first, but once I found my groove I had a really good time finding things that I liked. I also found some really good shops that I can go back to next time that the eBay files come back around. I've never gone to eBay to find vintage things before, so this ended up being a lot of fun. I got to find a lot of authentic pieces, which was really cool because most of the vintage things I look at now, especially in terms of fashion, are reproductions. I hope you enjoyed the links I showed you, don't forget to come back next Wednesday when I tackle Pinterest!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment