Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Under the Stars Day 12: Catherine Deneuve

Day 12 of Summer Under the Stars belongs to Catherine Deneuve. It's Day 12 already?
I'm growing rather tired of myself because I find that I'm repeating the first sentence over and over again. Guess this is a time for more learning than I assumed, because yet again I do not know much about Catherine Deneuve other than that she was a big deal during the '60s and has worked consistently in both French and American films since then. It's not hard to see part of the reason why she was so popular; she was gorgeous. Without going into fangirl mode, she has a different sort of face than what was out in the decades before her and I'm sure this added onto her appeal as the face of cinema began to change. I don't know much about the films we'll be seeing today, but I believe I picked a goodie for today's Daily Cinema. 

          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's movies: (all times listed in EST)
6AM: Le Petit Poucet
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

7:45AM: Repulsion
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

9:45AM: Mississippi Mermaid
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon (currently unavailable)

12PM: Un Flic
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

 2PM: Le Sauvage
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

4PM: The Last Metro
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

6:15PM: I’m Going Home
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

8PM: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon (currently unavailable)

10PM: Tristana
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

12AM: My Favorite Season
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

2:15AM: Belle de jour
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon

4:15AM: The Hunger
Netflix | Vudu | Amazon


          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Cinema Selection: Belle de jour
I chose this because I really liked the concept of the film. Belle de jour stars Deneuve as a housewife who decides that she needs something to do with her afternoons, so she becomes a prostitute. What a way to kill some time while the hubby's at work, huh? LOL I'm intrigued and have so many questions that I hope the film answers. Does this create a change in her? The synopsis describes her initially as being frigid, so does being in such a scantilly-clad environment help free her from that? What makes her choose prostitution of all things to do during the afternoon? Is this simply a way to find something to do, is it a release for boredom in her life, are her and the hubby pressed for cash? Let's see how many of these I can get answered.

Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796

*If you've been tuning in daily or paying attention on Twitter, then I'm sure you've figured out by now that TCM's ongoing hashtag is the star's last name with TCM at the end, so if you've gotten that far then you already know today's tag is #DeneuveTCM. You know the usual suspects; #SUTS, #TCMSummer and #atvdailycinema when we get to it!*

No comments:

Post a Comment