Monday, January 27, 2014

TNT Preview: The Unknown/The Best of Everything/What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Our last TNT for the month falls on my birthday!! So because I'm special...and a loser so I'll probably be at home anyway...I wanted to do ATV's first(?) TNT Trifecta! I also wanted to continue my theme of using alliteration. Anyway, this week there are three really good movies to choose from. Actually, it looks like it'll be a good day of movie viewing period, which is why I'm glad I looked at this beforehand so I could be sure to be at home. lol 
As for Thursday's choices, I can't remember if What Ever Happened? was one of the films profiled during Bette Davis's day for SUTS, but I didn't get to watch it. I keep hearing all of these great things about it so I'm ready to see what it's about. I listed The Unknown because I'm a dork and thought it was really cool that the first and last TNT's of the month had the same name. The Best of Everything is only there because it's in the 8pm time slot which makes it our actual TNT. lmao
Moving on! The first movie is 1946's The Unknown
I really want to see this movie because I read TCM's brief synopsis of the film and it sounds intriguing; it set my overactive imagination on fire so now I have to see how it plays out. This movie is about a woman suffering from amnesia who hires two detectives to help her stay alive long enough for her to claim her inheritance. She's also got a cray cray mama to deal with, so I'll assume that's part of the reason she asks these detectives to help keep her alive? I believe this is the trailer. 
Directly afterward, our actual TNT, the 1959 romance The Best of Everything, will be on.
This movie focuses on three women, co-workers and roomies, who seek success and love in the New York publishing scene. Joan plays an executive in the publishing firm where I am guessing the girls work. Color me cray but I sort of think she might have made a great Miranda Priestly had The Devil Wears Prada been made back then. Most of the movies I've seen Joan in were hard-hitting stuff (to me, anyway but what do I know) so even though this isn't a comedy, it's a lighter concept. I couldn't seem to find a good trailer for this movie.
Finally, we have 1962's classic What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
This stars Joan alongside the incomparable Bette Davis as two aging starlet sisters, way past their prime, who live together in a decrepit Hollywood mansion. Lifelong jealousies between the sisters turns into something like hatred on the part of one of the sisters, and she torments the other relentlessly. I don't want to read anymore of the synopsis because I don't want to spoil the excitement. So if you've seen this movie, don't tell me anything about it! Here's a trailer:
So if you have nothing to do on Thursday and wouldn't mind keeping me company on my designated date of birth LOL, feel free to join me for the first TNT Trifecta. The Unknown comes on at 6:45pm EST, The Best of Everything at 8pm, and What Happened to Baby Jane to finish us off at 10:15pm. 
Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796
The Unknown: Netflix | Vudu (purchase only) | Amazon Instant 
The Best of Everything: Netflix | Vudu | Amazon Instant
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?: Netflix | Vudu | Amazon Instant ($2.99/rent, $9.99/purchase) | YouTube $1.99 (rent/purchase)
See you on Thursday, 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment