Wednesday, January 22, 2014

From the Etsy Files....

I always have a lot of fun when it's time to peruse Etsy again. Sometimes I wish I had a limitless bank account so I could hire one of these talented folks to make me some custom junk, and other times I wish I was more creative so I could have a shop and be one of those talented folks. Unfortunately, I'm neither talented nor financially stable, so I'm here making this post. LOL But I digress. Here are the treats I've rounded up this week. I'm trying to make sure that I feature different shops from my last Etsy post and not feature the same shop more than within the same post, but forgive me if I end up having repeat offenders. Enjoy!



Vintage 1930s Wedding Dress w/Pot Leaf Embroidery,
$375
Two notes of kudos for this picture here. Firstly for that dress. Can you believe this is a wedding dress? I think it embodies the more casual side to the Art Deco/formal style that we usually see from '20s and '30s era clothing and I like that. Secondly, how bout that mannequin, right? lol I just love it. On another note, I was wondering if those were pot leaves adorning the dress and upon further investigation of the name of this dress, I discovered that they were indeed good ol' ganja leaves. Live and let live, I guess. lol Anyway, this beaut here is being sold by labellevintage. The color in the photo doesn't quite do the dress justice; it's actually a peach shade. I don't smoke Mary Jane and I wouldn't wear this to a wedding....but I'd wear it somewhere. lol It's got a very breezy, fun sort of appeal to it that I like. 







Vintage Polka Dot Dress, $40
This cute little number comes courtesy of one of my Twitter followers, actually. She has an Etsy shop called Vintage Hag Clothing, and one day a couple of weeks ago while I was going through my hordes and hordes of eager followers (and when I say hordes and hordes of eager followers, I mean 7--I'd lost a follower and was trying to figure out who it was LOL) I saw that she had a shop, so I went to check it out and came across this fab dress. It was actually between this dress and a gawgeous kimono, but I had to go with the dress. With spring on the way, I just thought this would look so cute with a pair of flats or wedges. I love everything about this dress. It has dots, it's a light material, I love the collar and the way that the arms are cut out. It's not just a tank styled cut, but it's not a halter cut either. If only I was a size 8. lol 









Vintage Black Wood Gothic Candelabra,
$25.80
The first thing that I thought when I saw this candelabra was, "Ooh Halloween!" It has a very gothic Victorian feel to it, which I am in love with. I'm a big fan of gothic Victorian inspired clothing and interior accents and this looks like it'd fit right in in those dark castles and homes I've seen...and imagined...over time. This wood candelabra, by WKayVintage, has been repainted but I honestly think the black suits it better than a regular wood color. I have a disco queen in me somewhere so a part of me feels it might be a touch too plain and could use some glitter, but otherwise all it needs is a good glossy finish for me and I'll be fine. I love vintage inspired candelabras. 











http://www.etsy.com/listing/168793893/vintage-bingo-cards-black-white-numbers?ref=br_feed_43&br_feed_tlp=vintage-category
Vintage 1950s Milton Bradley Bingo Cards, $5
Bingo! This is by far one of my all-time favorite games, and I love that these are authentic cards. I would laminate them so they wouldn't get damaged, then play til the cows came home. I'm convinced that there's a little old lady waiting for me to let her out, fanny pack, bejeweled trucker hat and all. I really like looking at older board games and stuff, so I was super thrilled to see these. absenceofcolor is the lucky owner of these cards, and the price is pretty hard to beat for some authentic 1950's bingo cards, if you ask me. 









http://www.etsy.com/listing/98877237/vintage-1950s-1960s-shift-dress?ref=br_feed_33&br_feed_tlp=vintage-category
Vintage 1950s/1960s Shift Dress,
$23
Another dress that I'm in love with. This is a shift dress from the '50s, but it looks like it could have been made in the '60s as well. You'll have to click the photo so you can go to the page and see the pattern close up, but it's a multi-colored woven cotton in a print that sort of reminds me of a houndstooth pattern. It has a cute little bow tie around the neck and as you can see, has a more formfitting shape. I think this is pretty versatile in that the pattern and style of the dress isn't too stuffy and you could dress it up or down, which I like. It seems like more of a '60s sort of dress to me, but I don't really care about when it was made. I just like it. lol FaithfulinMyFashion has this dress for sale and it's decently priced for being an authentic piece. It has a few little snags, but nothing too serious that can't be fixed with a little TLC. 









1950s Vintage French Fry Potato Cutter,
$15
Okay, so remember that bit I said at the top about trying not to have repeat offenders? I sorta failed. This potato cutter is being sold by Atomic Putz, which I have not featured as of yet...however, the store belongs to the same person who owns the Vintage Hag garment I featured a few photos above. So it's a repeat offender, but only kinda. Anyway, I didn't know much about potato cutters until I was watching Pioneer Woman last week sometime and this was one of the contraptions she pulled out. I am notoriously horrible with cutting potatoes and consistently fail at keeping my fingers nick-free while attempting to peel or slice one. Go figure, I can cook a meal that takes hours to prepare and do it quite well if I say so myself, I know my way around a grill and even assembled my own by myself...but I can't peel, cut or cook a potato without getting war wounds. smh This nifty number would definitely come in handy for me and also, I just like kitchen appliances. I envision my kitchen counters being cluttered with different contraptions and appliances I only use some of the time because you never know when you'll need it, so why not? If it hasn't yet become clear, I'm sort of a pack rat.
 





White Lace '50s Wedding or Prom Gown,
$500
This is an authentic piece from the '50s. I know the photos don't do it justice. This is a soft white lace dress with tulle netting and a shelf-styled bust, with either a pale green or gray bow underneath. It's got a couple of stains, but the seller, TheEnchantedAttic, mentions that the bow can be removed, bleached or dyed so it's not an insurmountable problem. It's not overly detailed or busy, it's simple, elegant, beautiful and pretty classic in the silhouette it creates. It's also not too fussy and unless you're as short as I am, it doesn't look like you'll be tripping over it all night if you were to wear it. The lace makes the dress for me. Unfortunately, unless you're a 32" in the bust and 22" in the waist, you won't be getting into this dress. Neither will I. Fo shame. 










http://www.etsy.com/listing/174514227/1920s-art-deco-mirror?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=1920s&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all
1920s Art Deco Mirror, $45
VintageMementos has this amazing mirror for sale, and for something that's almost 100 years old, I'm surprised that it isn't listed at a higher price. I would love to have a piece this classic in my house. I wouldn't try to revise or update it at all; I'd leave it just the way it was. How many people can say they have a mirror that's nearly 100 years old? It speaks a lot for how the previous owners took care of this mirror and for the lasting quality the maker had when it was created that it's still around now, with only minor damage. Other than a few dings on the sides and paint chips over time, the frame is still in awesome condition. I wish there were pictures of the mirror hanging on the wall, but I can see enough of it like this. It's beautiful. 











Vintage Ensign Carbine #4 Folding Bellow Camera, $118.52
I believe I have mentioned before that I love vintage photography equipment and how the photos look but if I haven't, I love old photography equipment. lol I like looking at older photographs and sure, they're not as clear as the HD, Photoshopped masteries we have today, but there's something about them that I adore. I wish I knew how the seller, Vuntage, got their hands on this gem. This camera is from 1927 and other than a missing screw and a small hole in the bellow, it's still in excellent condition. 













http://www.etsy.com/listing/174291042/vintage-lipstick-holder-i-w-rice-vanity?ref=sr_gallery_44&ga_search_query=vanity&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=all
Vintage Vanity Lipstick Holder, $16
This is a vintage lipstick holder, but I'd probably use it for my smaller makeup brushes if I had a vanity to set this on. I like the simple yet feminine look to the holder, and I also like that it can be repurposed. I have more than three lipsticks, I have more than three favorite lipsticks, and I personally just think makeup brushes would look better in the holes. I don't have a vanity at the moment so this would probably collect dust, but a girl can dream. lol CherryPrairie is the seller of this item, so whoever does get to buy this holder is a lucky duck. 












Vintage Hollywood Regency Vanity Swivel Chair, $198
Speaking of vanity things, I saw this chair from JasperKaneDesigns and I had to feature it and give it a permanent link or I'd end up forgetting about it. lol I guess this isn't much to look at for many, but to me it's a beaut. I love the simple coloring and detail on the cushion, I like the back of the chair because it reminds me of both wicker (which reminds me of Golden Girls lol) and vintage chairs with this style of backing. I also like it because it swivels and when I'm doing my makeup, I usually have to turn this way and that because I'm nearly blind and very disorganized lol, so I need an accommodating chair. I can't explain it, but I love this chair. 






I'm trying hard to find a vanity that I like. Much like the '70s Levi's I described to you a couple of weeks ago, I can picture this vanity in my head but I probably can't describe it for beans. I'll try anyway. It has three small drawers on either side, with a middle that curves inward, for pushing the vanity chair into, with a large mirror. I have terrible eyesight and usually have to be really close to my mirror when applying my makeup, so I need a vanity that dips inward in the middle so I can scoot in there and do my makeup. I was originally looking for something that had the dressing room style vanity lights going around the mirror, but no such luck yet. Le sigh. 


A few extras:
I don't usually include just links in my "From the ... Files" posts, but I had to this time. If I could put a few small thumbnails in a little row, I would, but I don't think I can do that with Blogger yet. There are a few shops that I think have so many cool and rare items that I had to put them here in case someone wanted to check them out. 
The Enchanted Attic--I found this shop because I was originally looking for maxi dresses and saw that this shop had a great '70s Egyptian inspired dress. After awhile I realized it probably wasn't my style, but I went to look around the shop anyway and fell in love. I saw so many pieces I wanted to feature on here that I decided to just link the entire shop. There are many vintage pieces as well as a few repros that I came across, one of which was an 1860s inspired Victorian gown that I fell in love with. I saw an authentic flapper dress, several rare Playboy-style drawings, and something from pretty much every decade over the past 90 years. I love her shop. Love it. 
Midnight Flight--I had to feature this shop because of the diversity that it has. Not only are different types of clothing items in this shop, different sizes and different eras of vintage are also present. Long story short, there's a little something in there for mostly everyone. A consistent thing within the shop is that the garments are fun, free, sexy, and feminine. New additions are added to the shop weekly, and the prices aren't too bad. 
Jasper Kane Designs--This is the seller of the vanity chair I featured above, but after looking at more of the items in the shop I wanted to put it up here. The shop specializes in antiques and vintage home decor, and if I was in the market for interior stuff, I'd want to drain some of my resources on this shop. My favorites so far have been the vanity chair above, many of the mid-century chair sets, and this metal and lucite calendar. 

And that brings this edition of From the Etsy Files to a close. I don't often remember to look through Etsy in my off time because I'm looking at other things and when I'm prepping my other "From the ... Files" posts I have to purposely stay away from it so that I don't end up featuring a shop from there, but when it is time to do my Etsy posts I get sucked in for hours. It's becoming a problem, just like my ongoing love affair with Pinterest. 
Speaking of Pin Paradise, I haven't forgotten about last week's Pinterest files. It's just been a bitch and a half for me to get the individual Pins in the post, even after following multiple instructions from different sites. So after a lot of contemplating (read: whining and yelling), I finally just walked away from it for a minute so I could get my temper in check. It would inconvenience me greatly if I threw my laptop out of my window, so I took a few minutes to reflect (read: whine, but away from the computer) about why this might not be working correctly. I'm not sure if my terrible, no-good Internet may have something to do with why the codes won't properly embed but I've had this problem when embedding and linking photos because of the 'Net, so I'll test that theory out this weekend. But I haven't forgotten about it. From the Amazon Files will be right on time on Wednesday. I really hope you've enjoyed these posts so far, they've been a lot of fun to put together!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment