Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TNT Preview: The Music Man

How cool that our first TNT of July falls on Independence Day! This week's TNT is 1962's The Music Man, a musical starring Robert Preston, Shirley Jones and Buddy Hackett about a con man who arrives in a small American town trying to hack musical instruments and band uniforms. This movie also has some cool points by being selected for preservation in the US National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for its cultural, aesthetic, or historical significance.
The first time I'd seen Robert Preston was in Victor/Victoria, one of my all-time favorite movies,  as Toddy, Victoria's gay roomie. I just loved him to pieces and his scenes were easily some of my favorites throughout the film. I haven't seen him in anything else, so I'd like to see what he could do with material that wasn't quite as campy as V/V. He's pretty much the only name I recognize through their work; I had heard of Shirley Jones but I wasn't too familiar with her work and The Partridges wasn't really my show; I was always more of a Brady Bunch gal myself. The Partridges ended way before I was born and they never re-aired the show on Nick at Nite, so I never really got the chance to see some of the earlier things she had done. I wasn't a big fan of Carousel so here's hoping I like this one a little better. Here's the trailer:
Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796
Unavailable on Netflix's Instant Queue
Available for rent from Vudu for $2.99SD /$3.99HD /$4.99HDX
Available for rent from Amazon for $2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment