Monday, April 15, 2013

TNT Double Feature Preview: Murder at the Gallop/Carousel

And now for this month's second TNT Double Feature, again I couldn't make up my mind so I chose both. This time it's a toss up between 1963's Murder at the Gallop and 1956's Carousel. Let's get into the former first. Murder at the Gallop stars Margaret Rutherford, Charles Tingwell and Stringer Davis in a film adaptation of the Agatha Christie novel After The Funeral, so you know there's obviously some murder (hence the title, .:sarcasm:.) and plot twists galore if you're familiar with Miss Christie's books. I included this in our TNT for Thursday because I love Agatha Christie novels, and this helps me accomplish a side goal of watching movies based upon her books.
As opposed to famed sleuth Hercule Poirot, who the book features in the part of the detective, the movie adaptation centers around another of her now infamous crimebusters, the amateur detective Miss Marple. According to the Wiki, the suspense in the book is lightened up a bit for the film. I'm a Poirot fan myself, so it did bother me a little to find out that originally this story was one of his and he'd been replaced with Miss Marple, but I guess now's a good a time as any to introduce myself to her work. My loyalty is with Poirot though. LOL Here's the trailer:
Murder at the Gallop will be on this Thursday at 6pm EST on TCM; check below for channel listings!

In the regular TNT slot is Carousel, a 1956 movie starring Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones as a young couple who meet and later fall in love, but are confronted with an array of complications along the way.
I've never heard of Gordon McRae and I've only seen Shirley Jones in her later roles, so I was interested to see some of her earlier work. This particular movie is based off of a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical of the same name, which was originally based off of a musical play. I'm not normally too keen on musicals because they aren't really my thing, but the couple of musicals I have watched weren't that bad. It's a high bar to reach, however, when the only musical I'd seen before all of this was Grease. LOL I can't find a trailer for the movie, but this is what the musical looks like on stage:
Carousel comes on in its regular TNT timeslot of 8pm EST Thursday on TCM!

Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796
Both are available on Netflix's DVD subscription service
Murder at the Gallop can be rented from Amazon's Instant Video for $2.99/Carousel can be bought, not rented, for $9.99
MATG can be rented from Vudu for $2.99 SD/$3.99 HD/$4.99 HDX
Carousel can be purchased, not rented, from Vudu for $9.99 SD/$15.99 HD & HDX

Join me for this week's Double Feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment