Wednesday, May 4, 2016

From the eBay Files...

Hi! This month I wanted to explore a bit of the vintage subculture that I have never really given any attention to but always wanted to do, and that was the rockabilly movement. Pinups and rockabilly were my first bit of exposure to vintage, and I didn't fully understand what they were but I wanted to learn more about them. This month we'll be exploring the pinup/rockabilly sector and its alternatives, as the theme for this month is "Alternative Pinup." So for our eBay File this month, I wanted to try and find some alternative fashion and books that explore these facets of the subculture. Let's get started!

Hell Bunny Black Widow Pin-up Dress, $29.99

I want to say I came across this dress back in October when I was looking for Halloween-themed fashion. I don't know that I'd wear this any other time of the year, but I still think its cute and a good representative of alternative pinup fashion. This particular dress is adorned with a black widow and cobweb print, and I like that it's a smaller print rather than one with big ass spiders everywhere. lol 








The Cramps Greatest Hits, $18







Voodoo Vixen Floral Wiggle Dress, $34.99

I love this dress, but don't know that I'd ever have the confidence to wear it and do it justice. This is a beautiful floral halter top wiggle dress and I really dig the solid print on the chest. It breaks up the floral print a little bit and draws the eye to the chest (a great decision if you've got boulders to show instead of pebbles like yours truly here LOL). This is a dress that I struggled with classifying as specifically rockabilly but ultimately decided to include. For those of you familiar with alternative pinup clothing, how would you classify this dress? 








The Razorbacks,
"More Love Less Attitude" LP (1986), $8








Hell Bunny Tattoo Skulls Dress, $39.99
Now this dress I'd wear any time of the year. It manages to be vintage, badass and unique all at the same time. As with most vintage dresses I like, I appreciate that the print has blocks of single color dispersed throughout. I can't tell if this would be a high or low V-neck, but I still like it. This would look so pretty with a petticoat underneath. Probably not a full one, but one that gives the bottom half the twirly circle skirt effect that I love so much. 







Get Hot or Go Home RCA Vintage Rockabilly Hits from '56-'59, $18








Voodoo Vixen Cat-Print Green Swing Dress, $72.38

When I first saw this dress, it wasn't the print that caught my eye. It was a combination of the shade of green, the black scalloped accents and the style of the dress. I didn't even realize it had cats on it until I zoomed in. lol For me, this dress toes the line of alternative mainly because many repro companies make dresses similar to this and don't classify it as anything except vintage-inspired. 








Rock On With Shakin Stevens & The Sunsets,
"A Legend" LP (1970), $12









Hell Bunny Dixie Pink Swing Dress, $26.15

Of the dresses I found this week, this one is undoubtedly my favorite. I like the combination of the polka dot neck and hemlines as well as the black bow around the waist. Again, it breaks up the pattern and gives the dress a little more personality. I also like that the pinup is on the straps rather than it being a solid color; it's a small detail but I still appreciate it. I've seen quite a few colorful/quirky prints used for vintage dresses before, but this one for me is completely alternative. It's a bit more bouncy and youthful in the print design than many of the other vintage skirts I go for. 








Lorrie and Larry Collins, "The Lonesome Road"



This particular Files was extremely challenging for me to finish because my knowledge of anything rockabilly is miniscule, which believe it or not is still an understatement. lol I had to research just to figure out what to include in the post and I'm still not 100% confident I chose all accurate items. The music was especially difficult for me, which is why there aren't any captions underneath them. The thing I noticed while doing the fashion half of this post is that there isn't a terribly large difference between basic rockabilly and vintage fashion, at least not for me. There is a distinct difference between the two, but I think my personal style already includes fashion that could be categorized under rockabilly.  

I apologize that this entry is going up late again (it's very early on Monday morning) but the insanity going on in my personal life has been taken up a notch, which yet again messed with both my desire (and time) to blog. Here's hoping that things finally settle down; punctuality has always been a problem of mine but this is getting ridiculous. I hope you can forgive me. I'm trying to get things back on track for next week. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment