Sunday, October 25, 2015

ATV Octoberfest 12: Repro Vintage Halloween-Themed Fashion



Hi! For this last full weekend of October, after the creepy stuff we've been looking at for the past couple of weeks, I thought we could start reintroducing lighter Halloween topics. I still have three darker posts to catch up on, but it'll be balanced out with the four lighter ones I'm doing as well. Halloween-themed fashion has been my concession to wearing an actual costume for a few years, but it wasn't until I started doing the Vintage Fashion Inspiration posts a couple of years ago (I'm wondering if I should resurrect that sometime, but my track record doesn't look too promising) that I was able to see just how cute holiday-themed repro is. So I just wanted to show off a few of the repro fashions I liked the most. This one might be a little lengthy; not only do I really like some of the Halloween-themed fashion choices that my favorite sites have to offer, but I also haven't done a fashion related post in quite some time. Enjoy!

Unique Vintage 

Navy Hemingway Flapper Dress, $128
I guess this one could go both ways. You could wear this as a Halloween costume, or you could wear it to a fancy affair. I'd wear it to both. lol It's very simple in terms of flapper wear, but it still fits the bill in terms of elegance in case you're not trying to go gory or overboard with your costume. If you are trying to go gory with your makeup though, I think the simple but deep blue color will still be a beautiful background. As for fancy affairs, a nice dinner would be a good option to wear this to. To sum it up, I like this dress. 






Cream & Silver Sequined Gatsby Flapper Dress, $180
If you want a middle of the road flapper look, this one fits the bill for me. It has much more detail than the one above, but it's not quite as in your face as the dress that's underneath this one. I love the detailing in dresses like this one; for me, it captures the Art Deco theme of the time period beautifully. It too is elegant and dressy enough to be worn outside of a costumed setting. 





Dazzling Silver Flapper Costume, $62
But if you want to go full-on flapper, which I'd strongly encourage because (if you've been here for awhile then you already know) I'm extra as hell when it comes to flapper fashion, go with this. If you're (lucky and willingly becoming a recipient of my jealousy) going to a themed party for Halloween, this is both a fun and gorgeous way to go. Love the one shoulder and the fact that the dress is silver. I nearly went with this red & black sequined dress because it's definitely over the top and Halloween is the time to be exactly that, but when I saw the back was plain I was disappointed. If I'm going to do the most, I'd like to do the most coming and going. LOL I can't see the back of this one, but I hope the detailing is the same on the back. 






Black and White Bat Parasol, $34
I've said repeatedly that I love parasols, and I thought this one was adorable. If you're not wearing a costume or don't even feel like bothering with Halloween, this is a much subtler way to do it. Not too much to say about it; the bat detailing is really cute and who doesn't like parasols? Well I know quite a few people who don't, but they don't matter. lol I kid. 






Black Charleston Feather Flapper Headband, $14
What's a flapper without her feathered (or jeweled...or both) headband? One reason why I like flapper headbands and fascinators is because they're super easy to make if you have the right materials. I'm also extra when it comes to headgear and accessories, but flower crowns and feathered fascinators are right at the top, directly behind corny holiday-themed headbands. Don't judge me. 





Really though, I think you should check out the entire Halloween section. I'd have put more choices up here, but I wanted to squeeze in a few other shops so I had to cut it down to 5. But moving on, let's see what the next shop has to offer!





ModCloth

Feeling Playful Skirt in Skeletons, $49.99
I saw this skirt a couple of weeks ago and knew it was going to be on this list. It's a very playful skirt, and its festive without either being too dark for comfort or not dark enough. It's a decent length, so you can wear it a number of places. And it's cute, which is really the only reason I'd need to have it in my life. 






Skull Spirit Cardigan, $59.99
I don't know that this is vintage per se, but I put it up here anyway because I liked it. It looks insanely warm for one, I kinda like that the skulls are over the boobs (so maybe I'm a bit immature, but if you've been here before you knew that already) but I also like it because of how simple it is. I'd probably pair this with some jeans and boots, but that's just me. How would you style this? 






The Bolder I Get Dress in Bewitched, $99.99
The adoration I have for this dress. I love everything about it, from the print and the words on the print, to the neckline and length of the dress. There's nothing about it that I don't like. It'd be a classy party dress, but on the other hand, who cares about where you can wear it? Just wear it. lol 






Feeling Playful Skirt in Scary Movies, $49.99
I saw this one shortly after the skeleton skirt and realized that I wanted both of them in my life. This is another one that's really playful and fun, but still has a touch of Halloween in it. I also like how colorful this is; despite loving the dark colors for Halloween and the fall season in general, I also enjoy the pops of color because they're always so vivid. I think this would be good for the gal who isn't crazy about the darker options and wants something fun. 






Spirit in the Fright Dress, $53.99
Since most of the things I've put on here so far (and will put on here later) are dark, I loved how vibrant this dress was in comparison. This has a number of things on it, pumpkins, cats, ghosts and even a peek out of a window. I think this is by far one of the more lively and fun garments on this list. 





This is another Halloween section that you should see in its entirety. The other favorites that I didn't include on here were the Rad to the Bone Dress, the Door to Door Delight Earring Set, and the Skull Days, Skull Days Leggings. On to the next shop!






Pinup Girl Clothing

To the Maxi Skirt in Black, $82
The things you could do with this skirt. I'm digging the black on black, but I'm sure there are tons of other ways you could style this maxi skirt. It seems very 'evil queen of the manor' to me and I love it. For me, this would probably just be part of a Halloween costume; I always worry that high-waisted maxi skirts dwarf my figure. I'm already like 2 feet tall so this of utmost importance. lol This has a very elegant look to it, so I think it could also be styled beautifully apart from the Halloween theme. 






Universal Monsters Movie Wiggle Dress, $86

How cute is this dress?? I think it's a simple but kickass way to show some love for Halloween, vintage style. A black cardi would be perfect with this. Heels or flats, bare legs or tights, all of the above would work with the dress. I think it's really versatile and I like that. For places with casual Fridays, this would be perfect to wear; it's not so casual that it would look out of place. The vintage styling of the dress gives it a few points easy in the chic category, but avoids making it look kitschy or tacky. I dig the hell out of it. 






Glamour Ghoul Dress in Black and White Stripe, $180

The Beetlejuice dress of my dreams. I'm loving the [expletive] out of the large peplum detailing in the overskirt (which is removable), and I really like how this looks overall. It's not for the faint of heart or for those who don't have the confidence to pull it off. You have to be both bold and daring to properly do this dress justice, at least to me. This is one of those 'look out world, I'm here' dresses that will have more than one person giving you a double take throughout the day. It's incredibly sexy, the striping is very bold, and it still has that bit of spooky vintage flair that I appreciate. Loving the styling with it too; a red lip and hair off to one side is perfect. 






Deadly Dames High Waisted Full Skirt in Green Monster Print, $98

It was either this skirt or one similar to it that initially got me thinking about doing a repro Halloween fashion post because I loved how the elements of Halloween were combined with vintage structuring. That brings me to this high-waisted circle skirt which has monster print on it. Firstly, I think that Frankenstein shade of green is perfect for the skirt. and I like how it's something totally different than the monster wiggle dress above. This one reminds me more of an atomic-style monster print. I love that it also comes with a matching handbag. If off the shoulder tops aren't your thing, a simple black tee tucked into the skirt would also look nice. 






Pinup Couture Heidi Dress in Spiderweb Print, $102

This is a fine example of repro Halloween fashion for me. Totally vintage in the style and structure of the dress, but the modern touch that repro gives vintage shines through in the print. It's gorgeous. Do you think a hat or some other hair accessory would be nice with this, or would that be too much?





You already know what I'm going to say here. Go check out PUG's Halloween section. The jewelry there was awesome; I'm mad I didn't pick a piece or two but compared to these dresses, I had to go with the dresses. For jewelry, I plotzed a little over the Eventide Bats Earrings, the Dangle and Dazzle Cobweb Brooch, and the Luxulite Pumpkin Earrings. The Lilith Bustle Fishnet Jacket is absolutely stunning in every way, from the detail on the jacket to the fit to the way it was styled in the photographs. I am in love with it and you should be too. lol It was actually getting a peek at PUG's Halloween collection that inspired this post, so I had to close it out with them. 



So that's all for me today. I know that for some vintage fashion lovers, repro tends to get a bad rap. For me though, I think it's a method of paying homage to the awesome fashion of yesteryear with a bit of modern flair, without the fuss of upkeep that comes with authentic pieces. That's my primary concern with genuine pieces, especially Victorian/Edwardian-age garments. They're so delicate that I'd be terrified to ruin them, so I probably wouldn't wear them. I'd just hang them up where I can look at them and dream. lol But seriously, I love repro and these Halloween collections are all very distinctive in the offerings and the way that the items in the collections are styled. I wonder what's on the agenda for Christmas. I've blabbed enough. I hope you enjoyed and I'll see you soon!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment