Monday, August 10, 2015

SUTS Day 10: Joan Crawford

The incomparable Joan Crawford is the featured star for Day 10 of this year's SUTS. 
Source
Movie lineup (all times in EST):

*Previous TNT Alert! 6:00 AM The Unknown (1927)*

7:02 AM Blossom Seeley And Bennie Fields (1928) *unrelated short*

7:15 AM West Point (1928) 

*Previous TNT Alert! 9:00 AM Our Dancing Daughters (1928)*

10:30 AM Dancing Lady (1933) 

12:10 PM At Home With Joan Crawford (1953) *short*

12:15 PM Sadie McKee (1934) 

2:00 PM Forsaking All Others (1934) 

*Previous TNT Alert! 3:30 PM The Women (1939)* 

5:44 PM The Romance Of Celluloid (1937) *unrelated short*

6:00 PM Strange Cargo (1940)

*Daily Cinema: 8:00 PM Possessed (1947)*

10:00 PM Flamingo Road (1949) 

11:45 PM The Damned Don't Cry (1950) 

*Previous TNT Alert! 1:45 AM What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)*

4:15 AM Trog (1970)
Four Previous TNT Alerts in the same day, that has to be a record, right? I mistakenly clocked it at two initially, but looking back one last time at previous TNTs while I was typing this up brought the count up to 4, which is a record I'm not sure we'll ever beat. I know exactly how it happened though, so I'll explain. Last January, Joan Crawford was TCM's featured star of the month, and for some reason I was uncharacteristically indecisive ::sarcasm:: so all of the TNTs for that month were Double Features, and four of those ended up being on today's list. Even though one of my favorite movies is on today's list, it isn't today's Daily Cinema, partially because TCM has aired it quite a few times over the past couple of years, and also because I believe I have already chosen it for a Cinema for a previous SUTS. 

I am a little disappointed though because two pieces of what I believe to be some of Joan's best work didn't make today's list. Humoresque and Mildred Pierce were both great films (to me, anyway) and a very stark contrast in characters for those who like seeing an actor's range, but neither of them made today's list. Moving on, today's Daily Cinema choice is 1947's Possessed, which stars Crawford as a married woman with some hidden mental issues that come to the surface when she becomes possessed with passion for a former lover, so much so that it drives her to madness. It's days like this that I realize just how extensive Joan's filmography was, because just as I can attempt to swear that I've seen most of her movies, days like this one come about and I realize I haven't even gotten started yet. Despite the four previous TNTs, I haven't seen one movie on today's list but I've seen a decent number of her movies overall. 

But anywho, since this posts at exactly midnight my time, I feel that it's appropriate to share a bit of my excitement that today is ATV's 5th birthday!!! Of course, not much has changed in the way of followers so the initial big celebration/giveaway thing I'd thought I'd be able to do when I first changed the dynamic of the blog isn't going to happen. It just hasn't quite hit its stride like I thought it would, but that's okay. I love what I do and eventually I'm going to get to where I want to be and share my rambles with more people. I'll touch on this more in what promises to be a sentimental, probably long-winded Mandy's Note that I'll be posting later on this morning but I wanted to send a quick Happy Birthday to my little corner of the blogosphere first. Sorry for the very long preview post and I'll see you later on today. Happy viewing!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment