Wednesday, June 17, 2015

From the Etsy Files....



Howdy! I had a witty little note to insert here about how I wasn't late, but it's Thursday now soo...maybe I'll be able to roll it out next week. Ha. I'm still getting my life together. Give me some time. lol I have one more post to catch up on this week that I'll be posting tomorrow, so everything should be current by Sunday. Anyway, continuing on with the month's theme of weddings, I wanted to focus more on the dress part of the festivities since I covered decor and favor ideas last week. Let's get to it!



Vintage 1970s Wedding Headpiece, $75

There are about four reasons why I posted this headpiece. Firstly and most importantly, I love it. I love the variety in the details, from what I believe are rhinestones or crystals in the center, to the pearls connecting the flowers on the sides of the head, to the detailing on the sides. Secondly, I really like this mannequin's eyebrows. LOL I know it's going to sound weird, but I am obsessed with these mannequin heads. I like when they look a certain way, I like the ones created in certain time periods more than others because they look a certain way--I know, it's strange. Either way, check those eyebrows. Third, I love the eye makeup. And fourth, the expression looks sort of glazed, especially with the mouth open. lol Creepy mannequin musings aside though, I thought this headpiece was super cute and since the initial theme of this month was supposed to be '70s weddings, I wanted to start out this post with something from that time period. 







Vintage 1960s Mod Wedding Gown, $250

This is another of those entries where it's not on the list because it's a particular favorite, it's on here because it has something I haven't seen before. When I think of the outerwear that most brides wear for their wedding day, I think of boleros, shawls, or mink stoles. This '60s gown has its own full-length coat in the same print as the dress. The dress itself is rather simple as far as wedding dresses go, but for a justice of the peace or very small ceremony, I think this would be perfect. My favorite part of this is actually the coat. The dress is pretty enough, but it's not really my style. The coat, however, I'd wear with or without the wedding dress to accompany it. It would probably look just as good if used for formal evening wear. 







Vintage 1920s Gatsby Art Nouveau Bridal Cloche, $2800

First things first, pardon my friend's nudity. It's been hot here and she couldn't help it. LOL For some reason, this headpiece--more so the dangly sides--reminds me a lot of a headpiece that Cher might have worn back in the day. It might be a bit too simple compared to many of her other pieces, but it's still something I can see her in. Anyway, I think this piece is so beautiful I can't stand it. When I started looking for a bridal cloche, what I wanted (and expected) to find was a simple but beautiful white, beaded cloche. I found this stunner instead. There is a piece that goes down the center of the head and a piece that crosses that on top of the head. So my only real question for this piece would be how would the hair underneath it be styled? This seems to be better suited for those who intend to have finger waves or another scalp-grazing 'do for their wedding.







Antique Edwardian Wedding Dress, $700

I am always drawn to the Edwardian era, probably partially because of my constant amazement at the durability of garments that look especially flimsy. One reason I love this time period so much is because everything was so dainty and feminine but like the other eras I love, had a very distinct style. That brings me to this wedding dress. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the large sash going around the waist but it's grown on me. This is extremely simple compared to the wedding dresses of today, but no less gorgeous to me. You could probably boho this out if you felt like it and had the right accessories, or you could stay true to the era it was created for. 







1920s-Inspired Bridal Veil with Antique Lace, $435

This isn't an authentic vintage veil, but the lace is antique. I really like how the front of the headpiece is delicate but sort of elaborate, especially compared to how simple the veil itself is. The flowers on the sides are again my favorite part of the entire piece. I don't like fussy veils and if I were to get married, I'd probably want something like Spanish lace if I decided to go with something long. Otherwise, I think I'd prefer a headpiece or a smaller netted veil instead. Being in Texas though, the longer veil would end up making a pretty good mosquito barrier if you're outdoors; the bugs here are relentless and any barrier, even if it is your wedding veil, is welcomed. lol 







Steampunk/Victorian-Inspired Wedding Dress, $1875

This is a steampunk-inspired wedding dress and I love that it's not white. I think for more themed dresses, like steampunk or Victorian, not going with full on white makes more sense. It makes the dresses look better that way, I think. In this dress, I like the difference between the form-fitting lace up top and the layered tulle on bottom. Today's layered tulle bottoms are usually really large, but this one, while voluminous for the dress, still meshes really well with the top. I like the keyhole styled top half and even though I'm not usually one for appliques, I think it looks right for this dress. I'm not crazy about how the dress comes together in the back, but it probably looks better in motion or on an actual person, so I can deal with that.







Antique Edwardian Platinum & Diamond Necklace, $8500

I was reading the description of this item and the main reason why it is priced this high, in addition to its completely flawless condition despite its age, is because this is as close to original platinum as you can get. Apparently around the time of the creation of this necklace, platinum was just beginning to be created and that original method is how this was made. The Edwardian era was a century ago, and the condition of this necklace is freakin' amazeballs. For brides who want a simple, timeless look for their wedding day, this is something that fits the bill and is more than worthy of becoming a valuable family heirloom down the line.







Ultimate 1920s Flapper Dress, $2419.35

The moment I saw this dress, I was in Plotzville, population one. This is an original flapper dress from the '20s, complete with all of the original sequin detailing and beading. The seller thinks this dress is a French-made one, and it is such a beaut that it should be a crime. When I saw this, I immediately thought of that headpiece I included at the beginning of the post and fell all the way in love. I've been seeing a rise, more now than ever, in the number of brides who change dresses for their receptions, usually to something that coordinates with the wedding theme. For brides who go with a Great Gatsby theme, this would be infinitely more comfortable than the gown and much more fun to wear for a night of dancing and schmoozing. I would be concerned about the wear and tear of the dress but if that's the case, themed wedding photos would be great because you still get to wear the dress without the worry of being too rough on it in the process.







1950s Vintage Handbag, $14

I usually go for briefcase purses these days, but I think for the wedding day you should go with something feminine and easier to carry. This little handbag covers all the essentials you would need for touch-ups throughout the day--lash glue for any loose lashes, lip gloss or chapstick, a small compact, a couple of breath mints, or some blotting papers for any midday shine. I'm rather surprised that a handbag from the '50s is only $14 as I have seen similar bags from the same time period priced around two times that amount, but I won't question a bargain. lol The interior lining is in good shape, I didn't notice any rips, tears or damage. I don't see any big problems with the beading details either and the handle isn't coming loose from the handbag, which is what I look for the most when looking at vintage purses. 







50s Adele Simpson Ecru Satin Wedding Dress, $374

If you're going to have a hen party or a farewell breakfast for after the wedding, I think this would be a good dress to go with. I like going with silver or even gold (depending on personal preference) for the pre- or post-nuptial events and this dress fits the bill. It's an acceptable length, it's appropriate for the theme of the weekend, and it still fits the whole 'bridal' theme without needing to go with another white dress. For weddings in the fall or winter, this is a good dress for post-wedding events. 







Vintage His and Hers Embroidered Handkerchiefs, $33.99

I really like this idea of his and hers embroidered handkerchiefs for the special day. Even though the entire day is about the couple, this is a smaller, more subtle (but no less meaningful) accent to the wedding. I feel sort of sentimental about this having belonged to another couple first; I wonder about things like what the couple was like, if they were the only owners of this set, were the hankies passed down through the family, sappy things like that. lol These are said to have been created around the '50s or so, and even though there's some discoloration, mainly on the "His" piece from what I can see in this photo, I'd still love to own them and give one to my husband-to-be for our wedding.







'40s Vintage Lingerie, $328

Of course, I can't finish off this entry without including a little something for the all-important wedding night. I was originally thinking of something a bit more racy until I came across this lingerie set. Underneath this absolutely gorgeous robe is an equally pretty silk nightie with lace trim around the bust. I'm always surprised when I see older pieces, especially those made of silk or lace, in such good condition despite their age. I'd love this even if I wasn't getting married. It would remind me of the women in black and white '40s movies who wore these to bed. I'd feel like such a lady in this...until I inevitably spilled some food on it. LOL



I included a couple of extras this week, partially to make up for posting so late in the day and partially because I just felt like it. lol I tried to cover most of the components of a bride's outfit on her big day and minus the garter and undergarments (bra, panties, pantyhose) I think I covered it. I'm not sure why I was on such an Edwardian-era kick when I went into the month trying to integrate more '70s items, but I went with it anyway. I hope you've been enjoying the wedding-themed posts so far; it's been more of a challenge than I initially anticipated but it's been a lot of fun. See you tomorrow!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment