Wednesday, June 3, 2015

From the eBay Files...

'Ello! I hope your week has been treating you well; I also hope you're not in the midst of a heat wave that would make Hades proud. lol As is always the case around these parts, June for me is wedding month. Supposedly June is the hottest month in my hometown so there aren't too many weddings outside, but its always around this time when I notice a crop of wedding photos going up so that's why I chose it. July comes to mind as well, especially right around Independence Day, but for the most part I notice the most focus for weddings around May and June. When you think of wedding season, which month (or months) pop up in your mind? For this edition of the Files, I just wanted to focus on different items for the bride, if not for the engagement party than for the wedding itself. Let's get started!



2-pc Set of Pristine Pale Pink Wedding Hats with Veils, $39
Color me cray, but the hat that is on the mannequin is the reason why I chose to include this on the list. I'm a sucker for flower headpieces, I like simple veils and I really like the placement of the flowers on this hat. If you could remove the veil it'd still be a pretty headpiece. The other one isn't too much my taste, but when I saw the two of them together I thought it would be a cute bride/mother of the bride or bride/maid of honor combination. With the veil hat you can still have some versatility in the hairstyle you choose, while with the other one the entire crown is hidden underneath the hat, but I love the combination of the flowers and tulle on it. 






Exquisite '50s Sheer Ivory Scalloped Lace Wedding Dress, $253 
If I'd seen this dress on the left by itself, I probably would have passed right over it, which shows how much differently a dress can look once you put it on. This isn't quite the same dress, but the general design is the same, as is the length, style of the sleeves and the lace overlay. The neckline is a little different; I'd prefer the one on the right, personally, but I still think this is a stunning dress. The hoop skirt underneath really makes it pop. The styling done on the right is perfect. Even though I'm not normally one for white pumps, they're perfect with the gown. The veil is simple and doesn't take away from the gown itself, the gloves are an appropriate length and don't clash with the sleeves, and I just love the contrast of the waist with how the bottom half of the gown falls. 






Vintage 1970s Polyester Knit Wedding Dress with Beading, $95
Wearing this dress in the middle of June, when heat stroke is very probable if wearing '70s-era polyester knit, isn't the best of ideas. But for a fall or winter wedding, I think this would be gorgeous. I love the collar and the triangle cutout leading down to that beautiful chestpiece, and despite the long sleeves and simple design on the back, there's something that keeps drawing me back to the dress. This style of dress set against a fall or winter color scheme would really draw out the elegance of the gown, and I really like it. 






Vintage 1980s Victor Costa/I.Magnin Wedding Halter Dress, $99
Even though I've come around on my opinion of short wedding dresses, I think this one might be a little too party-friendly for me. I think this would be a good bridal or engagement party dress, though. It's no secret that the '80s doesn't immediately come to mind when I think of my favorite decades in fashion, but I do love this dress. It's the detailing around the mid-section and the flouncy material that did it for me. It's less formal than I'd prefer for the actual ceremony, but I'd wear it for the bridal party in a second. For an '80s garment, I'm kinda surprised that I like it so much. lol 






Vintage Victorian Drawstring Beaded Purse, $14.99
I'd want a tiny bag for my wedding. I'm used to carrying briefcase-sized bags on a daily basis now so it's quite the challenge to think of trying to squeeze my essentials into such a small bag, but I couldn't pass this one up when I saw it. It's either genuine Victorian or inspired by that era but either way I love the Chinese takeout box design it has going on. I love the drawstring closure; it'd be easy to wear this dangling off the wrist. It has a distinctive look to it and isn't gaudy, which I appreciate, but it also has an undeniably vintage look, which fits the 'something old' portion to a T. That's my favorite part of that whole tradition, the 'something old' part. For me, the possibilities of what vintage piece I can wear are endless. This would be a beautiful accessory to take along with you on your big day that can then become an excellent knick-knack piece after the festivities have ended. 






Vintage 1960s Strapless Ivory Brocade Wedding Dress, $75
I think if you're going for more of a simple, non-traditional ceremony, this would be a good dress to go with. It's not the 'traditional' length or color, it's much simpler than most wedding gowns today, but it still has that touch of vintage elegance to it that I like. I actually like that it's not all white. The description says that the skirt isn't quite flared enough for a crinoline, but I tend to think it would look better with one underneath. I'm probably wrong though. lol What do you think?






Vintage Beaded Cocktail Mod Dress, $114.95
This dress would be appropriate and very classy if having a justice of the peace wedding, but for me, this is another engagement party dress. I am in love with the beaded lapels and waistband, and I like that the dress itself looks to be more cream than a white. That could be the lighting, but I still like how the colors mesh together. I also like the little 'cleave control' panel; it integrates the print without going overboard and doesn't leave your girls hanging out in the wind either. I also like the pleating coming from the waistband. It makes the dress look a bit more structured and not quite as plain as it probably would be without it.






1970s Boho-Style Cream Lace Crochet Dress, $89.95
This is another dress that veers far away from what my usual preference is for a wedding dress, but I think that...and those plotz-worthy angel wing sleeves...is exactly why I like it so much. It would be great for a simple garden wedding, where you can play off of nature and the elements. Again with me and these crochet dresses. I guess it's time to amend my previous belief that I didn't like them-- goodness knows I've mentioned it enough--while talking about a crochet dress that I did like. LOL When I think about wearing this as a wedding dress, I think of something with a flower or jewel-adorned headpiece (I know, how typical lol), loose, flowy waves, light, natural makeup, and bare feet. It has a soft, earthy feel to it that I'd like to see in a garden or woodland type of wedding. 






1 for U Vintage-Inspired Parasol and Lace Fan Set, $72.82
Speaking of outdoor weddings, I was trying to find original 2-pc sets of parasols and lace fans, but I decided on this repro set because it can probably withstand a little more wear and tear than an original. I always worry about older lace being a little more flimsy and one of the last things I'd probably want to go through on my wedding day is having my parasol or fan ruined. It'd undoubtedly be more expensive to repair than a repro set, and it can't be replaced. I'd rather stick with something easier to acquire--or replace--so I'd go with a repro set like this one.






1980s Downton Abbey Dropwaist Lace Wedding Dress, $148

And finally, I didn't put this dress on the list because it's a favorite, although I do find it a little intriguing and for lace usually being such a flimsy material, it's in pretty good condition. I included this dress because I have a question for you. This is an '80s does '20s dropwaist two-piece wedding set, but I'd have no idea how to style this. Maybe a small wedding cap with the hanging veil in front of the eyes or a large fascinator? If this was your wedding dress, how would you style it?




That does it for me this week. I didn't forget about the Vintage Spotlight for last month; as always, I'm still working on it. I really need to get better at this. lol I promise, this month's will be on time. Anyway, I hope you watched TNT along with me tonight (despite the scheduled date of this post, it's Thursday lol) and I'll see you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment