Wednesday, May 20, 2015

From the Etsy Files...


I know picnics were the theme for the month, but I kinda feel like I should be doing a summer post instead with the temperatures we've been having lately. How is it in your neck of the woods? We've been hovering at or just over the 90 degree mark for the better part of two weeks now, but summer doesn't officially begin until next month. I'll be the first to tell you that summers in Texas, especially in my part of the state, aren't the most forgiving and it can be very difficult to be out in 105+ temperatures, especially during the heat of the day. So for me, the optimum seasons for picnicking would be spring and fall, because the temperatures are slightly milder and conditions are a bit more bearable. But weather talk aside, I hope you're having a good week. Let's get started!




The Jane Skirt, $86

This is the kind of skirt I was looking for on Pinterest last week. Obviously it's a repro, but as long as it still has a vintage feel to it rather than just having the 'vintage' label slapped on it, I'm usually not very picky. I've seen a few vintage skirts with these cute little prints on them in movies and photos, but I didn't have much luck when I looked for genuine skirts on my own. I probably just wasn't looking in the right places. But when I found this skirt on Etsy last week, it was just about everything I was looking for. Circle skirt, cute bird print, versatility with the style of top paired with it, and picnic-friendly. As I get older, I still struggle with the concept of wearing skirts or dresses for more than just special occasions, but I find that I'm beginning to warm to it. It just needs to be casual enough for me to be comfortable and not constantly feel overdressed. This one fits the bill.






1970s Wicker Picnic Basket w/Wine Slots, $67
Whenever I think of having a picnic, the first thing I picture is the wicker basket. Despite the convenience of an insulated bag or a portable cooler, there's nothing quite like packing up an old school wicker basket and taking it along with you for a day at the park. This small basket has two slots for wine and although wine and nibblies in the park does sound lovely, I'm not a wine drinker so I'd probably stash a couple of sodas in there instead. lol Even though wicker is durable for the most part, some of the smaller strings are a bit flimsier so I'm surprised that they've held up so well. Assuming that it is a genuine '70s piece, I guess that would explain the price. 






1940s Pastel Pink Vintage Picnic Dress, $348
I believe that this is a genuine piece from the '40s, and it is in absolutely amazing condition for the color, style and age of the dress, which explains the price. This is advertised as being a Disney princess style dress, one for Aurora I believe, and I can see that in this dress. I also see a light, breezy dress that would be good for light snacks and sips in the shade. I think it would also be a good garden party dress, because you can dress it up or down if you so choose. 






McCall's Front Button Flared Tea Length Skirt Patterns, $8.75
The fashions on this pattern cover look to be '80s, maybe early '90s, and while neither of those are among my favorite decades in fashion, the style of skirt is pretty fitting for a picnic. It's much freer than a pencil skirt, a bit more relaxed than a circle skirt, and you can use an array of different fabrics for the pattern. These are well-suited for a comfortable afternoon, lounging at the park. I actually kind of like the styling in the second drawing; I'd wear that to a picnic. 






'70s Mod Short Jumpsuit, $69
Color me cray, but I think this jumpsuit is so cute it's unreal. I'd wear this in a minute. The only thing I worry about is how the crotch area in the front would look and/or feel. One reason why I don't bother with one pieces in general, whether they be overalls, bodysuits or swimsuits, is because I worry about the potential of cameltoe or wedgie situations. lol When it's all one piece, sometimes it just doesn't fall right on the body and if you have a long torso like this mannequin does, you can see the pulling of the shirt around the bottom, where the shorts begin. That pulling continues on downward and really doesn't look good. That's why I usually stay away from them, but I thought this jumpsuit was too cute to resist. I didn't see any damage to the garment in the photos nor in the seller's description and I think it would be perfect for a picnic--I'd just need to wear a bib to avoid any messes. lol






Red Gingham Polly Picnic Playsuit, $105.15
What kind of picnic-themed post would this be if I didn't include any gingham print, right? This adorable repro playsuit is made with an equally cute pair of matching gingham print bottoms underneath, so even though the hemline is a little short for me, I'd still wear it. I think this would be good for both picnics and pool parties and on a smaller note, if you're deathly pale at the end of winter like I am, this would be a good outfit to wear if you'd like to start working on that tan. It's flirty, it's playful and festive for the occasion. 






1980s Christian Lacroix Havana Cateye Sunglasses, $237
One of my favorite parts about the warmer months is being able to wear sunglasses. I know that sounds silly, but it really is one of my favorite things. The colder months don't usually net much sunlight and the little bit of it we do get is welcomed, so the last thing I'm trying to do is shield myself from it. But during the warmer months, sunglasses are on my list of essentials. My obsession with cat-eye frames is no secret if you've been here before, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I went with a pair of cat-eye sunglasses. I saw the little starburst on the side of these '80s designer glasses and was sold. Not so much on the price of course lol, but these look to be in great condition. Love them.






1950s Mellow Yellow Wiggle Dress, $50
This dress reminds me of sunshine. I'm a little concerned because you can see the stamping on the mannequin through the dress so it's probably pretty sheer, but I like the neckline and the length. This is another dress that you can change the look of with shoes and accessories, but I'd prefer to wear my hair up to showcase the neckline and keep the shoes simple with flats or maybe some white wedges. It reminds me a bit of a mod-style dress. The material is light enough to keep you cool for a picnic and doesn't look confining. How would you style this?






Antique French Picnic Basket, $120
I love this picnic basket for a number of reasons, but I really like that the age shows in the basket. I know that probably sounds strange, but I like when picnic baskets are still in good condition but have that 'lived in' look to them. It makes me wonder how many people took this with them for their afternoons in a park, enjoying the weather and the company of others. This is also not the traditional shape of a picnic basket, which I also like. This is an antique French basket, and even if it wasn't antique, I still like the look of it. The size of this basket would be great for a family outing. 






1950s Atomic Print Dress, $225
Ever since I found out that this print was called atomic, I've become slightly obsessed with finding it everywhere. I've been trying to find it for the longest time, but I never knew what to search. Now that I know, it's like a levee broke. LOL I think this dress is too cute. Obviously I'm in a state of plotz over the print, love the neckline and the thicker straps. I also like the length, and it's busy enough to be worn alone but not too busy that I can't still accessorize if I felt like it. I'd wear this to a picnic; it has a casual, fun vibe about it. 






Vintage-Inspired Light Gold Lace & Charmeuse Wedding Dress, $899
I thought as a little extra this month I'd give a little peek at next month's theme. I don't know if I'll ever not make June wedding month because I love wedding season so much. The more I get into vintage, the more vintage wedding dresses I fall in love with, and it never gets old to show off my favorite finds. I think this vintage-inspired empire waist gown is a dream. I love that it's not all white and the detailing on it is gorgeous. It's not overly inspired and still has modern elements, but it's done in such an elegant way. This picture doesn't quite do it justice but the close-ups are beautiful.



There's an irony for me in finishing this post. When I started looking up entries for this File yesterday (Wednesday), it was crazy hot and I sweated my way through half of these entries, but with the heat aside the skies were clear and beautiful. It was easy to come up with entries because the weather was an inspiration of sorts. Today, however, it's a little chilly, there's rain on the forecast and I have yet to see the sun. But I still had to finish the other half of these entries about picnicking, all while rain clouds were hovering above, waiting to drop their wet packages over my house. I'm not booed up with the fan like I was yesterday because I'd rather snuggle in my blanket instead. lol I'm sure I'll be back to the sweat party tomorrow though; rain never lasts long around here. Anywho, I hope you'll be watching our TNT tonight and I'll be back in a couple of days with this month's Vintage Spotlight!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment