Tuesday, August 5, 2014

SUTS Day 5: Barbara Stanwyck

Day 5 of this year's SUTS belongs to my lady crush, Barbara Stanwyck. 
Source
Today's lineup: (all times in EST)

6:00 AM Illicit (1931)

7:30 AM Stella Dallas (1937)

9:30 AM Breakfast for Two (1937)

10:45 AM The Gay Sisters (1942)

12:45 PM Lady of Burlesque (1943)

2:30 PM The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947)

4:15 PM Cry Wolf (1947)

5:45 PM Meet John Doe (1941)

Daily Cinema: 8:00 PM Ball of Fire (1942)

10:00 PM Night Nurse (1931)

*Previous TNT Alert! 11:30 PM There’s Always Tomorrow (1956)

1:00 AM The Man with a Cloak (1951)

2:30 AM To Please a Lady (1950)

4:15 AM Annie Oakley (1935)
First things first. I love this woman to pieces. To pieces. If you've been here for awhile, I think you have an inkling of the depth of my lady crush on Barbara Stanwyck. She's hands down one of my favorite actresses and I have yet to see her in a film that I didn't like. She epitomized classiness, even when she was doing something completely undignified, like being a murderess in Double Indemnity. That's actually the first movie I saw her in and I loved her, even though I hated Phyllis. The whole day is full of great movies, so hopefully you'll end the day as enamored with her as I am. But enough gushing from me. I chose Ball of Fire as today's Daily Cinema because it's an absolute riot. I saw it the last time that Barbara was featured during SUTS and I'm so jealous I won't get to watch it with you all today. 

Ball of Fire is about a fiesty nightclub performer who gets tangled up with a group of secluded professors who live together. After using their house to hide out from the police, she falls in love with the youngest professor in the bunch as she teaches them about current slang, which is one of the areas the professors are researching. All seems well, until she is kidnapped by her former boyfriend's goonies. Did I mention that the ex is a mob boss and the police were trying to question her about him, which is why she ended up with the professors? The movie seems like a grown-up twist to Snow White and I love it. An amazing runner-up for Daily Cinema would be Stella Dallas. It's beautiful, heartbreaking, and as always, Miss Stanwyck knocks it out of the park. If you're a night owl like me, check out Annie Oakley as well. It's great. Don't forget TCM's hashtag of #StanwyckTCM if you're watching throughout the day, and #atvstanwyck if you watch the Daily Cinema. See you tomorrow!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment