Sunday, August 10, 2014

SUTS Day 10: Carole Lombard

Carole Lombard is the featured star for the 10th day of this year's SUTS. 

Source
Today's lineup: (all times in EST)

6:00 AM Virtue (1932)

7:30 AM No More Orchids (1932)

9:00 AM In Name Only (1939)

11:00 AM Lady by Choice (1934)

12:30 PM Twentieth Century (1934)

2:15 PM The Gay Bride (1934)

4:00 PM Made for Each Other (1939)

6:00 PM Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941)

8:00 PM To Be or Not to Be (also Essentials Jr.) (1942) 

*TCM Movie Debut & Daily Cinema: 10:00 PM True Confession (1937)*

11:45 PM Nothing Sacred (1937)
Netflix

1:15 AM Vigil in the Night (1940)

3:00 AM Fools for Scandal (1938)

4:30 AM Golden Age of Comedy (1957)


As much time as I spend either watching black and whites, researching them or looking up the actors, you'd figure I'd have seen Carole Lombard before, but I never had until today, when I was putting this post together. I knew she was married to Clark Gable and that she'd died in a plane crash, but I'd never seen her or any of her movies before. I had such a hard time selecting a movie for today's Daily Cinema; most of these movies have such an intriguing synopsis that I just couldn't decide. 

I finally decided on the comedy True Confession, which is debuting today as well. In it, Lombard plays a compulsive liar who 'writes' for a living. She is married to an honest lawyer, but this clearly doesn't rub off on her. She lies about a murder that she really didn't commit, which ends up furthering her career and her husband's when he decides to defend her. Since screwball comedies are largely the body of work Lombard was known for, I thought it would be fitting to make one today's Daily Cinema. You can use the Twitter tags #LombardTCM throughout the day or #atvlombard if you decide to watch the Daily Cinema. See you tomorrow!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment