Wednesday, April 9, 2014

From the Pinterest Files...



I hope you're ready to add some more things to your boards or find some new folks to follow, because it's that time again! Since I was late with all of last month's Files posts due to the sinus infection from hell, I feel like I just did all of this and now have to do it again. And I'm still missing a post, so I should probably get to that one after I'm finished here. Don't forget, if you have some good vintage Pins or boards that you'd like me to see, link me on Twitter or leave me a comment so I can check them out. I don't have anything else to add this week, so let's get started! 



Follow SmallBlackRoom's board vintage: signs on Pinterest.

I can't explain exactly why I love old signs so much, but I do. Depending on the font and type of business it is, I can usually figure out more or less what time period it was from and color me boring, but I find it so fun. I also like looking at how the style of these signs change over time. This board has over 200 signs from different years and types of buildings, but the majority of them seem to be restaurant signs. It was fun to look through. 











I was looking at some things for spring when I came across this dress. I think the color of the dress and the fact that it's polka-dotted are probably my favorite parts. Every element comes together and creates a vintage dress that I think is perfect for spring, especially around Easter. When I paid closer attention to the Pin, I realized that it was from Etsy. I swear, even when I'm trying to leave Etsy alone I keep getting dragged back. 










Follow ofbeauty's board Vintage Spring 2014, dresses + on Pinterest.

Speaking of spring, I was trying to find a board full of vintage springtime-themed cards and things, but this board came up instead. I really liked this board because it had a lot of variety in terms of the different kinds of vintage fashion that had been pinned on the board. I am guessing that the board was to focus on different vintage garments you could wear during the spring, and I'm in love with most of the pieces. There was a little of everything, from '20s flapper dresses to '70s peasant dresses and maxis. Give this board a looksie if you want a little vintage fashion inspiration for your wardrobe. 











This is a timeline of vintage fashion until 1930. I think it's an accurate timeline of how fashion has evolved over time, and it also helps when you're reading historical novels to be able to picture how said fashion probably was at that time. If you're a beginner in learning about 1800's fashion, this is a good place to start if you're doing your research, then you can branch out from the time period to find out the name of the era. I just wanted to include this because I thought it was a helpful photo. 








Follow SamiSalvail's board castles on Pinterest.

As I've mentioned before, vintage to me is about the fashion and people as much as it is about a history lesson and really exploring the time period. Something vintage could be a poodle skirt from the '50s as easily as a sword from 1100 to me. That brings me to this board chock full of castles. All of these castles have so much history and have been around for so long, combined with my fangirling over castles and medieval things, that I would plotz myself right to death being able to actually explore some of these grounds. For someone with an extremely overactive imagination that usually leaves half of my brain in a book and the other half in the clouds, looking at all of these castles is what sets the stage for a completely productiveless afternoon. 











I realize that this is a bit of a repeat Pin as I featured a stove in last month's P Files as well, but I thought this one was so beautiful, and it's larger than the one I put up last month. I usually don't care much for this color, but for some reason during spring I gravitate to it. This is a gorgeous range to me. It's almost too pretty to use. If this was yours, how would you let the color inspire the color choices for the rest of the kitchen? 










Follow JosephBrooks's board  MOD on Pinterest.

I have to admit that the mod era isn't on my top list of favorites. Late '60s going into the '70s is where my interest starts, but the beginning of the decade and the rise of the mod fashion/lifestyle isn't really where my focus is. Some of the reason for that is because other than Twiggy, the Beatles, mini-dresses, cray prints and knee-high boots, I don't know much about the time period. This board has 700+ pins on the popular fashion, musical acts and people and to me is a wonderful introduction to that period of time. I might like me some mod after all. 











Studio 54. The setting for many of my 1970s disco queen dreams. Much like the pinner of this photo, there isn't much I wouldn't have done to go to this club back in the day. In my mind, I have many a previous life, one of which is a disco queen. In my polyester/silk halter jumpsuit dreams, I'm at this club, dancing for my life any time I can. I honestly just wanted to include this photo because I love the disco scene and 54 seemed like the happening place to be during the '70s. I'm jealous that I didn't get to enjoy it. 










Follow Teresa Maddalena's board Flapper on Pinterest.

I chose this board because I thought it was a glamorous look into a couple of my favorite decades, the '20s and '30s. This board is as much a fashion board as it is a history one, as prominent figures from those decades are on this board, lessons on fashion during that time are here, and both candids & drawings of this time are on here as well. I've only seen some of the board because it's so large, but I'm looking forward to spending more time perusing it. 











This Pin is a photo showing a line of people waiting for food during The Great Depression. I thought this photo was both poignant and, well, depressing. When I think about food shortages at those levels taking place today, the results have the potential to be so much more disastrous. It must have been defeating to have to stand in that line, knowing that the day's rations could be gone by the time your turn actually comes around. I included this photo as a way of reminding myself how bad things could actually be. Not everything about vintage and 'the good ol days' was good, and this photo is a perfect representation of that. Now there are many times where food in my house just doesn't stretch for the entire month, and I'm left stressing about how to make it through that final week of the month. But there are food banks, shelters and a few relatives to rely on now whereas back then, there weren't any of those and relatives were probably suffering as well. It reminds me to stop complaining if I open the fridge and there's food, just not the food I want. It's a great reminder that things in this country have been much worse and could stand to be worse than this picture if things collapse in the same manner again. 



And on that note, the Pinterest Files for April come to a close! I'm sorry I ended this edition on such a somber note, but I wanted the last photo to be something that I don't feature often and something that had a lasting sort of effect. Unless you're just not moved by photography, I don't see how you can't look at that last photo and not think at least a little bit. This was a pretty colorful collection this time around, huh? I hope I gave you something to check out and waste some time on while you're at work (I'm a procrastinator...don't expect me to motivate you to stay on task LOL) and don't forget to join me tomorrow for TNT!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment