Wednesday, March 19, 2014

From the Etsy Files....

It's the most wonderful Wednesday of the month--Etsy time! I wanted to make festivals the sort of theme for March, playing a bit on this month's Vintage Spotlight, so a lot of this week's fashion choices will probably be bohemian and '70s related. Etsy seems like a great little corner to find all of those and more. Honestly though, it'll probably end up being a bit of a random smorgasbord because apparently, random is how I roll. Let's get started!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90446916/emerald-green-rhinestone-vintage?ref=related-0
Vintage Emerald Green and Rhinestone Medallion Wedding Sash, $95
I included the close-up photo of the sash rather than how it looks as a whole because I'm in love with the actual medallion. It has this really old, antique look to it that I'd picture on the bride in any of my medieval romance novels. It just has this look to it that seems like it has a lot of history behind it. I also think it'd be a great shoo-in for the "something old" part of the whole wedding tradition business. It looks versatile as well; it would give some vintage flair to a number of wedding dresses. I think it would also make a sweet piece for a statement headband. 
Hippie-Style Daisy Headband Crown, $17.50
I've been wanting a daisy or flower crown headband, and not just for festival time, but for daily wear. I know it sounds weird, but headbands like this make me happy. They lift my spirits and put me in a more playful mood. But I'd wear the hell out of this at an outdoor show or festival too, don't get me wrong. I'd rather DIY them than pay $18 for just one, but if nothing else I can use this as inspiration. 
Upcycled Vintage Boho Cowboy Boots, $225
I adore the hell out of these boots. They're so fun and festive and would look hot with a pair of denim cutoffs and a white top. The boots aren't vintage so much as the things they were upcycled with; they give the boots a sort of bohemian glam appearance that would fit right in at an outdoor event. They've got personality and I like that. I never would have thought that various pieces of different belts tied around a pair of cowboy boots would result in something that looks this cute. It probably wouldn't have ever even crossed my mind. I'm dying for these boots, man. I'm a born and bred Texas girl and feel like I'm not being true to my roots by not owning at least one pair of cowboy boots anyway, so I need these or I'll be a faux Texan. See how far I'm willing to stretch my reasoning so I can have them? lol 
Emerald Jewel Renaissance-Era Costume Pendant Necklace, $26
Even though its just costume jewelry, this piece, much like the medallion, also sings to me. It, to me, seems very well made as I can easily picture this being on another one of my medieval or 1800-era heroines. It reeks of having a lot of history behind it, much like the medallion, despite being costume jewelry. You can even select the type of finish you'd like your piece to have, which I think helps with giving it a more authentic, vintage appearance. I prefer this piece just the way it is. 
Hippie Lace Collage Gown, $1050
When I first started writing my description for this item, I gave you all a peek into my crazy mind because I immediately envisioned exactly how I'd wear this wedding dress. No, this doesn't necessarily fit into the mind of festival because it's obviously a wedding dress. But it has the same mentality that I approach festival fashions with; something fuss-free, loose and breezy. I love the collage style of the fabrics used to make this dress, I'm in love with the straps on the dress, but the detailing going down the side is probably my favorite. 
Steampunk/Medieval Blouse, $138.76
I wouldn't wear this to a modern-day music festival, but I'd definitely wear it to a vintage/ren faire themed event. If you're a fan of medieval-style vintage things like I am, then you know that Etsy is a wonderful place to find awesome pieces of clothing like this. I loved the shop I got this blouse from because all the pieces are era-accurate and well-made. I think there's a bit of versatility with this blouse because you could make this a steampunk, a Victorian, or a medieval styled outfit and have a bit of authenticity with each one. And what about the silhouette that top creates, right? Love it. 
White Hippie Crochet Crop Top Halter, $37.90
I remain firm in my opinion that in general, I don't have an overwhelming love for crochet fashion, but the funny thing is that despite said declaration, I keep finding crocheted things that I really like. Take this crop top, for example. I'd get an awesome tan in it, for one, and it'll look good with both the denim cutoffs and cowboy boots I featured earlier in this post. It also looks comfortable and thankfully, my girls will be completely covered. The last thing I (or any female, really) need is a conveniently placed crocheted hole in the chest area. That detailing would quickly turn this into a Mardi Gras top, not a festival one. lol 
'70s Sheer Gauze Maxi Dress, $72
So unless you've got a nudist fetish or simply don't care about showing off the goods, you're obviously going to need to wear something underneath this maxi dress. I guess that's where your sense of individuality would come in. What color would you wear underneath? Would you wear the undergarment like a slip, or would you go with separates? I think this also fits in with festival fashion because it still has that free feeling about it but it's a full dress. I love the sleeves and the light ruffling going around the top half. 
'70s Hooded Knit Fringe Poncho Sweater, $48
This piece of outerwear (by the way, what would you call this? A hoodie, poncho or sweater?) is better for those chilly nights during festival season, where I heard the temp drops considerably from the intense heat during the day. If you're camping out or just staying out late at night, I think this is a warm, fashionable piece that won't stick out like a sore thumb but won't leave you to the elements. I know many people at these festivals sacrifice their warmth for fashion in many cases, but I'm not one of them. Just get sweaters or jackets that still fit in with the theme of your outfit and are versatile, and you're fine. This piece is in excellent condition, with very minor damage on the back. I'd wear it in a heartbeat. 
http://www.etsy.com/listing/102694794/renaissance-victorian-dress-gown?ref=shop_home_active_18
Renaissance Victorian Dress with
Bodice, $387.45
I saw this while I was looking at costume jewelry and I knew that if I didn't feature this, I'd disappoint the Victorian maiden living somewhere in my head. I also had to feature it because I've been either playing or thinking about Skyrim and I've had medieval on my mind. But in addition to summer being outdoor festival season, it's also renaissance fair season and some of them have dances, from what I've read. I've been checking out different shops that I could buy costumes to attend a fair in. This would be a wonderful costume at many events, whether it be a fall/winter renaissance faire (it looks a bit too heavy to wear for an outdoor ren faire in the middle of summer), a masquerade ball, or for a really dramatic Halloween costume. I can see being a Victorian-era vampire in this dress with a huge mass of curls stacked on my head and a gothic-themed statement necklace or fan for accessories. I think the pairing of the black and red gives it that bit of gothic flair that I love and with those feathers around the neck, you have to go big or go home. A Victorian-era vampire is probably a stereotypical choice, but guess who doesn't care? This girl. 
This month, I've had three things on my mind. Firstly, my sinus infection from hell (which is what got me so far behind in posting all of my Files posts from this month) which lasted just about the entire month, then festivals and medieval stuff. I have no idea where my head is, but that's what's been consuming my mind when I go looking for fashion for my Files posts. I hope this post inspired at least a small detour into different sorts of fashion for you! 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment