Wednesday, February 26, 2014

From the Amazon Files....

Here we are, already at the end of February and our next edition of From the Amazon Files! I have to admit, this month was not easy on me with embedding these photos and trying to come up with different things to feature every week, but it was fun nonetheless. This edition wasn't quite as varied and random as the others usually are; I was on an Old World/Victorian kick this week so there aren't too many of my regulars in terms of fashion or accessories. I still hope you enjoy!




Rosallini Antique Embossed Wood Case Box, $7.43
I saw this antique-styled jewelry box and thought it was so beautiful. I've liked antique jewelry boxes for as long as I can remember. It's probably my overactive imagination; I read way too many fantasy books as a kid and too many historical/supernatural books as an adult. Antique jewelry boxes, antique chests, and old keys are some of my very favorite things partially because of the treasure I'm always convinced is hidden in the trick lining. I have yet to find said treasure, but I'm eternally hopeful. It's the dreamer in me. 








Classical-Styled Trumpet Horn Turntable, $248.99

This is a more modern trumpet horn turntable as it has FM/AM radio capabilities, but I still want it. I first saw one of these when I was a kid on an episode of Little House on the Prairie. The original didn't have all of the features that this one boasts, but I appreciate that it's styled in homage to the old school ones but maintains modern capabilities. This turntable has CD & cassette as well as USB connections in addition to the radio. There's even a wireless remote. I love this. 


http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Home-Portrait-Decorative-Accessory/dp/B004L9KVG4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QPRNGR55X01ADTBAFAS
Sterling Home Portrait Camera
Accessory, $48

This is an accessory piece based on the real thing, but I still like it. As I've mentioned in a couple of other "From the ..." posts, I'm a huge fan of photography in general, but I have a soft spot for vintage equipment. I've always wished I was old enough when these styles of cameras were still popular, so I could have some old guy with a wonderful eye under a sheet, taking my photo with one of these. This would be a good piece to put in a photography studio; it's a cute prop. 
http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Century-World-Poster-Print/dp/B00AHAMLYG/ref=sr_1_21?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1393295664&sr=1-21&keywords=vintage
17th Century World Map Poster, $4

I don't know if this map necessarily counts as vintage and although I'd really love an original map drawn like this from the 17th century, this replica will have to do. It's gorgeous though. My dream house has a library, which is fully designed and decorated....in my mind of course. And in said library, there's a map just like this, either on the wall or on my desk.
 




Old World Book Box Collection Set, $49

While on the subject of my dream library, I think some Old World-styled books like this box collection set would fit in splendidly. I wouldn't know what to put in the box, and now that I'm thinking on it there are so many things you can do with these boxes. I saw a lamp once that had a stack of books as the base and you can certainly do that with these book boxes since they're already hollowed out, you can use them for small storage, or you can use them as fake-out books on a shelf. I don't care how I'd use them, I want them.




Vogue Patterns V8789 Misses/Petites Dress & Cummerbund,
$12.55
It would be fantastico if I could sew these patterns for some dresses. I wasn't aware before that women sewed more detailed dresses like these at home. Day dresses, maybe. Nightgowns, sure. But I always thought dresses like this were bought or sewn professionally because of the detailing. So to know that I could sew this dress too with the right equipment is pretty super. A sewing machine has been on my wishlist for eons, and what better way to break it in than by teaching myself how to sew one of these beauties? From what the picture looks like, I think these are meant to be worn with a petticoat but I wonder how they look without it. 
$9.80 Kindle, $10.32 Paperback
I'm a lover of knowledge. When I get into something, I really absorb myself in it and I honestly find that to be one of the most fun parts of finding a new interest or hobby. I've been reading historical books nearly all of my life, and the fashion has consistently been one of my favorite parts. I wasn't aware that a book like this had been made but now that I know, I fully intend to buy it when I decide to get myself a few splurge gifts. 




Hardcover $25.80, Paperback $13.66
While on the topic of Victorian-era literature, I found this one in the 'Customers Who Bought..." section and had to include it because I think it could be an interesting read. I have made it abundantly clear by now that the Victorian time period is probably in my top 5 favorite eras. It's a no-brainer that I'm going to jump at the opportunity to take a peek at what domestic life was like during that time. It seems like it's educational, it has high reviews so it must be accurate on the various areas of life that it covers, and I'm ready to read about it all.



'20s-'30s Beach Pyjamas Pattern,
$16.95
I'd never heard of beach pyjamas before I came across this in the list of things I was searching for. According to the description, this was 'summer resort wear' and I can see that. It has a breezy, low-key vibe that's still put together and elegant; I'd definitely wear something like this during the warmer months. I like the flowing appearance of the shoulders and arms, and I love the matching ribbon for the hat. This pattern is just for the dress, though. Contrary to what the photo shows, however, the bottom is not a skirt at all but wide palazzo pants. I'm a little bummed that it's not a skirt but palazzo pants are so comfy so I guess I can deal with it. lol I think it would be fun to sew a pattern like this.




Hardcover $17.95
Hmm. I've included quite a few books this week, haven't I? I felt like I needed to include this one because if you're a fan of DIY like me or you like wearing your own fashions then this book would be perfect for you. This book teaches you how to create your own pillbox hats, half hats, bonnets and snoods, from how to cut the fabric to sewing everything together. I've never even considered making my own hat. A little fascinator accessory, sure. But never an entire hat. If I got my hands on this book, I'd end up making myself so many hats I'd probably have one for bedtime. smh


And with that, February's From the Amazon Files comes to a close. This was probably the easiest post to put together all month, but it's probably not interesting to anyone except myself. lol I have to admit, it's sort of difficult to find genuine vintage on here so I struggle a bit with clothing sometimes, but there's so much educational material on here that I feel like it should be included as well. There's much more to vintage than fashion, after all. I'm learning the strengths of each site I use for these posts, and I'm learning that Amazon's is educational material and different kinds of patterns. I might be able to work with that. Anywho, I do hope you found something enjoyable in this week's post, my apologies if you didn't. Don't forget to join me tomorrow night for the month's final TNT at our regular time and I'll be back with March's eBay Files next week!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment