Wednesday, January 15, 2014

From the Pinterest Files....



I hope you all enjoyed last week's eBay Files; I had a really fun time putting everything together. This week we're visiting Pinterest, one of my favorite sites, timewasters and places to go for inspiration. I have my own vintage-themed board named ATV (but of course) on Pinterest, but I wanted to find other vintage-themed and inspired pins and boards....and find an excuse to do this. 
LOL I want to help you do the same. As I've said before, I'm a proud Pin pusher. I want you to find new pins and boards, because finding these for this post also helped me to further my addiction, so I think this is a win-win for everyone. This can work. But anywhoodles noodles, here are this week's files! *finally! 



The creator of this board describes this as being a fashion inspiration for her and I can definitely see why. For one, its a massive board with over 6000 pins, and it is also very diverse in terms of what types of fashion is included, so even if one particular thread of fashion isn't your thing you're sure to find something that is. Cocktail dresses, summer dresses, day dresses. Ballgowns, bathing suits and overcoats. They're all on this board, and I even saw a few of the creator's own repro designs, which I also liked. This board has been an inspiration for the types of fashion I'd like to emulate as well as inspiration for the gradual increase of my saltiness about not being able to do so. LOL It's a fab board. 





2. Follow Monique Michelle's board Retro Fabulous 50s on Pinterest.
Ahh, ze '50s. I don't think there are enough words to express how much I luuuuv some '50s fashion. As I'm sure I've said before and will probably say many more times in the future, there was something so undeniably feminine and elegant about '50s fashion and I fell in love with it. I think it presented such a glamorous image, even in casual wear, and I think the more formal mentality of how to dress (cocktails, dinner, during the day, etc.) ensured that you not only got to purchase a bigger wardrobe when it was time, but it also ensured that you got to 





I love vintage print ads and this board did not disappoint me at all. I had never seen the majority of the pins on this board, so even though it's a new board and still on the smaller side for now, it still has a good amount of print ads that aren't often circulated on the 'Net. I saw all kinds of things on this board; I got to destroy my childhood by looking at Santa smoke, I learned that Scotch tape was used to assist with cutting straight bangs, and I got to see a bunch of good ol' sexism at play in the different ads that were aimed at 'the working man.' Some of these ads were terrible. They must have thought we were incapable of thinking or behaving independently of our husbands and that we should cry to ensure we got what we wanted. How dainty, right? Thank God for liberation and sarcasm. As much as I love the '40s and '50s, I'd have been a horrible housewife if those were the standards I had to hold myself to. LOL Regardless, I loved this board. 



Want some inspiration for vintage-styled hairdos? Start here. This is an extremely large board (703 pins, to be exact) so there's no shortage of sources from which to draw some ideas or pick a new style. In addition to just the photos with the hairstyles for you to look at, there are also more than a few original step by step instructionals that show you how to replicate certain 'dos. There's no shortage of variety for different time periods either; you can either look at hairstyles in their original form or with a modern twist on it as a number of today's celebrities and their interpretations of retro hairstyles are also on the board. I love it. 




I'm still convinced that I was some sort of disco queen in a past life. Or maybe that's just what I wish I'd been. I don't know yet. Either way, I'm in love with the '70s. Not as much as perhaps the '40s or '50s, but it's right up there. I just look at it as a happier decade than some others, and I think I developed that viewpoint largely because of my love for disco music and the various sitcoms that are now tv classics. This board is pretty large (600+ pins) and has a little of everything, from notable headlines during the decade to celebrities and fashion to home decor. It's a great glimpse into what I think was an awesome decade. 





If you want some inspiration for decorating your home in a more retro fashion or just like looking at photos of retro homes like I do, this is a really good board to check out. A lot of the pins are '50s inspired, but other than certain elements that help identify that some of the pins were inspired by the same time period, there's a lot of variety on the board. If you were stumped on how to bring some retro flair into your home like I was, I think this board will help a lot. 





As I've mentioned many a time on here before, I don't go with today's definition of what the 'vintage' time period consists of. When people refer to vintage, they usually mean something between 1910-1970. I think vintage encompasses so much more than just those 60 years, so when I say vintage I could mean 1650 or 1950. Which brings me to this board here, which is a really comprehensive look into medieval fashion, from different looks for both men and women to how to make your own Renaissance Fair or medieval themed dresses. There are also a few shots of medieval castles and artifacts, so if you want a crash course on what some of the medieval genre consists of, I'd start here. 




I love me some medieval fashion. In case you couldn't tell by the previous board that I shared, I love it. In one of my many former lives (lol), I fully believe that I would have and probably did take well to a medieval lifestyle. I think I've been a pirate wench, a flapper, a '40s or '50s housewife, a disco queen, a hair band groupie, and a medieval picture of beauty in former lives. LOL My imagination is overactive. Don't judge me. Moving on, this board is a great peek (500+ pins worth) into different medieval and Renaissance fashion for both men and women. Fashion from the Edwardian, Burgundian, and Victorian periods are all included, as are medieval gowns and looks from current Renaissance Faires. 





I like finding the differences between vintage lingerie and today's. This board has more than 300 photos of various women in lingerie, either advertising a company's lingerie or in candids taken for magazines. A lot of girdles, shapewear and brassieres are on this board, although the majority appear to be taken between the '40s and '50s. I saw a few items from the '20s, '30s and '60s, but most of the lingerie falls in between those time periods. If you're into things like cheesecake photos that you can take for your spouse then I think this board would be great inspiration for poses and the overall feel that you'd want your photographer to capture. 





Over the past couple of years, I've gotten more interested in vintage weddings. I've been looking, unsuccessfully, to find candid photos from weddings during certain time periods. This search was a little more difficult with the recent surge of interest in vintage-inspired things and events, but I finally hit paydirt. The only rub was that I found a few too many, and got stuck on which one to share. I chose this board by Second Twirl because it is full of candid marriage photos, so I got to see a lot of authentic wedding dresses from the time period they were taken in. However, this board by Lipstick & Curls as well as this board by Edita Rosenrot are both awesome runners-up because of the candids, different styles of dresses and different types of wedding photos. 






As always, I hope you enjoyed this week's edition of From the ...Files; Pinterest is a lot of fun but finding out how to embed these pins and/or boards so I could show them to you was a little bitch. LOL By the way, if I featured your board or pin on here this week and you'd rather I not do so, email me and I will remove it. Reluctantly, because if it was on here then it's likely that it was the bomb dot com, but I'll remove it nonetheless. Putting together this post was so much fun after the embedding debacle was over, and I can't wait to do it again next month. I hope you found some new boards to follow today. Catch you next week as we visit another of my addictions.....the wonderful world of Etsy!


Counting down the days until I have a valid excuse to surf Etsy all day,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment