Monday, September 14, 2015

TNT Preview: Demetrius and the Gladiators

Hi! How was your weekend? This week we're going to be watching the 1954 drama Demetrius and the Gladiators, which is a sequel to the 1953 epic The Robe

Wikipedia

This film starts after Diana and Marcellus' execution, and even though the Robe is now being held for safekeeping, the emperor Caligula has other plans for it, as he intends to finds it and use it to increase his power. Marcellus' former slave catches wind of Caligula's plan to find the Robe, however, but on his quest to prevent Caligula from getting to the Robe finds himself in over his head. Susan Hayward plays Messalina, Caligula's aunt, and after being sentenced to the fighting arena, and ends up serving as a temptation to Demetrius, whose faith has taken a severe hit since being imprisoned. TCM doesn't have this film rated too highly; Leonard Maltin described it as being 'hokey' so this doesn't set my hopes up too high. I also haven't seen The Robe so I wonder if that'll have any effect on my opinion of the sequel. Here's the trailer:




Demetrius and the Gladiators will be on at our normal TNT time of 8pm EST this Thursday. Here's where you can stream the movie online:

Vudu ($2.99) | Amazon ($2.99)

I hope you'll be watching along with me and I'll see you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment