Wednesday, January 1, 2014

TNT Preview: The Unknown/Our Dancing Daughters

This week's TNT is all about silents. As I mentioned in my last post, TCM chose Joan Crawford to be January's Star of the Month, so we'll be treated to her wide array of movies throughout this month. Our first Double Feature is a night of silents. 

The first movie is 1927's The Unknown
This chiller centers around a killer on the lam who resorts to hiding out in a circus troupe masquerading as a sideshow performer's armless wonder. I've seen silent comedies and I've seen silent dramas, but I've never seen a silent thriller before. Have any of you? I've never even heard of this movie, but the brief review on TCM says that it's rather bizarre, even for the director's standards, so I'm guessing he normally did things that were out of the norm for the '20s. However, that was almost 100 years ago and most things that were considered taboo or odd back then are no longer taboo or odd now. I'm ready to check it out for myself. Here's a brief trailer:



The second movie is 1928's Our Dancing Daughters. 
This silent drama is about two young women who set their sights on the same man. The man ends up marrying the friend with few morals and ignoring our protagonist (Crawford). This is said to be the movie that gave Joan Crawford her big break, and when I noticed that Anita Page played the part of Joan's best friend in this movie I was really interested in seeing the dynamic. I coudln't find a good trailer, but here's a clip of  one of the dances in the movie, the Jazz Foxtrot. This movie takes place during the Jazz Age; the main character is a flapper. I love reading about the Jazz Age. Here's the clip:


If you want to catch the Unknown, it'll be on at 8pm EST. Our Dancing Daughters will be on immediately afterward, at 9pm EST. 

Channel Listings:
Dish--132
DirecTV--256
AT&T U-verse--796
The Unknown: Netflix | Vudu | Amazon Instant
Our Dancing Daughters: Netflix | Vudu | Amazon Instant


Hope you'll be joining me for this year's first TNT!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment