Tuesday, May 15, 2018

#ATVCelebrates Asian Heritage Month: Asian Vintage Community Directory


Hi! Today I'm introducing a new series today called ATV Celebrates. I was inspired by Black History Month and I mentioned a few times that I'd like to do a similar type of celebration for other cultures and lifestyles. ATV Celebrates is my way of bringing attention to other walks of life that don't personally pertain to me. There's another ATV Celebrates coming up next month for Pride, but I'm kicking off the series with Asian Heritage. 

Asian Heritage Month is celebrated during the month of May, and from the bit of research I did I thought it only pertained to Asian-Americans, but I see Asians from different countries celebrating it as well so I'm not entirely sure. Correct me if I'm wrong though; I admit I haven't been researching it very long and wasn't sure which was correct. I've seen it celebrated in both April and May. I had to figure out a way to celebrate Asian Heritage in a way that was both inoffensive but still true to ATV, so I borrowed from my BHS Extra when I featured the Black vintage community (go check that out if you haven't seen it) and feature the Asian vintage community this time around. I saw when I was doing the Black community post that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage community at large, but when I break it down into individual ethnicities it is an even more eye-opening experience. I don't often pay attention to how many people of each ethnicity are doing something that I enjoy; if I'm being honest I'm a bit more aware now because of the times we're in, but it's not something I set out to find. If there are people who look like me doing what I like, then cool. If there aren't, that's cool too. But when I do make a point to find certain ethnicities doing the same thing, it's always something I want to share. I hope those of Asian heritage who stumble upon this post will have the pride I felt when I was looking through the Black community post back in February, and even if you don't have any Asian heritage I hope you enjoy this post as much as I enjoyed putting it together!


Pinups

Now as I mentioned in the Black vintage directory, many of the pinups and burlesque dancers do both. I just placed them in the category that they displayed the most on their pages. I owe a huge thanks to Asian Pinups (@asianpinupgirls) because I was able to get most of the names from their page. Let's get to the list!


The Buxom Bunny (@thebuxombunny)


Trixie Von Mayhem (@trixievonmayhem)


Lavinia Darling (@drippingmilkandhoney)


Sukki (@sukkisingapora)


Lahar Glam (@laharglam)


Bianca Bella Rouge (@biancabellarouge)

A post shared by Bianca Bella Rouge (@biancabellarouge) on

Stephie Danger (@stephiedanger)


Larissa (@msgothabilly)


Sugar Moon (@sugar_pinup)


Miss Alice Meow (@missalicelovelarrynthosecats)

A post shared by ᴍɪss ᴀʟɪᴄᴇ ᴍᴇᴏᴡ (@missalicelovelarrynthosecats) on

Miss Lissa Lee (@misslissalee)


Cece Bombshell (@cece_bombshell)


Miss Jessi Marie (@themissjessimarie)


Sunny (@mysmoonysun)


Winny (@misswinny1)

Mandy's Note: This woman is a f*king knockout. And her feed is ALL of the business. 

A post shared by winny (@misswinny1) on

Ellie (@elliexmariee)


Delicious Ruckus (@delicious_ruckus)


Elly Violet Lee (@ellyvioletlee)

Let's drink strawberry champagne on a big pink cloud together 💋 -- 🍓Photographer/Hair: Miss Missy Photography @missmissyphoto . . . . ♡ MISSMISSYPHOTOGRAPHY.NET ♡ . . 🍓Make up/model: myself 🍓Wardrobe: provided by photographer. Lingerie: @ragoshapewear, Robe: @catherinedlish, Heels: Bordello (my own) -- I did this shoot on Sunday and this shoot is so special to me. I got to meet Missy for the first time and she is such a sweetheart. I adore and admire her so much. We had an amazing heart to heart the whole night before the shoot as she did my hair and after the shoot as I got my stuff together. Something about having a deep conversation while getting your hair done by a friend is such a lovely bonding experience. She is so talented and such a pure soul. I love that we completely understood each other and openly talked about the harshness of life with such ease, I truly feel like I made a friend. I have been on an unintentional hiatus because life has been a rollercoaster and I have been so busy. I feel really inspired to do my best to get out of this hiatus. It's like once you are in it, it is so hard to get out of it. #ellyvioletlee #missmissyphotography #pink #model #photography #prettyinpink #princess #pinkchampagne #strawberrymilk #pinup #pinupgirl #vintage #retro #burlesque #glamour #lingerie #rago #ragoshapewear #girlygirl #burlesque #hearttoheart #mariethearistocat #queenofpink
A post shared by elly violet lee 👑 (@ellyvioletlee) on

Masuimi Max (@masuimimax)

Mandy's Note: A f*king queen. I've been a quiet stan of hers for years. 


Satomi (@satomi_s.elco)


Maila Cobwebs (@maila_cobwebs)


Wild Tiger Woman! (@wildtigerwoman)


Lynda Trang Nguyen (@lyndatn)


Lee Ming (@leeeeming)

Mandy's Note: IN. LOVE. with her feed!


Timebomb Tina (@timebombtinaofficial)


Miss Sai (@misssai.pinup)


Yael Yahael (@missyayasd)


Mara Chino (@likethecherries)


Kasumi Psycho/Psycho Apparel (@kasumipsycho)

A post shared by PSYCHO APPAREL (@kasumipsycho) on

Cat Tran (@addicted2trioxin)


Leslye Rox (@leslyerox)


Kristen Au (@kristen.au.model)

Can “Versatility” be my “Niche” 🤔?!! . As a model, an artist, I pose for more than one genre and I pride myself for my versatility, however I might be lacking a clear “branding”...... 🤭 . Most Instagram experts say it’s better to keep your feed as relevant to your niche as possible, the narrower your niche the better. Further more, there should be some cohesiveness to the overall colour scheme in your feed... because this is when viewers want to click the “follow” button. . However my goal is to have my viewer to see how versatile I am. I want you to see a variety of colours, black and white, different poses, expressions, full body shots, portraits... etc. . What do you prefer? 🤔 . While Art Nude is probably my strongest genre...... . Here’s some Classic #PinUp with an #Oriental Twist 😘💛 - photography by @myshotinthedark 📸 . . . . . #kristenau #pinupmodel #pinupgirl #asianpinupgirl #pinuplook #pinuplove #pinupworship #pinupbible #pinupdoll #pinupqueen #pinupbeauty #pinupbabes #orientalgirl #chinesegirl #asianmodel #asianlady #asianwoman #yellowfever #umbrella #paperumbrella #chineseumbrella #silkrobe #kimono #kimonofashion #japanesekimono #geisha #和服 #芸者
A post shared by Kristen Au (@kristen.au.model) on

pinopink (@pino_pink)


Natasha Noir (@natasha.noir)


Jade Vixen (@jade_vixen)

Ms. Bangkok Bunny (@msbangkokbunny)



Burlesque

Marianne Cheesecake (@mariannecheesecake)


KittenMinx LaFemme (@kittenminx)


Elena Lee (@elennlee)


Joy Rider (@joyridermtl)


Vegan Pole Dancer (@vegan.pole.dancer)


Calamity Chang (@calamitychang)

*Mandy's Note: It was reading about the Asian Burlesque show on Calamity's feed that inspired me to create this post and by extension, the ATV Celebrates series so I actually owe her a big thanks--especially if this series takes off! Unfortunately, I am but a mere peasant so I can't talk to her. In case it's not obvious, I love this woman. lol 


ChiChi Roniz (@chichironiz)


KitKat Marie (@lilbitofkitkat)


Gigi Surreal (@gigisurreal)


Silly Thanh (@silly_thanh)


Frankie Fictitious (@frankiefictitious)

✨SACRAMENTO✨ I'm coming your way with @shannon_brooke and @genuineporcelain 💖 #Repost @shannon_brooke ・・・ Sacramento! @frankiefictitious will be performing during my #vroombyshannonbrooke book signing @bluelampsacramento Aug 27th! Doors 5pm, event ends promptly at 8pm. See you there! 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥 This was shot last month at a very careful and purposeful time of day. Everyone was so patient with me waiting for the exact moment to take this photo. Massive thank you to my assistant @ccccccarlossssss and a huge shout out to my girl @madamepomp for volunteering to drive from 7 hours away to do Frankie's hair for this. #frankiefictitious is, of course, Miss Viva Las Vegas 20. (She's a big deal!) #missvlv20 #missvivalasvegas Her Chinese Lion is played by @whatareyoureallysaying who performs this act with her, and they also won Best Small Group at @burlesquehall #bhof2017 💥💥💥 #vlv20 #missvivalasvegas #asianburlesque #sanfrancisco #bhof2017
A post shared by Frankie Fictitious (@frankiefictitious) on

Lou on the Rocks (@lou_ontherocks)

A post shared by Lou on The Rocks (@lou_ontherocks) on

Lucky Rapscallion (@lucky_rapscallion)


DiLovely (@missdilovely)

Happy #TIKItuesday 🥥 It may be chilly in #AUSTIN today but it will be all fun and #laughs tonight at @ah_sing_den. 👑Join me and my Tiki Queen sisters @rubyjoule & @joliegoodnight for a drink or three! 🍹🍹🍹@tikioasis . . . 📸by @susanavestige 👑 Huge thanks to the #SanDiego Glam Squad 💇🏽‍♀️ @madisonjanehair 💄@blushingladies 👙@dottiedeville & 🌺 @thepetalhut for putting together this fine piece of a #TikiGoddess! ☺️ Honored to be standing among the beautiful @tikibosko #tikiart exclusively made for @theheadhuntersd 🗿 . . . #MissTikiOasis2017 #pinaypineappleprincess #misstikio #misstikioasis #MissTikiOTour #MissTikiOontheGo #misstikioasisonthego #tikiqueen #asianpinup #pinupgirl #tikipinup #tikimodern #asianburlesque #tikioasis #tikio #tiki #styledbydottie #browngirl #tanskin #legs #pinupsofcolor #vintage #vintagestyle #photography
A post shared by DiLovely 💙 Miss Tiki Oasis 🌺 (@missdilovely) on

Phoenix A'Blaze (@phxablaze)


Shanghai Sizzle (@shanghaisizzle)


Kalani Kokonuts (@kalanikokonuts)


Kitty KaPowww (@kittykapowww)


Mena Mae (@miss_mena_mae)


Coco Ono (@coco.ono)

A post shared by Coco Ono (@coco.ono) on


Agent Wednesday (@agentwednesday)


Kenjai (@kenjaibootygoddess)


Evelyn (@evelynlovesjacob)


Bang Bang Von Loola (@bangbangvonloola)


Kitana Louise (@kitanalouise)


Crocodile Lightning (@crocodilelightning)


Ruby Corvette (@ruby_corvette)

What better way to celebrate reaching 700 followers than with this announcement from @missburlesquequeensland 💖 ・・・ Get to know your Queensland State Finalists! Start your engines and get em revving for Ruby Corvette! Ruby describes herself as an "exotic vintage vixen" who draws upon her family's Chinese heritage as inspiration. She's featured as a pinup in "That Pinup" as one of “7 Asian Pinups that will have you clicking the follow button” as well as @pinup_life_magazine 2017 Diversity Issue. Ruby has only been performing burlesque for two years but brings 15 years of tap training to many of Brisbane's best burly stages including regular favourites @vanguardburlesque, Sunday Night Burlesque at @thepressclubbrisbane , @curves_claws as well as a number of @bombshellburlesque showcases. Last year she kittened for the Miss Burlesque Queensland Gala Showcase and this year she's taking centre stage! Photography from Queensland Gold Sponsor @ktbsaysrelax #asianburlesque #asianpinupgirls #burlesque #burlesque #brisbaneburlesque
A post shared by Ruby Corvette (@ruby_corvette) on

Nettie Boom (@nettieboom)


Ms. B LaRose (@ms.b.larose)

Enthusiasts

Celina Nguyen (@asianvonteese)


Kitty Antix (@kittyantix)


Miss Lily Laurent (@misslilylaurent)


A Miss Called Vicky (@afelineofspectre)

Just realized it was Asian Pacific Month! My bad! 😛 I always thought it was March - too many months to keep up with. I’ve met many amazing pinups who identify as Asian American both in person and on Insta. I got into pinup and pinup modeling just as a means to express my weird self. 😋 however I had no idea that I just by being visible, that I’d also provide representation for Asians (and filipinx alike) in a scene and aesthetic normally dominated by a specific style. And I didn’t want to be pigeonholed as an Anna Mae Wong either...though i would like to do a shoot inspired by her...ideas in the making... 👗: @stopstaringclothing A Maker Upper: @featheredflashphoto #pinup #asianpinup #pinupgirl #pinupmodel #pinupfashion #pinupstyle #dapper #posh #retro #retrostyle #vintage #vintageAF #pinupfashion #retrofashion #oldhollywood #1930s #1940s
A post shared by A Miss Called Vicky (@afelineofspectre) on

Tillywinkle Dinmore (@demonpuff)

A post shared by Tillywinkle Dinmore (@demonpuff) on

Darcy (@darcy_cherry)

A post shared by darcy (@darcy_cherry) on

Steffi Straycat (@steffistraycat)

A post shared by 🕸 Steffi Straycat 🕸 (@steffistraycat) on

Gerri (@missannamei)

Mandy's Note: Gerri is a published pinup, but I think pinup has taken a temporary backseat while she focuses on being a mama. She still dresses with a vintage flair, so I've put her in the Enthusiast category


Genice Grace (@genicegrace)

A post shared by Genice Grace (@genicegrace) on

Sheena (@spunky.lamoore)

A post shared by Sheena (@spunky.lamoore) on

As I'm doing with the Black vintage directory, I'm going to update this list as I find new names and I'm eventually going to get around to alphabetizing it. By the time I realized I hadn't done that with this list, I was already 75% of the way through so it was either alphabetize it then at the cost of my sanity (I've been working on this for days), or wait until I add more names...and have had time to re-collect myself. lol Also as I mentioned with my first directory list, there are undoubtedly some names I left off the list and some of that is because the profiles are private. If the profiles are private it's likely for a reason and I respect that, so I leave them off until or if the pages become public. 

Anyway, I had the greatest time putting this list together. Let's start by sharing some things I noticed. There is a lot of what I call 'street pinup,' which is basically what I call the vintage answer to traditional streetwear styled fashion. Speaking of style, there was a bunch of versatility in the context that many of the models didn't solely do pinup and some didn't even primarily do pinup, which I loved. There was so much high fashion, so many artistic shots, but at the same time so much variety in the types of burlesque and pinup I saw...and a ton of tattoos 😍. The Asian culture as a whole is so wide-spread and as a fellow POC, it's important that we show our visibility, our individual histories and heritages, and we show our awesome, barrier-breaking, stereotype-ending takes on vintage and how we choose to wear it. Asian culture in general seems so ripe in history, and I loved seeing how different people paid tribute to their backgrounds through their photo shoots and performances. I also saw a lot of alt pinups while I was creating this list, and I finally got to feature a couple of names I'd left out of my Alt Pinup month a couple of years back. This was a really cool experience for me and it was a way to celebrate something that I don't have personal ties to but respect immensely. I love culture and history in general, LOVE learning about different Asian cultures, but I don't want anything I say or do to come off disrespectfully. This was the best way I could come up with that contributes positively to the exposure of fellow POC but doesn't negatively contribute to cultural appropriation or minimizing. So I hope that even though I'm not Asian my creating this post doesn't offend anyone; I promise it wasn't the intention. Not even a little. I've blabbed enough. I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you soon!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment