Saturday, May 14, 2016

Shops to Follow on Instagram: Alt Vintage Shops & Brands


Hi! We're doing two Instagram features for this month's theme, and the first one revolves around different brands that cater to the alternative retro style. One thing I like about indie brands is that they're often a mix of alternative and regular vintage clothing, but it's not often that I run across clothing brands that are exclusive to alternative vintage. Most of these accounts are for shops that carry a number of boutique vintage brands, so it's pretty likely that you'll find a few items that overlap in some of the shops. Either way, hope you enjoy!


1. Infectious Threads (@infectiousthreads)

Avatrix Corset Top #infectiousthreads #goth #gothic #steampunk #altclothes #alternative

See this Instagram photo by @infectiousthreads * 71 likes
Infectious Threads is definitely for the horrorbillies and gothabillies, as this has a very gothic-inspired feel to it. The Steampunk-themed top in the photo above is far and above my favorite, but I'd say this gothic underbust corset makes a strong case. I'm not really into occult or Satanic-themed clothing, but for those who are this is a pretty awesome shop. The IG feed hasn't been updated in some time, but the website itself is still functional so you should still be able to place orders. 






2. Demented Couture (@dementedcouture)

Demented Couture is a newer brand, this one specifically for horror buffs/horrorbillies and gothabillies because the jewelry all plays off of the spooky theme. I like spooky little details on an outfit and I'm that boob who likes 'themes' (clearly, or I wouldn't do a different one here every month lol) so I'd buy every conceivable Halloween/horror-related accessory, waiting for October so I can break 'em all out. lol I know these are necklaces, but wouldn't they make a badass pair of earrings as well?






3. Roadkill Ranch (@roadkill_ranch)

While I was going through Roadkill Ranch's feed, I saw that this shop appeals to a number of vintage interests; I couldn't classify it as strictly vintage or strictly alternative because there's a bit of everything. I thought this clown-printed dress was a good example of the blend I saw in the shop as well as a blend in styles as the polka dot accents veer more toward rockabilly, while the clown print is obviously psychobilly. There are also some boho-themed items in the shop, which I definitely wasn't expecting. What I like is that the styling of the clothing differs from photo to photo in a way that best captures the garment rather than styling for the theme of the shop. Maybe that's a geeky thing to notice about a shop's feed, but that kind of stuff makes a difference to me. 






4. Trash Monkey (@trashmonkey_official)

Trash Monkey appeals to all areas of alternative fashion, so alt vintage like rockabilly will be covered here as well. The shop seems like a mix of modern and vintage but you'll have to scroll down a little to get to the latter. I love this shop because it seems a bit like a throwback to my childhood in the '90s. OAN, as a Care Bears fan, I love that there are so many related fashion items available for sale. 






5. Beserk (@beserk)

Sourpuss Pit Bulls Lizzie Dress features cute little puppy heads with sugar skull painting, spiderwebs and hearts! Shop here >> www.beserk.com.au/pit-bulls-lizzie-dress

See this Instagram photo by @beserk * 940 likes
I'm quite surprised that I love this shop as much as I do, because naturally my tastes are more towards rockabilly. Beserk has a lot of items available for the psychobilly & gothabilly enthusiasts, although their shop isn't quite as dark as similar shops I came across. Many of the items still have a vintage flair or structure but play up on the kitsch themes that both subcultures like to employ. The shop doesn't seem to take itself too seriously in terms of styling the items for sale, and everything is still visually pleasing, even for someone like myself who isn't naturally drawn to the style. 






6. Lucky 13 Apparel (@lucky13apparel)

"Gas Tank" short sleeve work shirt. Only available on Lucky13.com

See this Instagram photo by @lucky13apparel * 245 likes
I wanted to make sure to include a few rockabilly fashions for men, mainly because it isn't often that I get to talk about vintage for men in general. This brand, Lucky 13 Apparel, brings attention to men's rockabilly through their line of bowling and retro-inspired tees.  






7. Inspired Insanity (@inspired.insanity)

Sizes 8 and 12 still available in our gorgeous Death moth print swing dress!

See this Instagram photo by @inspired.insanity * 9 likes
This dress is more for the gothabilly crowd with the death moth print, but I like that it was done on a swing dress. Inspired Insanity is a larger brand that carries a number of boutique vintage brands, like Hell Bunny, Steady Clothing, and the brand of the next company on this list, Banned Apparel. This Australian-based company has more items that cater to rockabilly and its subcultures, but there are also a few items in there for the gal who just likes vintage. 






8. Banned Apparel (@bannedapparel)

Our New Romantics Collection. ❤🍒❤ Check with your Banned Apparel retailer for stock. ❤🍒❤🍒 #bannedapparel #skirt #retro #vintage #vintageshop #vintagestyle #womensfashion #instafashion #ootd #rocknroll #rockabella #rockabilly #fashion #style #fashionblogger #styleblogger #pinup #victoryroll #1950s #fifties #cardigan #shoes #instashoes #retrofashion #cherries #makeupbag #ladiesfashion #ss16 #collection

See this Instagram photo by @bannedapparel * 107 likes
Banned Apparel is another company that carries repro boutique brands on the site, and it seems to be a healthy blend of rockabilly and its subcultures. I chose this dress because it was more rockabilly, it had a lighter theme than many of the other items on the list, and...well, I just liked it. lol I like that Banned Apparel, like Inspired Insanity, is a larger store that appeals to so many different tastes all while still representing the vintage community. I really like when larger stores/brands are inclusive of subcultures because then more people like me, who are not in the know, can find them and learn more about the style. 






9. Angry Young and Poor (@angryyoungandpoordotcom)

Angry Young and Poor is a brand that I'd say is more for the psychobilly community, which brings me to these Doc Martens for men. For normal rockabilly wear, most men wear creeper shoes, but for the psychobilly crowd they get amped up to boots like these. I love the detailing on these shoes and even though I'm not a punk fan, I kinda wish I was because I really like this shop. There are rockabilly and vintage items for sale in the shop, but there's tons more punk and rock. If you're into cloth patches, jacket pins and other badass punk accessories, go check out AYP.  






10. Daddy-O's (@daddyosclothing)

Daddy-O's is another retro clothing brand that I wanted to include because of the offerings for men. Bowling and greaser shirts are a large part of the rockabilly male's wardrobe, and this site has quite a few for sale. Something that I really like about this company is that it's family-owned and operated, because for me it personalizes the experience a bit. Daddy-O's also sells some really cute clothes for women and children (peep the adorable shirt for a father and son matching session) and I recommend giving the shop a gander. 






*Extra: Liquor Brand Clothing (@liquorbrandclothing)

#liquorbrand #liquorbrandclothing #streetwear #rocknrollclothing #retroblouse

See this Instagram photo by @liquorbrandclothing * 37 likes
Liquor Brand appeals to the retro and rock communities, and I chose this shirt because it includes a few of the design elements that rockabilly and its subcultures are known for. Some of the clothing options are a bit darker, which I'd say would appeal to the gothabilly and psychobilly subcultures. I really like the simplicity of how the feed is put together as well as the styling of the items on the feed. 




It was a little bit harder than I expected to find shops that fit in with alternative vintage. Some have the 'alt vintage' term but didn't really fit the vintage aesthetic so it looked like I was just including modern alt clothes. I'm really concerned with trying to learn and explain the rockabilly culture correctly but I freely admit to knowing little to nothing about it, so I'm sorry if I stumble along the way. 

With that said, this post may not produce a lot of relevant information for those already in the rockabilly lifestyle or that of any of the subcultures within it, so I also apologize if these companies were already familiar to you. I wasn't able to feature all of the shops that I found as this post is late enough as it is, but when I revisit this theme sometime in the future I'll make sure to include them. As always, I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll talk to you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment