Sunday, April 19, 2015

Vintage Shops on Instagram p.1



Hi all! Now in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not the biggest fan of social media. I only use Twitter when I'm bored, don't have to work too hard to condense my thoughts into 140 characters, and when I have a post to promote. Live-tweeting TNT is fun, but only when you aren't talking to yourself. lol Now that I've discontinued that, I'm usually only on there when I'm promoting a blog post for ATV or playing the quiet lurk game with wrestlers. Don't judge me. Anyway, I hardly ever bother with Facebook, which is why even if my blogs become popular I doubt I'll ever open pages for them there.  I barely check my personal page so I don't see much point in creating another page that I probably won't give my full attention to. I didn't see the appeal of Instagram but finally broke down and created an account last year. To date, I've posted exactly 28 photos since I signed up last January, not counting the jazzy photo you see above that I put up on there earlier to promote this post. I tried to do a 365-day Photo Challenge on there last year to get myself out of that bubble and take more photos, but I'd already failed by Day 6. LOL 

Me, when trying to find reasons apart from my blogs
to post on most social media sites. lol 
My lack of attention to IG isn't intentional, I just usually don't remember to put something on Instagram after I take a picture of it. I don't feel a need to share what I believe is a very uninteresting personal life, and as a result when something happens to me, good or bad, social media usually has no record of it. I might briefly complain about the bad stuff in a post, but that's about it and that's not even often unless it somehow affects the blog. All of my social media accounts are mostly used to infrequently share my self-proclaimed witty musings, funny pictures and more recently, to promote my blogs. I have a very large fear of becoming 'that girl,' the one who just has to photograph and share every life moment that might be even remotely interesting. I've noticed with the rise of the insta-share concept, I've learned how much I enjoy living in the moment and not always trying to get my camera out. It's a lot easier to take photos as a review blogger than it is a vintage one, primarily because I don't have vintage fashion to show off, which is why I don't promote my IG here at all. 


As a result, I do a lot more liking and following on Instagram than I do posting, but during said lurker expeditions I find a lot of good vintage shop accounts, some of whom simply promote their finds there and others who run their shops exclusively on Instagram. I'm still a noob to Instagram in general, but especially to the vintage side of things, where I'm finding new shops to peruse and drool over on the daily. I thought I'd start a new series about the vintage shops on IG for those just starting out on IG like I am and needing a bit of direction. When on a shop's account, checking out who they're following is also a great way to find new shops. You get caught in the maze of going through so many pages you have to press the back arrow about 8 times, but it's worth it. lol 


*Quick disclaimer, I own none of the photos in this post. They are just here for display and promotion purposes.*



1. Simplicity is Bliss Vintage (@sibvintage)
Just Listed | vintage 1970s pink chevron stripe cotton sun dress | size large | shop link in profile
I just found this shop last week and I haven't finished looking through the feed yet, but I'm in love already. There are so many spring dresses in this shop right now and many more that have already been sold. It's a constant source of inspiration on what colors, what styles, and what patterns to wear for the season, and the condition that the garments are in is pretty awesome. The shop is based on Etsy, but the outfits are featured on IG. There's not much else to say; I love this shop and the clothing it features. This dress here is fun, light, and would be perfect for a casual day out and about. 



2. Gossamer Sells (@gossamersells)
1920s silk and beaded chiffon great -xs/s. Very good. No major holes. Discoloration and underarm yellowing. $120.
This shop's been quiet for a couple of months so I don't know if they're still in operation, but there's no shortage of eye candy left behind to peruse. If you're a fan of Edwardian or flapper fashion, this is definitely a shop for you to look at. I even saw a Victorian walking suit in there. For items that are at or even a little older than the 100-year mark, they are in great condition and many of them are still wearable if you're careful. Everything in there is so elegant and glamorous, and I found it so difficult to choose just one item to put in this post. I finally went with this 20s chiffon dress. It's a beaut and in very good condition for its age, so I'm not surprised it sold as quickly as it did. So if your favorite decades are between the 1910s and 1930s, you'll have fun in this shop.



3. 1919 Vintage (@1919vintage)
New in the shop * 1950s lemon grove dress * medium
1919 Vintage is one of my favorite shops on IG because of gawgeous gems like this one. This was one of my favorite shops on Etsy, then I found it on IG and now I can stalk the shop items in peace on a daily basis. I love collars like the one on this dress, and the button detailing fits the style of this dress perfectly. The color is another thing that gets me; this would have been great for Easter. The shop is updated often, everything is well taken care of after Anne gets to it, and while some of the prices are a bit high, they're completely worth it. This is an amazing shop and if I had more money to spare, Anne would have a significant chunk of it. LOL 



4. Vacation Vintage (@vacationvintage)
Just Listed! * 1950s Doris Dodson two-piece pique dress set with carved buttons | sz XS In the etsy shop: www.vacationvintage.com
Couldn't you just plotz over this dress set? I am dying over the hem of the top and the buttons going down the front; there's something so structured yet feminine about this look and I love it. From the collar to the sleeves, the cut of the top and light pleating in the skirt, it just flows together so well. Now white isn't a color I'd wear from head to toe because I'm messy as all hell, but I think this would be a classy choice for a business meeting. The entire shop is full of beautiful garments like this one. It too is based on Etsy but we'll get sneak peeks of upcoming additions on IG. I've seen more looks from around the 50s so if that's your decade, check out Vacation Vintage. 



5. Static Vintage (@staticvintage)
#Vintage #Givenchy Quilted Purse. #Black #Leather #Gold #Chain strap. $175. Call 415-422-0046 for purchase. We ship worldwide.
What drew me to this shop wasn't the fashion, at least not quite in the same sense as many of the other shops on this list. This shop is actually not based online; it's a ground location but the goods are still advertised on IG. What drew me to Static Vintage was the collection of old school sports jackets and the retro kitschy t-shirts that I adore. Then I saw this Givenchy quilted purse and it was game over. As I've gotten older, I've slowly morphed into my mother with the size of the purses I carry. I know it's because I need more things now than I did when I was 17, but still. I'm at a briefcase level right now. lol So when I saw this much smaller bag--and I've always been a sucker for quilted purses--I was sold. I don't know how I'd fit everything I need in there, but challenge accepted. lol



6. Raleigh Vintage (@raleighvintage)
This super adorable 1950s sundress was just listed! Go get her... www.raleighvintage.com
How season-appropriate is this dress, right? I want to say that this beauty has since been sold, but if there was a dress that embodies spring, I'd say this was one of the finalists. It's well taken care of, it photographs well (to me, anyway but what do I know? lol), and hello--it's fabulous! The shop is based in Raleigh but there is the option to shop online as well, and the goods are advertised on IG. Both the website and the IG feed are well-designed and styled, and the clothes are in impeccable condition. There's a wide array of vintage in this store, so there's a little bit of everything if you're a fan of various decades. 



7. Mill Street Vintage (@millstreetvintage)
New on Etsy | Turf Club * vintage dead stock dress with tags
Plotzville, population 1. LOL I've made no secret that I have a serious hard-on for flapper-inspired dresses, and this one is no different. I adore absolutely everything about this dress. The leaf pattern and beaded outline, the colors, the sparkly bow print, and the beaded fringe at the bottom, the silhouette it creates, ugh. Mill Street's homebase is on Etsy but they share the goodies on IG. The feed is updated regularly, everything I've seen is in stellar condition, and while things are a little pricey they're more than worth it. If you're a window shopper like me though, then this is a wonderful source of inspiration and learning about the styles of different decades. 



8. Kay Dove Vintage (@kaydovevintage)
1950s Atomic Print Dress from Kay Dove Vintage $124 #vintagedress #50sstyle #50sfashion #shop #etsy #fashion #style #dress #vintagefashion #vintagestyle #midcentury
Kay Dove is a shop I found a couple of months ago, and it too is like an online candy store. Casual wear, formal wear, dresses, separates, outerwear, swimwear, this shop has it all. On occasion, there are even some vintage b&w photos thrown in there showcasing retro fashion. I've been trying to include dresses from these shops that are good for spring, so I went with this mint green polka dotted dress. I'm loving the neckline and the smaller skirt although I'm sure if you wanted to wear a small petticoat underneath you probably could. In short, I love everything about this dress and the shop is amazeballs. The specialty is midcentury, so if that's your thing then check out Kay Dove. The Etsy shop is currently closed as the owner is moving residences, but it'll be back in a couple of weeks. 



9. Shop Vintage Bowtique (@shopvintagebowtique)
Such a BEAUTY! Vintage sequined black and silver blouse. Has a beautiful butterfly pattern and shape (look at the bottom of the shirt) the back of the shirt is identical to the front. Size:M/L $38 If interested please leave email address below for an invoice. #shopvintagebowtique #shopsmall #ilovevintage #vintagelover #vintagewoman #vintagestylist #fashion #naturalista
Oh my goodness. To say that it was difficult to choose just one item from this shop would probably be the understatement of the season. I had this obstacle with each shop, but this one was on an entirely different level. LOL I saw this Ralph Lauren flared pencil skirt and this stunning pair of earrings, and couldn't decide which one I wanted to put up here. I finally decided on this blouse because it spoke to the sequined, Farrah-haired disco queen living somewhere inside me and I had to let her out for a few minutes. I love the bottom hem of the blouse and the massive butterfly; as a matter of fact I have a sequined butterfly headband that matches this blouse to a T. (See what I did there? Wasn't intentional. lol) I think it would be sweet to tone this down with a pair of jeans and flats, or dress it up a little with black polyester (gotta keep it decade-appropriate, ya know) pleated pants and kitten heels. 



10.  Shantilly Lace Vintage (@)shantillylacevintage)
L22-12 Sise. X-small - small Skirt only Waist. 11 - 16 inches flat Hips. Free Length. 27 inches Flaws. None Original price was $16 shipped Then 50 % off at $8 shipped Now 60% off at $6.40 shipped
If you're a plus-size vintage enthusiast, this shop is for you. I know this skirt isn't a plus-size one, but it's fabulous anyway, isn't it? lol This is one of the more active accounts, as the shop is updated on almost a daily basis. Many of the dresses are plus-size and since the owner is plus-size herself you get the added bonus of being able to see how the dress would look on you if you're a similar size. Here's one of my favorite plus-size dresses in the shop, although it has since been sold. Different kinds and styles of dress are in this shop, but if you're a fan of circle-style bottoms, then you'll fall in love with this shop as soon as I did. There is a profile for the shop on Etsy, but it looks like the home base is on Instagram. 



11. Butch Wax Vintage (@butchwaxvintage)
JUST LISTED on the #ButchWaxVintage #Etsy: 👀 Ring the alarms... This is a drop-dead STUNNER. This wickedly sexy, swirl-embossed inky black #silksatin #1950s #extremehourglass #cocktaildress with fabulous #peekaboo #reversehalter neckline, triple side pleated #shelfbust, nipped #waspwaist, slim tapered #pencilskirt, and triple layered 3D #mermaid "cha cha" hem! Too damn good. #MintCondition, size #Medium with a waist just over 26 inches. ✨💕✨ #forsale #bombshell #highendvintage #vlv #rab #vintagepinup
And finally, I found this gem last week when I found Simplicity is Bliss, and my need to look through the IG feed on a daily basis is already at problem status. lol Just like the other shops I've already profiled, all of the items are in excellent shape, they photograph well, and the garments themselves are stunning. Amanda, the owner, is a total babe and her story is a pretty interesting one; I suggest giving it a read. There's also a base for the shop on Etsy in addition to the website; you can purchase from either one. There's a fun, sort of playful feel to this shop and I love it. In true #relationshipgoals fashion, her boyfriend also runs a vintage shop, but he specializes in mens' vintage tennis shoes so if you're a retro shoe connoisseur, sports fan or have a dude in your life who is, go take a gander at the IG feed. Also, check out this coat. It should immediately inspire fangirling and anger at the person who purchased it. LOL


*edit: I'm sorry the photo displayed for this shop was accidentally the same one for the Vintage Bowtique. The coding for the picture has been giving me hell since I started and it showed up correctly at first. This should have been the dress displayed. My apologies!*



I'd like to do another one of these round-up type of posts, so I really hope you liked this one. It's far from innovative and I'm sure there are tons of these kinds of posts, but it's the first one I've done so I'd like to keep it going. All of those ladies (and some men) work really hard to find the items that they sell, they put up great photographs, and I'd love to continue showing them off if I can. So maybe some time in the future I'll put up another post. To be honest, I think you should follow just about all of the vintage shop accounts on Instagram, but this was a very condensed list of a few shops I found recently and wanted to pass along. I apologize if you're an OG on Instagram and this post didn't provide you with any new shops to look over. But for the newbies like myself, I hope you were able to find a few shops on this list to your liking. I'll be doing a part 2 of these probably at the beginning of the month; I've already got the list together. I hope you enjoyed your Sunday and I'll see you tomorrow!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment