Monday, March 28, 2016

TNT Preview: Baby Doll

'Ello! I'm sorry this is going up later than usual; I've been in bed since yesterday evening with a cluster headache that really knocked me on my ass. Anyway, how was your Easter weekend? We'll be watching a late TNT this week; the 1956 dramedy Baby Doll will be closing out our movies for March. 
Wikipedia


Baby Doll stars Carroll Baker as the titular Baby Doll Meighan, a virgin teen bride who finds herself in the center of a deep rivalry between two cotton gin owners. One of those owners is her husband, the middle-aged Archie Meighan (Karl Malden) and the other, Italian gin owner and the Meighan's neighbor Silva Vacarro (Eli Wallach). Archie begins losing business to Vacarro, causing him to slip into debt and get his furniture repossessed. To get back at him, Archie burns down Vacarro's gin, Vacarro decides to get both the truth and revenge by focusing his attentions on the alluring Baby Doll, who ends up stuck in the middle of their war. Here's a trailer:



If you watched all of this month's TNTs, you'll notice that they all covered controversial topics. The Condemned Spotlight was a March feature on TCM that brought attention to the various films that were once condemned by the Catholic Legion of Decency. The goal of the organization was to combat and censor films that the board found salacious, immoral or otherwise corrupt. It kinda puts me in the mind of being a religious FCC. lol 

Anyway, this week's actual TNT was supposed to be The Moon is Blue, but that was a Daily Cinema feature during a SUTS, so I wanted to choose something we hadn't seen before. Baby Doll comes on after The Moon is Blue this Thursday at 10pm EST. Because it does air a little later in the evening, I wanted to make sure I included some online streaming links in case you won't be able to watch when it airs. Here's where I found the film online:


Vudu ($2.00/rent) | Xfinity (has to be unlocked with an Xfinity account) | Amazon Instant ($2.99/rent) | iTunes ($14.99)

Also, don't forget that after airing on TCM the movie is available for free on the TCM On Demand app for a week. After logging in the app with your provider information, you can unlock access to the movies available for viewing. Personally, that's the way I'd go because I'm cheap and already have the app. LOL I hope you're enjoying your Monday! As for me, my head is still thumping so if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drown in my pain. See you soon!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment