Monday, February 8, 2016

TNT Preview: Imitation of Life

Howdy! Did you enjoy the Super Bowl yesterday? It was a rather slow-moving game to me but since it's the last bit of football I'll see until September, I tried to watch as much as I could. lol Anyway, let's talk about this week's TNT, the 1934 drama Imitation of Life
Wikipedia
Imitation of Life stars Claudette Colbert as Bea, a single mother struggling to make ends meet, who befriends Juanita, a Black woman with her own daughter to raise. Bea takes Juanita in as her housekeeper in exchange for room and board and, after discovering how well Juanita makes pancakes, tries to parlay that into a bit of financial freedom for them both. The real story, however, surrounds their daughters, both of whom give their mothers headaches as they age. Juanita's daughter, a light-skinned girl, decides to reject her heritage out of embarrassment and 'pass,' while Bea's daughter later finds herself fancying her mother's beau. This film was adapted from a 1933 novel of the same name, and was remade a couple decades later with Lana Turner. Here's the trailer:


I try to stay away from racially charged movies most of the time because so many of them hit rather close to home for me, but Imitation of Life sounds really intriguing to me. I love that something like this is airing during Black History Month as well because for many people in the community, especially lighter-skinned people like me, a common issue has and always will be whether or not we're trying to 'pass.' It's still a very relevant issue, so I'll be looking forward to see how the situation is approached.

Imitation of Life will be on this Thursday at our regular TNT time of 8PM EST.  Here's where you can watch the film online:
Vudu ($9.99/buy) | Amazon Instant ($3.99/rent) | 

How've you been enjoying this first week of BHS Spotlight? I know that at the time this goes live, we're a little behind but I still hope you've liked the posts so far. Have a great Monday and I'll see you soon!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment